Parenting

got the crap scared out of me

Picked up DD from daycare and had DS with me as always. As we were walking out, I ran into her classmates parents and stopped to chat, they were seeing DS for the first time. I said to DD, "wait here with mommy", she kept walking slowly. I said "DD come here" and then she ran into the parking lot laughing. I put DS's car seat down and ran after her and picked her up. She was fine. there were no cars driving through. there could've been. where we were it was possible that a car may not have seen her coming either as we were kind of next to my car. 

i got us all in the car and yelled at her to never ever run away from mommy and never run into the street. a million things went through my head. then i cried. i was angry at her and scared and i shouldve held her hand or not stopped to say hi. i just keep running it through my head over and over.

and now i'm afraid to take her to school tomorrow. everyday i get her out of the car first and she stands on the curb in front of the car holding her bag while i get DS. i always say stand right there and don't move. She never moves a muscle. now i dont trust her. i guess i could get DS first but some days it's still cold in the morning or like today, raining. so i want him out as little as possible and dont want to have to put him on the ground and then have to turn my back to him to get DD, especially if it is an empty spot next to me.

just tell me to calm the F down and we are all ok LOL.

Re: got the crap scared out of me

• Glad she's okay. Use it as a learning experience. I had something similar happen and I don't have an extra kid to watch. I was talking to another mom at the park and DD ran in into the parking lot. I called and she kept running. I ran after her. There was a car approaching and they stopped. I scooped her up and felt my heart stop for a bit. I learned they're unpredictable and we have a long way to go for her to listen to directions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • I have a runner also. I get DS#2 out of the car first, put his carseat around my arm. Then I go get DS#1, unbuckle him, hold his hand with my free hand and he climbs out, that way I never let go of him, and don't have to put DS#2 down. It's not easy, but it's the only solution I've found that doesn't leave either of them in the parking lot with my back to them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • acesupacesup member

imageemriley84:
    I have a runner also. I get DS#2 out of the car first, put his carseat around my arm. Then I go get DS#1, unbuckle him, hold his hand with my free hand and he climbs out, that way I never let go of him, and don't have to put DS#2 down. It's not easy, but it's the only solution I've found that doesn't leave either of them in the parking lot with my back to them.

i like this idea but DD wont climb out of the seat on her own, she wants me to get her out :( i dont know that she could climb out, i have an SUV. maybe we will try this weekend. thanks! 

• I have no advice since I'm currently trying to figure out how I'll have two kids in convertible seats. My oldest walks, but my youngest doesn't and I can't figure out the logistics. Or the logistics of when they're both walking. Gah.

So, I have no advice, but you'll figure out a system that works for you! 

• She is okay and it wasn't something you thought she would do because she has always been a good listener in the parking lot. It was an honest mistake on your part but she is okay and now you know that you won't let it happen again.

FWIW, I was getting DS1 out of the car first for a short period until it hit me that he was the one I needed to worry about because he could run off even if I told him to stay put. Like your daughter, he is normally a good listener but that might not always be the case. Now he is always last out of the car and first in, no matter what. The baby might be out in the weather for a bit but I feel better knowing DS1 is contained.

image image
  • This was one of the factors that pushed me over the edge for a minivan. I had 2u2 and when you have them close my oldest isn't old enough to be reliable. With the minivan I unbuckle her first and she walks over to the other side and she gets out after I graab her brother. I know all the feeling on minivans, I don't care, I'm not pretending to be cool anymore, I have two kids. We love our minivan. Obviously this might not be an option for you, but if you can't trust your kids not to run (and honestly with young kids there is always a chance) you will have to inconvenience yourself. I would probably put her in the car and not strap her in, walk around strap in #2 and go back and strap her in. I can hold both kids to get them in the car, but I can't strap/unstrap while holding both.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You might consider one of the little wrist leashes.  Use it as a training tool of "since you didn't listen to mommy and put yourself in danger, now you have to wear this which will make sure you stay close and safe.  If you follow the rules and stay next to me for a week without running, maybe we can try again without the leash. 

13 yr old boy with ASD, ADHD and PICA, 11 yr old boy, 3 yr old Girl, & baby Girl.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"