Babies: 3 - 6 Months

How Long to Finish Bottle?

DS (13 weeks) has been exclusively FF since 1 month due to supply issues. At that point he would take 45 min - 1 hour to finish a bottle. Shortly before 2 months he became VERY frustrated with his bottles and seemed to be straining to get more, so I switched him to Dr. Brown's Level 2 nipples (medium flow) and he started taking his bottles in 35-45 minutes.

Now we are just past 3 months and he is still taking 45 minutes or so for each bottle, which, from reading other posts seems on the long side. He drinks about 5.5-6.5 ounces in each bottle and sometimes seems to strain for more, but I am hesitant to move up to Level 3 as it is labeled for 6 months +.

How long does it take your LO to finish a bottle?

How many ounces do they eat in each bottle on average? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How Long to Finish Bottle?

• That is a LONG time.  DD finishes 8 oz in 10 minutes without stopping to burp with a Level 2 nipple. Are they new nipples? They aren't clogged?
  • DS takes 5 oz. and generally takes about 15 minutes. He also uses Dr. Brown's Level 2.
  • Loading the player...
  • i agree that does seem like a long time. but maybe your LO just likes to take his time???

my lo will drink an 8oz bottle in about 10-15 min tops. every 3.5 to 4 hours.

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Eitak82Eitak82 member
    They are brand new nipples only run through the dishwasher on sterilize before use. He takes the first half or so of the bottle pretty quickly, but almost seems to get tired after that not sleepy tired, tired from sucking, so he then starts taking breaks which results in it being dragged out.

I don't know if he's just a slow eater, if I should try moving up, or what?!? It just seems to take a LONG time! At the beginning I attributed it to him being little and learning what to do, but I feel like it should have sped up more by now.
  • DD is 4 months and takes about 15 minutes to finish a 5 oz bottle. We also use Dr Browns but haven't gone up to the level 2 nipple yet.
  • When it started taking DS more than 20 minutes to finish a bottle, we moved up a nipple size. The same with my DD.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD drinks 4ozs. in an Avent Size 2 bottle in about 10 minutes. 

If I were you, I would try going up the size regardless of the 6months+ just to see if baby is more comfortable with it. If he/she starts gagging or choking from the faster flow then it might just means baby likes to eat slow.  

• We switched to level 3 at 4.5 months. He likes it so it works for us.

Buy a 2-pack and give them a try. If it's too fast for baby you'll know. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Another thought...I've heard of babies being picky about bottles. Perhaps try a different bottle brand to see if that helps, maybe after trying the level 3 nipple in Dr Browns, if that isn't successful.
  • Eitak82Eitak82 member
    Thanks for the responses. He's been on a pretty regular schedule where he eats every 3 hours and STTN from 8:30 pm 5:30 am for quite a while, so I'm going to try going "offschedule" for the day to see if he naturally stretches longer between bottles thinking maybe he wasn't hungry enough when I'm giving him his bottle... I figure one day won't ruin things if it doesn't work.

If not I'm going to try the Level 3 nipples tomorrow. These are the only bottles he's ever had and he has only been bottlefed, even when it was breast milk, so if the stretching out feeding time and move in nipples doesn't work, I may just resign myself to the fact that he is a leisurely eater.

Thanks again!
  • My DS is 4.5 months old and has taken between 30-45 minutes to finish a  bottle since the beginning. Switching nipple sizes didn't really change anything, he takes the same amount of time. He's up to 6.5-7 oz of formula ever 3 hours. I've noticed lately that he'll drink about half of his formula, then chew on the nipple for a little bit, then finish.

Like PP, maybe your LO just likes to enjoy the yummy flavor of his formula? (I doubt this since the stuff just smells gross). Hope you get it all figured out!

• Eitak82Eitak82 member
    imagecarteramariec:
    My DS is 4.5 months old and has taken between 3045 minutes to finish anbsp; bottle since the beginning. Switching nipple sizes didn't really change anything, he takes the same amount of time. He's up to 6.57 oz of formula ever 3 hours. I've noticed lately that he'll drink about half of his formula, then chew on the nipple for a little bit, then finish. Like PP, maybe your LO just likes to enjoy the yummy flavor of his formula? I doubt this since the stuff just smells gross. Hope you get it all figured out!

Thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one!!! I switched today, but he was all sorts of off today as a result of bad sleep last night our building has yet to turn the air conditioning on, and it was warmer than usual.

Hopefully things are back to normal tomorrow!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"