April 2013 Moms

Sleeping in swing

Anybody here let their kid sleep in the swing, at night?  Overnight?  LO falls asleep in the swing whenever we put him in it, and I'm contempating puttnig him in it tonight while WE sleep... thoughts?  Is that safe?  Acceptable?  :-)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Sleeping in swing

• I did once when he was about 4 weeks, if you do it in the day I don't see why it would matter at night...I personally wouldn't because our swing is in the living room and far from the bedroom.

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• KovakKovak member
    I let my little guy sleep in his swing at night. It's the only way he'll sleep long enough for me to get any real sleep. However, I am working on transitioning to his bassinet...slowly.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • i also let the baby sleep in the swing. but since its in the living room i end up sleeping on the couch.. hey at least im sleeping a bit :/
  • imageKovak:
    I let my little guy sleep in his swing at night. It's the only way he'll sleep long enough for me to get any real sleep. However, I am working on transitioning to his bassinet...slowly.

This exactly... But so far a rough and slow transition.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We did it with my son for six weeks. Pedi said it was fine. We got some sleep and never had any problems with it. We transitioned him to his crib when he no longer needed the swing to stay asleep and it was an easy transition at that point because he was ready.
  • Reese is currently in her swing hopefully on her way to falling asleep. I will take her out when I go to bed and move her to her RnP next to my bed. But I would have no problem leaving her in overnight. I see nothing wrong with that.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • heddy79heddy79 member
    I've let DD sleep in it during the day when I can watch her, but not when I'm sleeping.  From what I've read about SIDS, its a no-no.
    image BabyFetus Ticker
  • I would not let your baby stay in the swing all night. It's not even recommended that they stay in it all day. I think it's a max of 2 hrs a day. Of course some ppl put their babies in the swing all day with no issues. My baby falls asleep in his and then once he's in a deep enough sleep, I transfer him to a flat surface and he stays asleep
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • JSS1002JSS1002 member

imageMsAmeera25:
    I did once when he was about 4 weeks, if you do it in the day I don't see why it would matter at night...I personally wouldn't because our swing is in the living room and far from the bedroom.

I'd probably move it to our room or his room if we were going to try it.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I personally won't do it because I know of a couple whose child died in their swing and the ruling for COD was SIDS. I also know of another family where both children slept in it overnight and are perfectly fine so maybe I'm just more hyperaware to the negatives.
  • I have read that too much time in the swing can cause a flat head, and i am really paranoid about that. DS slept in his swing the first couple nights after we came home but then I got him into the crib. I let him nap in his swing but not more than once or twice a day depending on how long he sleeps. 
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Sullivan is amused by the swing for about 30 seconds, then it's waterworks all around... so she's never fallen asleep in it.

I would be willing to do daytime (supervised) naps, but not whilst I was also sleeping.  I think the SIDS concerns have to do with the head flopping forwards and restricting airflow, or the baby turning her head to the side into all of the pillowy things that usually line the swing (aka the "newborn insert"). 

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"