Multiples

Handling strangers

Definitely get lots of attention when we go out, but what's been bothering me are the people who grab at the kids hands or feet which I'm shocked happens in today's world! It seems my daughter gets it more which is the worst bc she has stranger anxiety anyway! Before I can go to say no, their hand is out! Do you all get this? And if so how do you stop it?? Lately I'm a little rude because I'm afraid it will happen! Yesterday twice! And she claims she loves babies and oh yeah I don't know her! Then I'm dealing with an upset daughter! And hand sanitizer! No wonder we were told not to go out till first shots!

Re: Handling strangers

• Ugh. I had to have a script filled rather urgently, and had no choice but to take the twins with me. I covered their car seats with blankets and strangers STILL would lift the blankets and breathe their germy goodness on the babies. I have gotten pretty good at telling old ladies and small children alike "it is okay if you look at them, but please do not touch them.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • cover them as if they are asleep. most people won't remove the blanket from the car seat. 

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Missa_gMissa_g member
    Signs like these [https://mamabears.com/] can help some.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • That happens to me alot and my cousins husband works at the grocery store that i go to and hes always grabbing their hands! He bags groceries and stocks shelves! Omg all i can think about when it happens is that he just bagged someones raw meat! I always wipe their hands after he walks away!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, unfortunately it happens... and even if your DD cries, they still won't learn. I just try to look busy and not let them get me stopped...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was rude. If I saw hands reaching for the babies I snapped "Please don't touch them!". I'm sure people thought I was a ***. I don't really care, and I did say please!
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I get this all the time.  One time I was waiting in the UPS office and looked away to talk to someone.  This guy actually picked up DD from the stroller!  I was in shock.  She was loving it and he wasn't showing any outward signs of being sick but who picks up someone's kid?  She wasn't crying or fussing at all and even if she was...who picks up someone's kid???

Luckily I got what I needed and it was time to go but, in my opinion, that's one step from kidnapping. 

If we're out and someone touches them...I don't freak out too badly.  It's mostly feet touching and neither stick their feet in their mouth.

DD apparently has a personal rule that if you look at her, you have to pick her up.  She gets really mad if someone looks at her and then walks away.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • I once saw a lady with twins in a stroller and she had a big sign attached to the stroller that said something nice like "Thanks for admiring us but please don't touch us because our immune systems are very fragile" - and to me (a stranger who stopped to smile at the cute babes, but would not have touched them!) it was a nice way of setting a boundary while still acknowledging people want to greet them.
    Our journey to parenthood began in July 2010. After a great deal of heartache, we are expecting di/di twins in November 2013. We are a two-mom family, and write about our journey as a way of providing support for other families like ours at http://mothershood.wordpress.com Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagemothershood:
    I once saw a lady with twins in a stroller and she had a big sign attached to the stroller that said something nice like "Thanks for admiring us but please don't touch us because our immune systems are very fragile" - and to me (a stranger who stopped to smile at the cute babes, but would not have touched them!) it was a nice way of setting a boundary while still acknowledging people want to greet them.

Oh I like this idea, may have to steal this after mine are here!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The hospital where they were born and their doctor both gave us a handful of little red stop signs that attach to the car seats or stroller that say - Please wash your hands before touching mine and Prevent RSV on the back.  I have not had one person touch them when we've been out.  They see it and typically back up a couple feet.  Not sure if they are available to purchase but you might ask you pediatrician if they have some.

Good luck!  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"