January 2013 Moms

Formula moms - starting solids

My ped mentioned possibly starting solids in the nest two months. She said formula fed babies need ore iron by 6 months. I know Mr. C is not ready for any solids yet. He is completely uninterested. I know the "food before one motto" but is that just for breast fed babies? Just curious when everyone is thinking of starting solids. 

Re: Formula moms - starting solids

• No, I wouldn't worry about it.  We'll start solids 6 months or after and I wouldn't worry too much about intake.  
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I've never heard that. LO is formula fed and most formulas are iron fortified like PP said. I don't plan on starting solids until LO is interested but I do know that it shouldn't be their main source of food. You still have to give them formula up to a year because solids at this age are more of them experimenting and what not.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Our formula is fortified with Iron, so no need to have an extra intake; however pedis here tell you to start "experimenting" with food around 4, 4.5 months; with things like shredded apple or applesauce; pureed carrot, potatoes, spinach and such

We'll porbably start introducing some in the next month; we are totally skipping cereal, is useless unless your LO has a weight problem 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • imageMichieU79:
    I always thought it was breastfed babies that are more likely to need more iron after 6 months. nbsp;Most formulas are fortified with iron. nbsp;Check yours. nbsp;We are planning on starting solids at 6 months and we will be skipping the constipation inducing cereals and going right to the good stuff. nbsp;;nbsp;

This. My ped mentioned ff babies can start the same time as bf babies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You will probably "know" when it's time. DS was holding himself up in the high chair and was really excited to try his first sweet potatoes I mixed with cereal. If they push it out with their tongue the whole time they probably aren't ready, but there is no harm in testing it out after the pedi gives the ok!

i formula feed, too. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have never heard this. I took a class on introducing solids and the nutritionist said that if you can wait until 6 months that is best. We're also skipping grains (rice cereal, oatmeal, etc) and starting with vegetables and then fruit. The grains don't have much nutrition and are difficult for babies to digest (they lack certain enzymes to help them digest these until they're 1).

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • I think most formula is iron fortified. I would agree that it's most likely to be BF babies that need the iron.
  • imageMichieU79:

I always thought it was breastfed babies that are more likely to need more iron after 6 months.  Most formulas are fortified with iron.  Check yours.  

We are planning on starting solids at 6 months and we will be skipping the constipation inducing cereals and going right to the good stuff.  ;) 

All of this. 

• I had originally planned to start solids at 6 months. I may start a bit sooner if he seems ready but for now he is in no way interested in food yet.  
  • You should check first if he achieved the milestones for introducing solids. I started feeding solids at 6 months cause baby showed interest in solids. When you decide to start solids you could use this https://goodmomming.com/ for recommendations according to baby's age and some "what to avoid" stuff. Hope it helps you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"