Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Laudry?

Hi!  I am usually over on paif but I am trying to get ready for my lo's arrival in September and I figured that you ladies are the experts.  I have heard that you are supposed to use Dreft for everything baby related.  But that is like $12 a bottle and as an extreme couponer it is hard for me to cough up that much for some detergent.  DH just got some Purex baby for $1 (gave him a coupon) and I was wondering if anyone has tried that.  I mean obviously I would use the Dreft if it is better for her but I was just wondering if anyone tried anything else that worked.  Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Laudry?

• You don't need to use Dreft. I use Tide Free and Clear. No experience with Purex Baby but you definitely can use other detergent besides Dreft.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Any "Free Clear" laundry soap should be ok as long as LO doesn't have sensitivities to it. I use ALL F and C and a very small bit of regular Downy. So far, so good.

I haven't smelled it, but have read others say Dreft is very perfumey.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Dreft is actually no better and, depending on your stance on chemicals and your child's skin sensitivity, could be way worse.  It smells "babyish" which is why a lot of people like it but that scent comes with the high cost of lots of chemicals.  Free and clear detergents (any brand) are the way to go.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Anything without scent should be fine.  We actually just use Gain (powder) on all of our laundry and neither of my kids have ever had an issue with it. I have severely sensitive skin and Gain is the only one that doesn't cause hives for me.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • With DS#1, I tried dreft, ivory snow and purex baby, they all were shower gifts and worked fine, DS had no reaction. They do all have a scent to them. Once I ran out of those, I just used all free and clear because I can buy it at Sam's club and can use it for everyone's laundry.
  • I've never used dreft. It's full of perfumes, which really isn't great for some babies. We use whatever free and clear detergent is on sale and use it for all of us. There's no reason to use different detergent for the baby's stuff than for yours considering they spend so much time snuggled up on you anyway.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • psthielpsthiel member
    I have an allergy to scented detergents, so I've always used Free and Clear detergents. I like Tide the best and there's always a ton of coupons for it. I use it for DD's clothes too now and it works great.
  • I used Dreft to wash all the clothes I have because I got it as a gift, when I run out I plan on using a detergent without a ton of chemicals in it. Dreft smells nice and makes the clothes soft. If I keep on getting detergent for free then ill use it!
  • mnj05mnj05 member
    We use regular ole tide. DS hasn't had any reactions to it. Remember, whatever you decide to use, make sure your clothes are washed in it as well since baby will be coming in contact with it.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• MO60910MO60910 member
    I use Pyrex baby for my lo and it works great and smells awesome plus it is cheap ;)
  • imageelmoali:
    Dreft is actually no better and, depending on your stance on chemicals and your child's skin sensitivity, could be way worse.  It smells "babyish" which is why a lot of people like it but that scent comes with the high cost of lots of chemicals.  Free and clear detergents (any brand) are the way to go.

Ditto. We use All Free & Clear or Target/Up&Up free and clear - whichever is cheaper - on all our clothes (not just LOs). 

• jadweddjadwedd member
    Thanks!  I feel so much better now :)
  • KMac570KMac570 member

imagemnj05:
    We use regular ole tide. DS hasn't had any reactions to it. Remember, whatever you decide to use, make sure your clothes are washed in it as well since baby will be coming in contact with it.

Same here! 

Miscarriage in January 2012 at 8 weeks
    Subsequently diagnosed with low P4, LOR. MH DX low motility, varicocele 
    BFP in July 2012 (Gonal-f + trigger + IUI#2 (B2B) + prometrium)
    Lost Baby A prior to 7 weeks; large SCH; Baby B (Bug) was born in March 2013
    BFP June 2014; EDD February 19, 2015
  • I coupon as well and paying that much for laundry detergent would make me sick to my stomach :)

I've just used whatever I had on hand with all 3 kids, Wisk, All, whatever. I've been lucky that no one has had sensitive skin.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• We use Tide Free and Clear and it has worked great for us.

• IMO, any Free and Clear will do. I use it for all my laundry, not just baby's. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageDebbie0580:
    You don't need to use Dreft. I use Tide Free and Clear. No experience with Purex Baby but you definitely can use other detergent besides Dreft.

^This

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemnj05:

This. We also use regular Tide without problems.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • If you're serious about savings and making it work for baby, you can make your own for PENNIES.
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• I use regular Purex and its great for us. Actually used All too since it was on sale. No problems whatsoever. No need to use specific ones for your household unless you find that LO gas an allergy. We keep an eye out but it's all good so far.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"