October 2011 Moms

Hearing eval tomorrow... updated!

Kinda long backstory:nbsp;I mentioned at DD's 12 month wellbaby visit I was concerned about L's speech, in that she didn't have hardly any words, only like 2, which at 12m was fine, but though it worth mentioning, she said we'd check again at 18m, she had about 56 words when we went in, and I told the Pedi how I thought her receptive language was spot on, and wasn't concerned about her understanding, but that she just wasn't saying much, she babbles some, and repeats a few words, but not much. She was referred for a speech eval amp; a hearing test. nbsp;We met with Child Development services last week, and decided that although they opened a case for her they didn't see any severe enough delays to warrant a full speech workup, but if she didn't make gains in the next 6 months they could reexamine her case. nbsp;Which I was happy with, I more or less wanted someone besides me and MH Who thinks i'm nuts to tell me if they did/did not see any issues to be worried about.nbsp;nbsp;The Pedi did want a hearing test done to complete the evaluation so we're going in for that tomorrow just to be sure. nbsp;What should I expect for that? I don't know what they did for her newborn one, I was very out of it after 27 hrs of labor... I'm not sure how they'd test hearing in a busy nonverbal toddler?nbsp;

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Hearing eval tomorrow... updated!

• Abby gone through hearing tests three times, so I can tell you exactly what they did for her! It's actually kind of fun for them. We sat in a sound-proof booth. Abby sat on my lap facing forward. There was a toy that could light up and make noise directly to my left, straight in front, and directly to my right. The hearing screener sat outside of the booth, behind a one-way mirror in front of us, so she could see in, but we couldn't see her. The screener would make sounds of varying loudness and pitches either on the right or on the left and as soon as Abby turned her head towards the sound, she was "rewarded" by the toy on that side being lit up. Between each sound, the screener would get Abby to focus back on center by lighting up the toy directly in front of us. Is this all making sense? 

Other than that, they did two other quick tests where they put ear-plug looking things in her hears to test for vibrations and pressure.

It all took about 15 minutes and was really easy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sometimes they do some conditionin to stimulus, like, if you eat this sound, put the block in the bucket. I haven't done any pediatric hearig tests in about 5 years, but they all have various equipment/set up.

It won't be a big deal though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Exactly what Kujay said. I took DD a few weeks ago. They stick ear plus in her ear and test the vibtarions and look for retraction in the eardrums. They also test the nerve by using the earplugs. Then I took DD into a booth and she sat on my lap. If she looked to the side where the sound was coming from a toy in a box wold light up to get her attention and reward her. The last thing they did was to put head phones on her and test her hearing. The headphones were placed behind her ears. It was al;l very easy and quick. DD didn't even squirm. I also just had DD evealuated for speech since she has maybe 5-6 words. She did qualify and we are waiting on having the family planning session now. But taking her to the ENT for hearing was my first step. Just to rule anything out. Good Luck!
  • aandgaandg member

My daughter wasn't talking much around 16 months so I took her to the pedi to get his opinion. The first thing he suggested was a hearing test. 

The first test they did was sit her in a booth and the dr sat outside and made sounds come from all different directions. She was supposed to turn her head towards the sounds. She did ok on this test, but they suggested another type of test for furthur infromation.

The next step was an OAE test where they put small ear pieces in her ears and were looking at the way her ears reacted to different types of sounds. On this test they found that she does have some hearing loss in the high frequency sounds, so now we are going back for more extensive testing to determine how severe the loss in that area is. They mentioned the possibility of hearing aids :(

BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We got back from the doctor a little while ago, The Audiologist did exactly what everyone else said, they did the OAE test on her eardrums/hair cells first, everything came back great with that, then did the test with 2 speakers on either side of her, she got bored with it quickly though and didnt cooperate, but with the OAE test they concluded her hearing is fine right now, but will see her again in 6 months when we reevaluate her speech development at her 2 year wellchild visit.  So far nobody has any concerns as long as she continues to develop language skills, she has good inflection in her voice, and is able to communicate in other ways, shes learned a few signs, and has already picked up 2 new words since her 18 month visit Eye/I and Bubbles, which comes out bubba!.  The whole thing has calmed my nerves a great deal and I can just play with her and not worry so much!  Thanks for the support everyone!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageAngLK987:
    We got back from the doctor a little while ago, The Audiologist did exactly what everyone else said, they did the OAE test on her eardrums/hair cells first, everything came back great with that, then did the test with 2 speakers on either side of her, she got bored with it quickly though and didnt cooperate, but with the OAE test they concluded her hearing is fine right now, but will see her again in 6 months when we reevaluate her speech development at her 2 year wellchild visit.  So far nobody has any concerns as long as she continues to develop language skills, she has good inflection in her voice, and is able to communicate in other ways, shes learned a few signs, and has already picked up 2 new words since her 18 month visit Eye/I and Bubbles, which comes out bubba!.  The whole thing has calmed my nerves a great deal and I can just play with her and not worry so much!  Thanks for the support everyone!

I am so glad that they think everything is fine and the hearing test went well! That is wonderful news!

image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't have any advice but will send thoughts and prayers your way. You'll have to update us with the results!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageAngLK987:
    We got back from the doctor a little while ago, The Audiologist did exactly what everyone else said, they did the OAE test on her eardrums/hair cells first, everything came back great with that, then did the test with 2 speakers on either side of her, she got bored with it quickly though and didnt cooperate, but with the OAE test they concluded her hearing is fine right now, but will see her again in 6 months when we reevaluate her speech development at her 2 year wellchild visit.  So far nobody has any concerns as long as she continues to develop language skills, she has good inflection in her voice, and is able to communicate in other ways, shes learned a few signs, and has already picked up 2 new words since her 18 month visit Eye/I and Bubbles, which comes out bubba!.  The whole thing has calmed my nerves a great deal and I can just play with her and not worry so much!  Thanks for the support everyone!

glad it went so well 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"