December 2013 Moms

curious people

Just thought I'd share a little experience I had.  So....a couple weeks ago in the morning when I got to one of the schools where I work, one of the yard duties asked me how I was doing, just like a normal day.  I hadn't started my B6/unisom routine yet & was feeling particularly crappy from the nausea, so I said "eh, my stomach is kind of upset today", thinking it was no big deal.  Then the very first question she asked me was "are you pregnant??".  lol...I was not expecting that to be a first reaction, so I was kinda surprised, & first answered with "I don't think so..."...& she said "you don't KNOW?"...I then played it off & said "maybe someday" & that I was pretty sure I just had a stomach bug.  The next day she asked how I was feeling & of course then I said fine even though I wasn't cuz I didn't wanna start that up again! lol.

So then today another yard duty that was with her (& this one doesn't usually talk to me as much) made a point of asking me how I'm doing lately, etc. & it really stood out.  Then the originally lady asked again if I was feeling better, etc, (lol), I said yes of course.  And the other lady says "well, we were hoping you'd be pregnant".  my goodness!  I'm not ready to tell so all I said "that's sweet" & left it at that.  I'm not offended by the way, just surprised at how curious/nosy people are & how much they want to know these kinds of things! lol.  I thought it was kinda funny yet ridiculous at the same time.

Anyone else have super curious/nosy people in your lives?

ETA: the nosiness too.  It's strange being this kind of entertainment for people!

Re: curious people

• LOL, that's funny! I have far too many curious people in my life who are doing a little too much digging and watching my every move. Unfortunately these are people I work with and I don't think they are doing it out of good curiosity, they are nosey and like to stir the pot. Aside from that, we've stayed really under the radar with everyone.
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (zHjr)
  • Yes!  It definitely goes with working in a school, I say.  Lately I have just said "yes" to anyone who asks "well... are you?" bc well Hell, I am. lol.  I swear them all to secrecy and I would NEVER tell Judy Gossiper- you know her- they one who will tell everyone your business.  I lie to that beotch.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesuperspecialsnowflake:

That's not "curious," that's the nosy rumor mill. 

Pretty sure my neighbor knows I'm pregnant.  At our poker party last weekend, they passed around sips of RumChata, and her eyes about bugged out when I sipped a little off the top.  (I didn't down the whole thing, but just enough to make people think I was "drinking.")  I think that bought me some time, lol. 

lol, funny about your neighbor.  People are such busy-bodies!!  the thought did occur to me, that it's part curiosity/part pure nosiness, lol.  

• imageMamaSargeToBe:
    The FIRST thing one coworker said to me when I complained of being tired a few weeks ago was "pregnant!" I was like hahaha oh god no. This was before I even knew! Welp, she was right!! She was asking me some "curious" questions the first week after I found out, but I think I've been doing a decent job of hiding it.... I dunno. I had a hunch she and at least one other person suspected but now I'm not sure. I'm glad they haven't continued with questions. I think people should respect your privacy and that you will tell them when you're ready. Even if they think they know. Especially if you are happy excited about it, it's way more fun to tell in your own way and time than get outted... IMHO. And if you're not... All the more reason it's polite for people to give you time to be ready to share!

I totally agree.  And I don't know if I'm the only one, but I really DO find it strange that the first thing someone would say/think of when you mention something like being tired or having an upset stomach is that your pregnant??  I guess I never think like that.

• Try working with obnoxiously over involved middle school students! I'm not only being asked flat out, I'm having to wipe down the inside of desks every day because I've found it now TWICE written in the desks that 'Mrs I is pregnant!' I mean, really kids...?!?!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • imageimrachellea:
    Try working with obnoxiously over involved middle school students! I'm not only being asked flat out, I'm having to wipe down the inside of desks every day because I've found it now TWICE written in the desks that 'Mrs I is pregnant!' I mean, really kids...?!?!

omg, how crazy!  luckily none of the kids I work with have asked (middle & high school)...I feel like adults are more inclined to think that way.  do you know what made your kids think that?

• I understand first hand why people want to wait to tell, I have had miscarriages of my own, however with this pregnancy I feel very weirdly comfortable with telling people. No I don't just tell the world but people that I interact with daily I don't mind telling. I work in a small town but I do not live in the small town. So here where I work "the regulars" know. I think its fun to get peoples advice and experiences. Im not an extremely private person as well so im sure that has something to do with it.
  • imagebjb91byu:
    I understand first hand why people want to wait to tell, I have had miscarriages of my own, however with this pregnancy I feel very weirdly comfortable with telling people. No I don't just tell the world but people that I interact with daily I don't mind telling. I work in a small town but I do not live in the small town. So here where I work "the regulars" know. I think its fun to get peoples advice and experiences. Im not an extremely private person as well so im sure that has something to do with it.

I understand both sides, I mean I think if someone is ready to tell, that's great!  It took us a while to conceive & we had some difficulties (pcos diagnosis, anovulatory cycles), so for that reason I felt extra cautious in the beginning.  From the beginning we planned to tell "the world" so to speak, around the end of 1st tri.  Lately I'm starting to get excited for that! :)

• When I was about 6 weeks along, I went to a retirement party for a co-worker.  I commented on how great the chocolate cupcakes smell (and I love chocolate cupcakes, so it wasn't at all related to being pregnant) and one of my co-workers immediately smiles and says, "You must be pregnant." I laughed it off and she hasn't said anything since.

Now, one of the other teachers at school who I am close with and got married at the same time I did, just announced that she is pregnant to the rest of the staff, so I now have various staff members telling me it's "my turn" and telling me they are waiting for my announcement.  Little do they know I'm already pregnant but waiting a few more weeks to tell them! I just keep replying that they should keep waiting - that way I'm not lying or denying being pregnant, I'm simply waiting to tell them.  

{Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • imagekatmb2013:

When I was about 6 weeks along, I went to a retirement party for a co-worker.  I commented on how great the chocolate cupcakes smell (and I love chocolate cupcakes, so it wasn't at all related to being pregnant) and one of my co-workers immediately smiles and says, "You must be pregnant." I laughed it off and she hasn't said anything since.

Now, one of the other teachers at school who I am close with and got married at the same time I did, just announced that she is pregnant to the rest of the staff, so I now have various staff members telling me it's "my turn" and telling me they are waiting for my announcement.  Little do they know I'm already pregnant but waiting a few more weeks to tell them! I just keep replying that they should keep waiting - that way I'm not lying or denying being pregnant, I'm simply waiting to tell them.  

omg, the chocolate cupcake thing is crazy! lol.  Seems like people just hear what they want to I guess!  Yeah I feel weird totally denying too.  I think that's why I initially said "I don't think so" rather than "no"...I just feel weird saying that for some reason.  Normally when people ask if/when I will be pregnant, I just still say "we're trying", cuz hey, we had been, lol. 

• My cousin, starting after we got back form our honeymoon, kept posting on my fb page "are you pregnant?". In response to some totally unrelated status, or comment, or just out of the blue. It was really annoying, until bestie and I made a game out of it lol. But now that I actually am, nothing!

Someone did notice that I wasn't myself on Sunday so I said I'd had a migraine the night before and I'm always nauseous the day after a migraine (which is true, I just didn't mention that I hadn't had a true migraine since grad school!). I feel bad when a lie inspires people to start commiserating over whatever fake ailment I come up with, but oh well, it'll only be for another month and then I'll tell the truth.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, there are a lot of nosey Rosies out there. As soon as I got married all the ladies at work asked when we were having a baby. After baby #1, they say she needs a little sibling. One particular woman has been asking me about another baby every week since I got back from maternity leave! I just say, "maybe." What if I can't have more kids? What if I miscarried? Some people think they are being friendly, but it is actually rude. And just wait til you are really big. That's when you hear the really awesome comments, like wow, you're gonna pop, and watch out for the HOV! It gets a lot worse.
  • imagePetuniaFeatherbottom:
    Yeah, there are a lot of nosey Rosies out there. As soon as I got married all the ladies at work asked when we were having a baby. After baby #1, they say she needs a little sibling. One particular woman has been asking me about another baby every week since I got back from maternity leave! I just say, "maybe." What if I can't have more kids? What if I miscarried? Some people think they are being friendly, but it is actually rude. And just wait til you are really big. That's when you hear the really awesome comments, like wow, you're gonna pop, and watch out for the HOV! It gets a lot worse.

omg, every week?  that is bad.  why are people so obsessed with this?? lol.  you're right though, it's a really insensitive, as well as personal thing to ask someone about, esp so often!

haha I didn't even think about the "you're gonna pop" comments...oh fun! I feel like I will end up coming up with some silly response for these. 

• Yes, people are so nosy, all I did was post what I was eating today on a social site, and 4 people asked me was I pregnant, WHY can't I just be greedy? Ughhhhh I just laughed it off and brushed the question off!
  • I get both sides because I had people asking me "so when are you going to have another?" Or "aren't you pregnant again yet" and at the time I was and then I lost so I'm glad I shrugged it off and when someone asked after I had lost which they hadn't known so I can't blame them it hit me a little bit harder.
    Now I tell people who ask unless I really don't want them to know x
  • 2 of my close coworkers know and one I'm friendly with but I'd never tell her this soon, I'm about 6 weeks. She tells everyone everything about herself and she's just an open book,even to her clients at work, so unprofessional, the complete opposite of me, I'm so private!! She told another coworker who does know that she thinks I'm pregnant and the real test will be Tuesday..I'm having them over for a get together and she's going to see if I drink. Well when I heard this I was thisclose to picking up the phone and telling her its none of her damn business and I'd appreciate some respect and if I am I'll tell you when I'm good and ready!! It's not like it's some scandal, and she knows we were ttc for a while, so lay the hell off and have some respect!! Lol sorry I got worked up. But my coworker who knows said she will talk to her about it and tell her not to spread rumors or be suspicious and if I am she will know when I want her to. Hopefully she follows through and that stops there but I don't get why people even care, this is someone's life, not a soap opera.
  • imageadubbs83:
    2 of my close coworkers know and one I'm friendly with but I'd never tell her this soon, I'm about 6 weeks. She tells everyone everything about herself and she's just an open book,even to her clients at work, so unprofessional, the complete opposite of me, I'm so private!! She told another coworker who does know that she thinks I'm pregnant and the real test will be Tuesday..I'm having them over for a get together and she's going to see if I drink. Well when I heard this I was thisclose to picking up the phone and telling her its none of her damn business and I'd appreciate some respect and if I am I'll tell you when I'm good and ready!! It's not like it's some scandal, and she knows we were ttc for a while, so lay the hell off and have some respect!! Lol sorry I got worked up. But my coworker who knows said she will talk to her about it and tell her not to spread rumors or be suspicious and if I am she will know when I want her to. Hopefully she follows through and that stops there but I don't get why people even care, this is someone's life, not a soap opera.

YES to the bolded. for real.  The ladies that were asking me, it's not like they know me super well or anything, we rarely talk except the "how are you" thing in the mornings.  I haven't even told my actual co-workers yet, who I'm actually friends with, so I feel no need to tell the hall monitors & let this thing spread around the school.  That said I will prob tell them right at the end of the year, after 13 weeks, since I know they'll get a kick out of it, & though they're nosy I think they'll also be genuinely happy for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"