Breastfeeding

Extended BF weekly check-in

Hello ladies - sorry I'm late. Forgot it's Wednesday!

(For the purposes of this post nursing past one year is  considered extended. Lurkers welcome. Questions are occasionally recycled)

1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?

2. What are some of your recent challenges?

3. How does nursing an older baby compare to nursing a younger one?

4. Your body - are you in the "lost weight quickly because of the BF" camp or "holding on to weight because of the BF" camp? Anything else body-related you're comfortable sharing.

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want me to put into rotation - post it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Extended BF weekly check-in

• litzo27litzo27 member

20 months.

He is fidgety when he is not sleepy, swinging his arm and playing with his blanket while nursing. Thankfully this week has been great with sleeping so no challenges on that side other than a couple of 5:30 mornings.

Like I said above he is certainly more active. And we only do it a couple of times a day so I appreciate those down-times more. He also doesn't scream bloody murder when he wants some because he is simply not that hungry from having filled up on other foods.  Overall it's way, way easier for me :)

4. Your body - are you in the "lost weight quickly because of the BF" camp or "holding on to weight because of the BF" camp? Anything else body-related you're comfortable sharing.

The first I guess. I was at pre-p weight within the first 6 months. However, that's still about 5-7 pounds away from my ideal "skinny" weight and it's a struggle to get there. 

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want me to put into rotation - post it. 

I'm going away to a conference next week. May not be around next Wednesday so someone needs to start a check-in next week. 

Have a good rest of the week everyone!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. 2.5 years

2. DS is nursing a lot, and waking up a lot.

3.  It is much easier for the most part, a lot less stressful.  I am going away on two separate trips in the next month, and all I will have to do is pump twice a day.

4.  I lost it fast, and a lot of it.  At about month 9 I started to put some weight back on, and am now back to my pre-preg weight.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? 2 years old today!

2. What are some of your recent challenges?DS has had a rough night of sleep - he's been waking more, and he insisted on moving to a bed which is a pain. I'm never sure if I should hold firm to night weaning or give in and nurse.

3. How does nursing an older baby compare to nursing a younger one? I like the flexibility. I can nurse him if I'm there, but if I'm not it's no big deal. He wouldn't take bottles past 4 months, so there was a long time there where I felt pretty trapped by his feeding needs.

I was a "lost weight quickly". I started this pregnancy 10 lb below my pre-pg weight, and I was happy before I got pg the first time. I love how I get to eat eat eat while breastfeeding. 

I am proud to have made it to 2 years. I'm not sure how much longer is in the cards for us, but I feel like I've given DS a great gift to have nursed this long. 

• cltk12cltk12 member
    I get to join this thread next week :)
  • 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? 19 months

2. What are some of your recent challenges? dropping his morning nursing session

3. How does nursing an older baby compare to nursing a younger one? So much easier.  And quicker. 

4. Your body - are you in the "lost weight quickly because of the BF" camp or "holding on to weight because of the BF" camp? Anything else body-related you're comfortable sharing.  Lost weight quickly camp.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?  20 months

2. What are some of your recent challenges? We are dropping the morning nursing session.  Today was day 4, and it was pretty much the same as yesterday and the day before.  Day 1 was a nightmare.  These past few days have been hard, but I am hopeful things will start looking up. 

3. How does nursing an older baby compare to nursing a younger one?  Well DD is so in love with nursing.  She was a great nurser as a "baby" so I was lucky to not have any issues (other than MSPI) to stress over.  I would say that I stressed more recently as she became a toddler, but I think it was more to my own lack of confidence.  I found lots of reading material and support in general when it came to nursing her as a "baby."  As she grew older I had fewer and fewer people I could go to for advice, and I questioned myself a lot. 

4. Your body - are you in the "lost weight quickly because of the BF" camp or "holding on to weight because of the BF" camp?  I lost weight quickly I think??? I lost all the weight 4 months PP without trying. 
  • imagelitzo27:

(For the purposes of this post nursing past one year is  considered extended. Lurkers welcome. Questions are occasionally recycled)

1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?  DD is 2 on Sunday but didn't nurse until 4months so nursing 20 months.

2. What are some of your recent challenges? We want to TTC soon and her night nursing is screwing with my charting.

3. How does nursing an older baby compare to nursing a younger one?  I love older baby nursing/toddler nursing.  I love having conversations with her and watching her nod/shake her head and pop off when she want's to comment on something.  It's hysterical.  I also love that my supply is finally enough for her now that she's not dependent on BM for her total nutrition.

4. Your body - are you in the "lost weight quickly because of the BF" camp or "holding on to weight because of the BF" camp? Anything else body-related you're comfortable sharing.   Completely stuck in the "hanging onto weight because of nursing".  I've been hovering around 5-10lbs above pre baby weight for ever. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagelitzo27:

1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?  22 months

2. What are some of your recent challenges? distracting DS from nursing when it is inconvenient.  He likes to stick his hand down my shirt and say "boo boo".

3. How does nursing an older baby compare to nursing a younger one?  I love it a lot more now b/c DS is more interactive with me and his surroundings, focused on eating and fast about it.  Up until a year he took a long time to nurse, was always pulling off and looking around(after ~5 months) and I was always feeling stressed about supply even though I never had any issues.

4. Your body - are you in the "lost weight quickly because of the BF" camp or "holding on to weight because of the BF" camp? Anything else body-related you're comfortable sharing.   I was unable to lose the last 10 lbs until I hit 1 yr b/c everytime I cut back on calories, my supply dipped.  Now I'm hoping I don't put weight back on once I stop BFing!

