April 2013 Moms
Options

Savings account for baby

Anyone know what the best type of saving account is to start for baby? We want her to have something with a good return where we're able to start depositing checks or gifts from family/friends. 

Re: Savings account for baby

• Options

What do you plan on using it for?  If you want to set up a college fund a 529 is best.  If you want to set up just a savings that LO can use when they are older for whatever, shop different banks and see what they offer for interest rates.

We have a 529 and a savings account set up for LO.  DH set up the 529 so beyond the fact that it's to be used for educational purposes only, I don't know much about it.  The savings account is through our local bank.

• Options
    tmrchitmrchi member
    we're starting off with a regular savings account at our local bank, just waiting on his SSN so we can get it set up.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really think a 529 is best, especially if tuition is a big concern, which it is for us. DH did a lot of research into it and for now we're putting everything into the 529s for the kids.
    If you plan on setting up some other type of account, you may want to consider a trust fund rather than an account that is outright in LO's name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Actually our financial advisor recommended a ROTH IRA over the 529. If your kid doesn't go to college or gets great scholarships, etc., you can use the money however you want. That's how it was explained to me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My brother started a bank account for our LO and so we've just deposited any money that we've been given for her into that. We also plan on starting a 529 or ROTH IRA for her with our own money and keeping the savings account for other things.
  • Options
    JSS1002JSS1002 member

imageMKC12/22/2006:
    Actually our financial advisor recommended a ROTH IRA over the 529. If your kid doesn't go to college or gets great scholarships, etc., you can use the money however you want. That's how it was explained to me.

ROTH IRA is definitely the best -- I contribute the max amount to mine every year!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageJSS1002:

imageMKC12/22/2006:

ROTH IRA is definitely the best -- I contribute the max amount to mine every year!

Yup! That's our plan.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers

• Options
    Regarding the Roth IRA, that's fine as long as you know there's an annual cap on how much you can contribute, and it's not much. Also grandparents, etc. cam contribute to the 529 but are constrained by the limitations of the IRA. A Roth IRA has a lot of rules and limitations.

If your kid gets scholarships they can pass the 529 on to their kids and possibly their siblings.

So you should consider how much you might contribute annually.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"