April 2013 Moms
Options

Birth control?!

Okay, so I go in on the 20th. My doctor is only giving me two options of birth control because of the amount of time we are waiting to try for our second. He said to get on pills, hell if I can hardly remember to eat, shower ect with a baby how on earth will I remember a pill!! Then he suggested an Mirena, but we are trying for the next one in 8months/1 year. Yes I know so soon but I would like them really close in age. So any suggestions of birth control that may work for our time frame please let me know. Not to mention SO asked last night, when are you getting on BC because I haven't had sex in a very long time!! Lol also depo doesn't work well with me with bad previous experience. Thanks :D

Re: Birth control?!

• Options
    I'm thinking about the Nuva Ring.  I don't really know much about it, though.  Would this not be an option?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kgs0505kgs0505 member
    Truthfully pills sound like the best choice unless you want to go condoms.  But isn't there a ring (nuvaring?) or something you change once a month?  No experience with it, but maybe if you don't have to remember everyday it would work?

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am thinking Nuva ring, I had it once for one month and then switched to depo. But I didn't have it long enough to have an opinion on it.
  • Options
    Non hormonal IUD
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    A long time ago I did the patch and loved it (except that I discovered I have a severe adhesive allergy that causes my skin to breakdown), it was easy to remember a once a week sticker, was a very consistent dose so no mid-cycle bleeding (something that I have with a lot of pills) and I didn't get pregnant while using it (like I did on Loestrin) or have a 35 pound weight gain/hair loss/mood swings like the depo-provera shot. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JSS1002JSS1002 member

I was on nuvaring for years.  It is great, do that.

I can't use it because I have issues with hormonal bc due to intense migraines, but that is what i would do if i were going to go back on hormones.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    nuvaring worked for me previously when depo didn't.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If you BF you can't go on anything with estrogen in it, which includes the ring and the patch. :-/

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Options
    imageOhSewCrafty:
    If you BF you can't go on anything with estrogen in it, which includes the ring and the patch. :/

Really?!?! :/
  • Options
    Are you breastfeeding? If you are you can't use the ring. It is a great method of birth control, and I used it for 8 years. I did get pregnant with LO while on it though. My MW said that could've been because I was using the same method for 8 years straight, but it's all speculation. I was the 1% I guess.. .
    -Jackie "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" - John Lennon
  • Options

I think my husband and I are the only people left who are happy with condoms as a very sure method of birth control that also doesn't have any negative side effects. I just don't find them to be a pain to deal with, they aren't terribly costly, and while sex without them is enjoyable, I don't find sex with them less enjoyable, just slightly different. 

So...there is always that option.  

You can also track your cycle and ovulation and abstain a bit before, during and a bit after your O date and just have unprotected sex the rest of the month. That would take more effort than remembering the pill though.

• Options
    imageOhSewCrafty:
    If you BF you can't go on anything with estrogen in it, which includes the ring and the patch. :/

• Options
    imageFrecklesInside:
    I think my husband and I are the only people left who are happy with condoms as a very sure method of birth control that also doesn't have any negative side effects. I just don't find them to be a pain to deal with, they aren't terribly costly, and while sex without them is enjoyable, I don't find sex with them less enjoyable, just slightly different.nbsp;So...there is always that option. nbsp;You can also track your cycle and ovulation and abstain a bit before, during and a bit after your O date and just have unprotected sex the rest of the month. That would take more effort than remembering the pill though.nbsp;

I'd be fine with condoms but SO in the other hand is a different story.
  • Options
    KovakKovak member
    I just got Mirena the other day. I like that I don't have to remember anything. I was on Nuvaring a few years ago. I absolutely HATED it! I think I may have had some sort of reaction to it though. I wasn't on it for very long. Don't even get me started on condoms. My little guy is proof that they don't always work. Plus, my husband is not a fan.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imageJorleny:
    imageOhSewCrafty:

Estrogen suppresses the body's ability to produce milk. You can use progesterone only BC such as Mirena (if your insurance actually covers it) or the mini pill.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

• Options
    imageNandaB:
    Ok, hold the phone. Doesn't your baby daddy live in another state from you and you aren't even sure you want to move to the same STATE as him?? Probably shouldn't be planning to get knocked up again in 7 months.

But maybe I'm crazy

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageFutureMrsCAF:
    imageNandaB:
    Ok, hold the phone. Doesn't your baby daddy live in another state from you and you aren't even sure you want to move to the same STATE as him?? Probably shouldn't be planning to get knocked up again in 7 months. But maybe I'm crazy

Yeah....

• Options
    imageFutureMrsCAF:
    imageNandaB:
    Ok, hold the phone. Doesn't your baby daddy live in another state from you and you aren't even sure you want to move to the same STATE as him?? Probably shouldn't be planning to get knocked up again in 7 months.

But maybe I'm crazy

Yes he does, and yes once again he let me down and I'm stuck in Texas until December, and just like I told him 30 minutes ago, with the way things are going it seems like we'll be on hold for a very long time. Truth is how do you leave someone you've invested so many years with?
  • Options
    imageFrecklesInside:
    I think my husband and I are the only people left who are happy with condoms as a very sure method of birth control that also doesn't have any negative side effects. I just don't find them to be a pain to deal with, they aren't terribly costly, and while sex without them is enjoyable, I don't find sex with them less enjoyable, just slightly different.nbsp;So...there is always that option. nbsp;You can also track your cycle and ovulation and abstain a bit before, during and a bit after your O date and just have unprotected sex the rest of the month. That would take more effort than remembering the pill though.nbsp;

We were using condoms and I was tracking my cycle.... We moved and couldn't find the condoms and according to my charting we were ok.... Wrong! I'm holding our son as a result of that night. Don't use that method! It's unreliable! :
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageNandaB:
    imageJorleny:
    imageFutureMrsCAF:
    imageNandaB:

But maybe I'm crazy

Yes he does, and yes once again he let me down and I'm stuck in Texas until December, and just like I told him 30 minutes ago, with the way things are going it seems like we'll be on hold for a very long time. Truth is how do you leave someone you've invested so many years with?

You just do. Especially if they keep 'letting you down once again'. Its not that difficult. And you CERTAINLY don't have more kids with the douche. Duh.

Living in different states is GREAT BC. I have not yet heard of a case where someone got pregnant through sexting.

Also, dont have more kids with a guy you can't count on. Get your sh!t together first.

Anyway, breastfeeding friendly BC is limited. Mini pill, IUD, condoms or separate states are really your only options. They don't recommend an IUD if you plan on conceiving within a year and they are really not cost effective until year 2 or 3.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"