Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Too much milk?

The post below made me question hiw much Milk DS 21 months is getting. He for sure drinks 3 full sippy cups a day with meals and if he asks for a refill we normally do give him more. He also eats full, well balanced meals. Should I be concerned? Anyone else have a big milk drinker? We don't do juice, should I substitute water with lunch? TIA!!

Re: Too much milk?

• I think it sounds fine.  If he likes milk, and drinks it, then it's fine for him to drink.  There's no drawback to it - especially if he's drinking it with meals or as a snack.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • As long as he's not living off of milk (you said he eats balances meals), I don't see it as a problem. I do like to be in the habit (this goes for DD) of drinking only water at meal times and saving other drinks for their own occasion. I feel like this encourages water drinking and doesn't encourage unnecessary weight gain. Also, my DD gets constipated with too much dairy. Most people are lactose intolerant on some level.
  • Loading the player...
  • Netty_3Netty_3 member
    I would offer water. We've known of another child having white bm from too much milk. Also milk can lead to stones...not that that's eminent... just offer water at one meal instead of milk.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Our Pediatrician said something along the lines that toddlers should get 16-20 oz of dairy a day and no more than 24 oz of dairy total per the American Academy of Pediatrics  recommendations. So we give our LO two sippy cups of milk a day (8 oz each) since he usually eats yogurt, cheese, etc throughout the day as well. Anything after the 16 oz of milk in the sippy is water (we stay away from juice as well). Our Ped also said that too much dairy can lead to constipation along with some other health related issues that I can't remember right now. Anyway, bottom line, our Ped and the AAP recommends no more that 24 oz of diary per day. Hope that helps!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejesusita2002:
    Our Pediatrician said something along the lines that toddlers should get 16-20 oz of dairy a day and no more than 24 oz of dairy total per the American Academy of Pediatrics  recommendations. So we give our LO two sippy cups of milk a day (8 oz each) since he usually eats yogurt, cheese, etc throughout the day as well. Anything after the 16 oz of milk in the sippy is water (we stay away from juice as well). Our Ped also said that too much dairy can lead to constipation along with some other health related issues that I can't remember right now. Anyway, bottom line, our Ped and the AAP recommends no more that 24 oz of diary per day. Hope that helps!

This! Yes

• I think as long as he's eating plenty of food it's not a concern. DS drinks between 12-18oz of milk a day (so 2-3 full cups), and only has water other than that, no juice. Some kids just really like their milk!

One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Same here. And DD does get constipated when we go over the recommended limit. We did just start giving DD a little juice (it's actually only a couple drops, literally, of grape juice in a big sippy full of water).  

imagejesusita2002:
    Our Pediatrician said something along the lines that toddlers should get 16-20 oz of dairy a day and no more than 24 oz of dairy total per the American Academy of Pediatrics  recommendations. So we give our LO two sippy cups of milk a day (8 oz each) since he usually eats yogurt, cheese, etc throughout the day as well. Anything after the 16 oz of milk in the sippy is water (we stay away from juice as well). Our Ped also said that too much dairy can lead to constipation along with some other health related issues that I can't remember right now. Anyway, bottom line, our Ped and the AAP recommends no more that 24 oz of diary per day. Hope that helps!
  • The amount of milk my kid drinks is something I just can't get worked about. She likes it, it's healthy as long she eats good solid meals otherwise.

I rotate one sippy of milk and then one sippy of water. Sometimes she wants milk again. It's not a battle I'm willing to endure a tantrum over.

I asked my pedi about this because the nest got me all scared about kidney stones, white BMs etc. He told me as long as it wasn't all her diet was made up of and there weren't a ton of other underlying issues, it was perfectly okay.

• KDR1979KDR1979 member

Our pedi says no more than 18oz milk/day. I think it can interfere with iron absorption.

We give the babies water during the day.

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

• Our pedi recommends no more than 20 oz too, but Maesyn is a big milk drinker, so it's hard, but we usually stick to that. She likes water too, though. We also give her some juice because she has constipation issues even without too much milk. It's not usually too hard during the day to limit milk, but bedtime is an issue because she usually wants milk, not water. If you are having any constipation issues, I would suggest introducing more juice/water, but it doesn't sound like too much (I guess depending how big your cups are).
  • adge629adge629 member
    My LO dr said not to be concerned unless he isn't eating, that could mean she is getting to full from the milk. 
    image  image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS sees a pediatric nutritionist, and she said to limit him to 20 oz of milk a day.  I find that impossible to stick to.  DS LOVES milk and asks for it all the time.  I do limit him, but we're not at 20 oz yet.  Trying to work our way down.

I'd say he drinks about 30 oz on the weekends but only 22 during the week.

PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would sub some water with the milk. If he's having three 12oz sippies and refills, that's 72 oz. that could potentially cause some nutritional issues/medical issues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"