2nd Trimester

Registry Price-capping?

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on my shower registry and I was wondering how people decide what items they do and don't register for. My husband and I decided that for the very expensive items, (furniture, stroller etc.) that we should for sure buy those on our own. However some of the other items like the the baby monitor and car seat are still pretty pricey. Is there a registry etiquette that people follow?

Re: Registry Price-capping?

• I've seen prices from all ranges on registries.  We are buying the furniture, but other than that we will probably add it to the list to register for.  Some of my family likes making gift baskets full of smaller items and others want to buy some of the larger things because they are more financially able to.  There is a consignment store that sells and buys back baby stuff and I've been checking out a lot of things such as clothes that I know won't last long that I can get for a super low price and actually take back when the LO needs bigger sizes.  I don't know if there is an etiquette, but I can't image putting anything on there that isn't needed or that we wouldn't spend the money on ourselves.

• I think this is a little challenging. I don't really want to register for the high-end items (like a video monitor) or the somewhat personal ones (breast pump or nursing pads), but sometimes the stores offer a completion discount on the registry that would help you save money when you buy those items for yourself. Maybe we could add those after the showers and before the registry closes out?

• Loading the player...
  • I think a registry should have a variety of prices.  Like anywhere from $2 for a bottle brush to $200 for the bigger stuff.  For one, you'll still get a completion discount you can use on bigger things if you don't get them at showers.  For another, having a variety allows for easier meeting of all budgets.  Also, I know my family, for example, tends to go in on the bigger items.  IMO, there is nothing wrong with having them on there.  Just because it's on there doesn't mean you will get them or that you expect one person to purchase such a large item.
  • I put everything on the registry because you get a completion discount on the things that aren't purchased for your shower. To be honest, I don't think anyone is going to get offended by it - it's not like you are expecting them to spend $300 on a crib or something. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• I don't think the price of the more expensive items is an issue...you should register for what you want and plan to use.  Just make sure you have plenty of options under 30 bucks to accommodate all your shower guests.
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also put anything that I need on the registry for completion coupon purchases. However, I have also seen family members go in together on buying the bigger purchases, which is always a nice surprise. You never know what people are looking for and like PP said, I've never heard of being offended as long as there is a variety of price points for people to choose from

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks! These are all great suggestions ;) I have attended a few showers in the past but just realized I paid very little attention to what they put on there. These are good guidelines. And I definitely want that registry completion discount at the end! 
  • slh6363slh6363 member
    I plan on including all items I want on my registry more so to use as a "what I need list" to stay organized. I by no means expect people to buy the super expensive things...so I hope people aren't offended! But that has always been the case for friends registrys I have seen so I think it will be fine. Also people often like going in together on a larger item.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • chiboo9chiboo9 member
    I don't think there's a certain etiquette that people follow. A registry is merely a guideline for those who want to buy you a gift. Our registry has items that range from $2 to $300. We're banking on the completion program for the big ticket items.
  • Just like my wedding registry I put things on there mainly as a checklist for myself haha. So I don't forget anything. This way whatever isn't purchased I can get either way. And I already purchased one thing off my registry ::crib:: so I wouldn't forget what it exactly was. This baby brain stuff is serious stuff lol
    Pregnancy discovered at 12 weeks 12/2007 - D&C at 13 Weeks due to partial Ectopic pregnancy/Body rejecting pregnancy. Last Pregnancy - EDD August 2013 TTC Our first miracle baby.
  • What I did with DS was put a few items that are more costly, like the stroller. And then a bunch in different price ranges. This is because some of my families my aunt and her kids all go in together to buy a more expensive gift. 

Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • I'm a FTM and didn't want to put the "expensive" items in my registry. We bought our own furniture and travel system.

We just didnt feel right asking others to purchase those items and we didnt purchase those items where we are registered.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kje120kje120 member

I would put them on there, you never know what people might buy. Plus a group might go in together to get a pricier item.  

I put our glider on the registry just so I would be able to use the completion discount to buy it ourselves, but my sister surprised us with it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have some of the high price items on mine. some people like to get together on gifts.
    I'm of the mind that people should know about registry discounts, so if they judge you for anything on there, there meanie heads
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"