May 2013 Moms

Exclusive pumping?

Is anyone else doing exclusive pumping? Or has anyone done it before? I would love some tips and tricks if you have any!

Re: Exclusive pumping?

• I heard that it's best to avoid the bottle for the first two weeks. I'm definitely interested in people's responses to this question.

• I have been doing it because my baby won't nurse well and it's just awful. It takes a lot longer to feed plus the dishes are driving me crazy. I don't really have any tips.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I exclusively pumped with DS for 6 months due to him not latching. It's definitely more work with the dishes and all the logistics around it but totally doable! 

Some tips I have:

-Get multiple (like 4) sets of pumping parts so you don't have to do dishes more than twice a day.

-Once you use a set you can put them in the fridge until the next session rather than washing them to keep bacteria from growing. I would only do this once though, and with a newborn at first I'd wash after each use but as they get older you can get a little more lenient.

-Use a hands free pump bra!!! I just cut two holes out of an old sports bra but this thing seriously saved me, I could still hold DS, feed him a bottle, do housework, ect while I pumped.

Here we go again! 2 u 2 :-) BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been EPing for 6 weeks now. I made a hands free bra 3 actually out of an old sports bra and that allows me to pump while feeding a bottle. The boys eat about 1620 bottles a day so instead of washing everything by hand we just run the dishwasher every 1224 hours. You have to have the bottles for it but its made our lives so much easier. Plus we have a steam sanitize setting so I know everything is extra clean.
    I pump when they eat and that has been enough for us. My supply keeps up with both of them but nothing more than that.
    If you have any supply issues or want to work up a stash I recommend power pumping. Pump 20m then rest 10m then 10m then rest 10m and so on for one hour as often as you'd like. I do it at least once a day and sometimes more on the weekend. The boys eat a lot!
    I actually prefer to EP over breast simply because I can feed both babies burp and change them in 30m plus pump where as I doubt I could be that efficient with one at a time on the breast.
    It's not the best option for sure but we have had a slew of obstacles and this way they get BM no matter what.
    HTH!
    TTC since 3/4/2010
    Me: PCOS, DH: normal
    Started seeing RE 11/10/2011
    8/31/2012 = BFP!!
    First Ultrasound... TRIPLETS! EDD 5/11/13
    Baby w/ no HB @ 10w4d - We love you angel baby.
    Baby A & B doing great. A/S 12/10/12 - Healthy BOYS!
    Sawyer & Silas born at 33+6 on 3/29/13
    imageimage
    imageView Raw Image" height="250" width="375">

image"Lilypie">image

• Thank you all so much for your responses! Pumping has greatly relieved my frustration even though it hasn't been long at all... Feeding issues are the hardest thing I've had to deal with so far so I really can't complain. It is helpful to read other's responses though!
  • imagePetraStonegirl:
    imagejteneback:
    I have been doing it because my baby won't nurse well and it's just awful. It takes a lot longer to feed plus the dishes are driving me crazy. I don't really have any tips.

I was due to issues postbirth. I can tell you that I was pumping every 2 hours to build supply and bottle feeding every 3. I had incredible support with both baby and dishes, and it was utterly exhausting. We were able to reestablish latch on one breast only, So now I breast feed on one and then pump the other right afterwards. Even that small change has made a huge difference and I feel so much more rested.

I understand EPing and the myriad of reasons behind it, had been planning on the possibilty because of my rodiculous breasts actually, but you really are doing the work of both the BFing mom and the FFing mom, day in and day out.

Petra, I am so glad things are looking up for you! I may try to re establish latch later on. Dishes are my least favorite task of the day. But I am just happy that she is eating now!
  • https://www.mountainmeadowherbs.com/Maxi_Milk_p/m1200.htm

I have been for the most part only pumping. Ds has an awful time latching and I have been paranoid he is not getting enough to eat. I had an appointment with my bfing consultant today and she gave me the link to order this supplement to help with milk production ! 

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagewhirlygirl00:

I exclusively pumped with DS for 6 months due to him not latching. It's definitely more work with the dishes and all the logistics around it but totally doable! 

Some tips I have:

-Get multiple (like 4) sets of pumping parts so you don't have to do dishes more than twice a day.

-Once you use a set you can put them in the fridge until the next session rather than washing them to keep bacteria from growing. I would only do this once though, and with a newborn at first I'd wash after each use but as they get older you can get a little more lenient.

All this! Especially the extra pump parts......I have several sets and it makes it much easier to pump at work especially. 

-Use a hands free pump bra!!! I just cut two holes out of an old sports bra but this thing seriously saved me, I could still hold DS, feed him a bottle, do housework, ect while I pumped.

TTC since 10/1/10 BFP 1/14/11 MC @ 6w 3d 1/17/11 2 Rounds Clomid 50mg + ovidrel trigger=BFN SA=Normal HSG= tubes clear July 2012 gonal-f and +ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFN August 2012 gonal-f + ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFP!! Beta 8/24 12dpo 166!! Beta#2 8/28 16dpo 942!!! EDD 5/4/13 9/10-First US-TWINS!! 2 beautiful little HB's, 1/3/13 said good-bye to our little boy. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"