December 2012 Moms

NBR-grad school

Ok, so I was taking classes towards my masters until this past fall when I was on bed rest and couldn't take them. Now, I have no motivation to go back since they closed the campus near me and it would be 1.5hr drive, they don't offer the classes I need regularly and I have no time to take them and work my fulltime job. Also, I can't afford to do a year internship and work for free.

While at work today, I saw a girl who I took classes with and she is now working here in the field we were both taking classes for. I sort of feel like a failure because I haven't finished the degree and don't have plans to at the moment. I guess I have new-mom guilt that there is no way to do everything I am doing and add grad school back in the mix.

'I loved you for a thousand years and I will love you for a thousand more'

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR-grad school

• How many classes away are you from your degree? Would it be worth transferring to a closer school to finish?
    If you don't like what they're saying about you, change the conversation.
    BFP #1 2.12.11 EDD 10.23.11 D&C 11w6d | BFP #2 6.23.11 EDD 2.29.12 MC 5w2d
    BFP #3 4.20.12 EDD 1.1.13 Beta #1 12DPO 99 Beta #2 14DPO 223
    6w1d U/S - one cute little blob! 8w1d U/S HB 174bpm!
    BFP Chart
  • I was in school when I had DS. I stopped and got the lesser degree that I had enough credits for because I was just over it. Plus I was already 20k in debt and had to do an internship. I did the internship and was done. I feel kind of like a failure. Ill never be able to get the job I wanted, ill be in the field, but not respected and certainly not making as much money. It is what it is.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I was in college when I had DD.  I finished that degree, got another one in a double major, and then went on to get my Master's.  I also worked full-time.  Looking back, I have no idea how I did it.  I guess I had a lot more energy in my 20s!

It's definitely possible, but it's a ton of work.  Sometimes I went to school full-time, going on evenings and on weekends, and other times I only took a class or two.  It just depended on my energy level at the time.  It took me longer, but for me it wasn't about it being a race to the finish.  It became easier as DD got older.  It was actually kind of neat to have study time where we'd sit at the kitchen table doing our schoolwork together.  I think it taught her a great life lesson about the importance of education.

Have you looked into online classes?  Most colleges are offering some sort of distance-learning now.  I took a lot of online classes at Ohio State and Penn State.  Even Harvard has an online school now.  It's definitely not the diploma-mills like 10 years ago.  It may help you better fit it into your schedule if you decide it's something you want to pursue.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• aelhuntaelhunt member
    I've taken all the classes they have offered online. They only offer a few. If I transfered I would lost most of hte credits as you can only transfer so many. Plus, it's more about not having the time to finish nor the time to intern for free. Maybe it'll make more sense to finish down the line.

'I loved you for a thousand years and I will love you for a thousand more'

• imageaelhunt:
    I've taken all the classes they have offered online. They only offer a few. If I transfered I would lost most of hte credits as you can only transfer so many. Plus, it's more about not having the time to finish nor the time to intern for free. Maybe it'll make more sense to finish down the line.
    I'm not sure what field you're in, but I've never heard of a limit on how many credits you can transfer.  Most schools transfer as many eligible credits as possible with no limitations.  Are you talking about needing to have x number of credits from classes taken at the school to graduate from it?

Anyway, there's no harm in waiting.  Grad school is kind of icing on the cake, really.  Don't stress yourself out.  Like I said, it's not a race to the finish!  That's hard when you see someone you went to school with, though.  I remember feeling like you are.  It will all work out!

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Luckily I only had 2 classes left when DD was born and both classes were offered online. I was always upsets on the weekends because it was the only opportunity I had to spend the day with DD, but instead I was doing homework. If I were in your position now I honestly wouldn't have finished until LO is older. I don't know how much easier it will be to go back to school as your LO gets older. I would recommend doing what you think is best for you and your family in the long run. After graduating this past week I am happy I made the decision to continue on and finish. GL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"