August 2012 Moms

I am a terrible mother.

The guilt I feel over this is overwhelming. I still feel sick just thinking about it. I hesitated to tell anyone that this happened because I feel such utter shame about it but it might act as a good lesson for us all.

On Wednesday, my husbands birthday, I let our beautiful son do a backwards somersault off of the changing table. He was unbuckled for just a second as I was getting his jammies on him. I had my torso up against the table so that he couldn't roll off as I turned my head to check on DD who was in the crib behind us and was suddenly crying. My son has pretty major mobility delays and receives therapy 2 hours a week for it. With his hypertonia he is very stiff and pretty inflexible. I would have NEVER guessed that he could throw his legs over his head and flip like that.

Thankfully after a few hours of observation in the ER it was determined that he was perfectly fine. Thankfully he landed on all fours but did have a little bump on his head too.

Learn from my mistake, ladies. Never assume that just because your baby hasn't done it before they can't do it. I hope none of you ever have to experience the trauma of one split second of recklessness. It will be a long time before I ever forgive myself.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I am a terrible mother.

• I am glad to hear everything is ok. You are not a bad mother. Bad things happen very quickly.  At 7 months DS fell off of the bed, right there is front of me while I was getting dressed one morning.  I looked down for half a second to button my pants and all of the sudden he was crying on the floor.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Thank god he's okay. You are not a terrible mother. Things happen to everyone, and I mean EVERYONE. Just this morning DD was up on her knees, playing with her toy box when she lost balance and face planted into it. She screamed for a good 5 minutes and now has a nice mark right on her cheek.

Stuff happens. You're an amazing mother. You protect them best you can, give them dozens of snuggles, and love them more than life. All of that is easy to see.

Chin up!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry purr! Please try to be kind to yourself, this could easily happen to any one of us. I am so glad he's okay! Huge hugs to you today! I do understand the guilt. Different scenerio, but I still have guilt and flashbacks to when my daughter broke her arm very badly a year ago. It's still sometimes like a heavy pit in my stomach. Such is life. Hugs!!!!!!

• No you're not. I've seen worse incidents where the baby came out of it just fine. Just thank your lucky stars it was only a near miss and give him some extra snuggles. We all have those moments. That said, I got goosebumps reading this. Thank God he's ok! Now, go treat yourself to your vice of choice!
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• You are not a terrible mom. Like everyone has said, these things happen. I can't tell you how many times DS has nose dived into things as he's learning to crawl and stand. It's going to be a long life of bumps and bruises for our LOs. Glad your DS is ok.

On a side note, I had to start changing DS on the floor, he rolls and sits up too much now and is too strong for me to keep him on the changing table.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"