February 2013 Moms

Stupid Supply Issues

I just don't understand. I HAD an oversupply and now I'm really struggling to keep up. I've been taking fenugreek, mothers milk tea, oatmeal. It seemed to help some but my morning supply is just enough and my evening supply sucks. I've found myself dipping into the freezer stash again. Mind you, my "stash" is probably like 12 oz. it's not going to last long. This is so upsetting. We've done so well and I just don't understand why this is happening.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Our Sweet Boy "LJ"

Re: Stupid Supply Issues

• How do you know you have low supply? Are you not able to pump as much? If you bf does your baby seem satisfied after eating? When my supply established my boobs were no longer full and heavy all the time but felt softer yet my baby continued gaining weight and seemed content after eating. It's my understanding that once supply has established your boobs will seem normal and not all engorged like .
  • My supply has dipped twice. Power-pumping helped.

Also, try to hit up an LLL meeting or see an LC and get some advice there if TB, kellymom and Dr. Google can't help.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageadamsabigail14:
    How do you know you have low supply? Are you not able to pump as much? If you bf does your baby seem satisfied after eating? When my supply established my boobs were no longer full and heavy all the time but felt softer yet my baby continued gaining weight and seemed content after eating. It's my understanding that once supply has established your boobs will seem normal and not all engorged like .

LO is clearly not satisfied after/during feedings. It's very frustrating. I try to keep him on the breast for as long ad possible but he gets super pissed.
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • I also had a major oversupply in the beginning. Now my supply is okay when DD nurses all day, but I can't pump enough at work to cover her bottles. My understanding is that oversupply rarely sticks around after 3 months.
    I second the advice about talking to a LC if you haven't already. I've also heard that power pumping can help.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• I've been sticking with only the fenugreek on a regular basis. I have had a stupid cycle every 2 weeks that last longer than a week (ughh!). So when this happens my supply dips a lot and I start to eat oatmeal like crazy.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Can you see an LC? Or throw in an extra pumping session? I know oatmeal ALWAYS ups my supply so maybe keep on that?
  • I second the suggestions to contact an LC!

Just a thought though - are you or have you been sick recently?  I got a pretty nasty cold, and my supply dipped quite a bit for a few days, which was really upsetting.  It's now back to normal (i.e. more than DD can eat) between the fact that I am mostly healthy again and I've been chugging water and eating a ton of oatmeal (with flaxseed meal and brewers yeast mixed in for good measure) and drinking Mother's Milk tea.  

• Thanks for all the suggestions ladies. I've actually never seen an LC so I think I need I do that. There's a really great CNM/LC at the birth center where DS was born. I tried to find LLL meetings near me but they're at times I'm either working or to close to DS bedtime. The good thing is that I have 4 day weekends so hopefully I can catch back up.
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"