Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Probably overreacting...

DS is going to be 11 months old next Sunday. He still isn't crawling. He will get up on all fours and rock back and forth, and he'll keep his arms up and pull himself around dragging his legs behind him, but not actually crawl. He also doesn't pull himself into a sitting position, and doesn't pull himself up on things, but will stand holding something if we put him that way. He's finally in the last couple of days figured out how to bend his knees and walk if we're holding his hands, but only does this once in awhile and only for a few steps before he doesn't want to anymore. I don't know if I should wait until his 1 year check up next month, or call the doctor now. He wasn't concerned at his 9 month appointment, but that was 2 months ago. Anybody else's babies not crawling at 11 months?
imagePhotobucket width="180px"> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Probably overreacting...

• Options
    Crawling isn't a developmental milestone. Some babies just never do it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemabenner1:
    What about the not sitting himself up or pulling himself up?
    imagePhotobucket width="180px"> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagechicagocubsfan23:
    imagemabenner1:
    What about the not sitting himself up or pulling himself up?

11 months isn't too late in the pulling up and cruising thing, either. Some babies don't walk until well after 1 year.

The only thing I'd be mildly concerned about is the sitting up on his own. DS started doing this while rolling-he'd roll over and up, and I still can't figure it out.

• Options
    lskay00lskay00 member
    Crawling is not really a milestone anymore.  Some babies never crawl.  DD never did, DS just started some.  One or two 'steps' and then down on his belly.  He will be 11 months on Monday.  Don't worry, Mama, he'll get it!
    Stefani Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The way you and I think of crawling is not haw doctors do any more they consider crawling any method the baby has of getting where he or she wants to go, so scooting, or rolling. Ans like previous posts said it isn't a milestone.

DS wouldn't roll over for the longest time he was over 7 months old when he rolled over for the first time (by himself--literally he did it in his crib before I went in to get him in the morning and one one saw him do it).

He decided to learn how to rollover, sit up and  crawl in a matter of 3 weeks. Just you wait for your DS to do something similar. As funny as DS is when he crawls there are times when I wish he would still be in the same spot I left him in--those were the days!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    S is 9 months and not crawling and the pedi said not to worry about it. It isn't a developmental thing. Some just skip and go right to walking. In fact, she said to enjoy the non mobile time. You'll want it back once they do start moving!
  • Options

Our little one does the whole army crawl/drag thing too. No standing up or even acting like he's interested in standing up on his own. And still can't get himself into a sitting position on his own. However, he can sit up on his own and take off "crawling" from a sitting position.

My pediatrician said not to worry about his gross motor skills at this point...to just enourage him by letting him hold on to the couch or coffee table to get the feel for standing on his own. She said her own daughter was a late "crawler" and a late walker...not walking until she was 15 months old.

Little man is not very mobile, but he's very vocal...there's a lot to be said about what babies spend their energy on. Mine spends his learning how to make sounds...he says mama, dada, na-na (which sounds like he's saying his name), waves bye bye and makes a sound just like it, and does many more. His baby friends who are just about the same age are mostly walking or pulling up, but not very vocal at all. They chose to spend their energy learning gross motor first. It's hard not to worry when they don't hit these milestones right on the money...but there's a reason it's an average - there has to be babies way above average and way below that average to get the "average."

Sounds like you are a wonderful mommy! Keep up the great job, girl! :o

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My DD will be 11 months on the 23rd and she isn't crawling or pulling up on things.  She got herself from her stomach to a seated position once in her crib, but that's it.  I never even think about it or worry about it.  Don't worry!  He's fine!
  • Options

According to my mom I never crawled, nor showed any interest in crawling.  I did starting pulling myself up around 10.5 months, and within 2 weeks I was walking.

DS is 10 months and shows not the least bit of interest in crawling.  He can pull himself up from a sitting position, but can't get to a sitting position when he is lying down unless one of us holds onto his legs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"