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want me to put into rotation - post it.   I'd like to know what other people's plans are for weaning and how they are going to do it if they don't go the self weaning route.  DS is addicted at the moment to boobs and I'm hoping he'll be done BFing by the end of the year but not sure how to hurry this along if he isn't ready to wean then.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?

23 months 

Supply decreasing due to pregnancy 

For us, it's easy. She doesn't do it for comfort when she gets hurt anymore and that was kind of sad!  

I held onto weight until she was nursing only twice a day (around 18 months) 

She recently stopped nursing on one side. I wonder if she's finally self weaning that last little bit?
  • 1.  DS is 16 months

2.  Recent challenge:  supplementing with goat's milk.  As long as we mix it with some BM, even 1-2 oz, he will drink it.  But isn't crazy about it alone, so I feel like I have to keep pumping longer to keep giving him BM.  My freezer stash is almost gone.

3.  Nursing him now is SO much easier.  We have our routine down as far as when we nurse and there is less pressure becuase he gets so much nutrition from solids.  He was also a bottle-refuser so I felt so limited in everything I could do - from sleep to having a drink to just being there for him.  It's such a breeze now.

4.  I lost weight really fast.  I actually had a guy at BRU ask me if I adopted my son when he was 2 months old.  Part of it was BF-ing, part of it was running.  I have put on a few more "BF-ing" pouds since I stopped training for races and I am totally OK with that.  

5.  If you want to do the check-in on Thursday next week I'm sure we'd all be willing to wait a day.  If not, I'd be happy to post one first thing in the morning.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 1. How old is your nursing LO(s)? She'll be 18 months on Friday!

2. What are some of your recent challenges? She signs for "milk" which lately also means wcm from a sippy.  When I sit down on the couch with her to nurse, she refuses.  But when I offer a sippy first, she gets mad.  I need to find a different sign for sippy cup. 

3. How does nursing an older baby compare to nursing a younger one? It's so much easier!  Nursing only lasts a few minutes, I don't have to pump, no stress about whether she got enough to eat/drink, and I don't get engorged if she goes more than a few hours without nursing.  I love that now it's a way for us to reconnect and have a quick snuggle before she moves on to something more interesting.

4. Your body - are you in the "lost weight quickly because of the BF" camp or "holding on to weight because of the BF" camp? Anything else body-related you're comfortable sharing. At first I didn't lose any weight.  Around 9 months I started losing, and then around 12-15 months I was losing a lot.  Now I'm starting to put a few back on because my eating habits haven't leveled off with her decreased nursing sessions... lol!

5. Anything else you want to share this week. If you have a question you want me to put into rotation - post it. Just that I'm so happy to still be nursing.  DD got a bit of a fever tonight and ate absolutely zero for dinner, so I'm glad that she still got some nutrition.  She also nursed for an hour, which is unusual, so she needed that comfort tonight.  Love my magic boobs!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• litzo27litzo27 member

imageEmpireMomof3:
    4. Im team "holding on to weight because of the BF" although I have drastically cut back on calories the last month and down 8lbs now.

If you don't mind sharing - what's your daily caloric goal? I'm trying to stick to 1500 plus 150 allowed for nursing (I read producing an ounce burns 25 calories so I'm estimating about 8 ounces per day). I'm just wondering if that's too much or too little. 

• litzo27litzo27 member

imagecltk12:
    I get to join this thread next week :)

Oh you could have totally joined this week :)

• litzo27litzo27 member
    imagerboisvert:

1. How old is your nursing LO(s)?  DD is 2 on Sunday but didn't nurse until 4months so nursing 20 months.

Hey rboisvert, I don't remember your story - can you share why you didn't nurse till 4 months? Just curious. 

• litzo27litzo27 member

imagelisac1017:

5.  If you want to do the check-in on Thursday next week I'm sure we'd all be willing to wait a day.  If not, I'd be happy to post one first thing in the morning.  

Hey Lisac - let's keep the Wednesday thing going so please do the check-in. Thanks!

Also, unrelated. I'm so freaking frustrated. I've been running for a year and still can't get to a 10 minute mile (or to extend my longest run to a 10K unless I do 3 or 4 walking breaks). Because of that I pretty much don't want to do races - don't want to be slower than the slowest grandmas or to resort to walking :( Talk me into signing up for some races.  

• imagelitzo27:

imagelisac1017:

Hey Lisac - let's keep the Wednesday thing going so please do the check-in. Thanks!

Also, unrelated. I'm so freaking frustrated. I've been running for a year and still can't get to a 10 minute mile (or to extend my longest run to a 10K unless I do 3 or 4 walking breaks). Because of that I pretty much don't want to do races - don't want to be slower than the slowest grandmas or to resort to walking :( Talk me into signing up for some races.  

Wednesday check in it is - it will be early before I leave for work so be ready, Ladies! :)

My advice:  Just sign up for a fun run in your areas - there will be a lot of walkers there and you will NOT be the slowest person, I guarantee it. A bonus is to find one for a good cause, and that will give you extra motivation. Also, don't beat yourself up about your time or how many walk breaks you need. I am really hard on myself, too, but I can always fall back on the fact that I'm running AND nursing and how many people out there can say that??!  Any chance you have a jogging stroller?  It could be a really cool way to bond, too, to do your first race with your LO. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh I almost forgot to participate:

15 months 

She doesn't want anything to do with my husband at night before bed, she just wants my boobs.  She pulls my shirt down and said "tete" or something similar.  Not really a "challenge" but makes me wonder if I can leave her overnight any time soon.  Eh, not that I'm going anywhere :) 

My 15 month old has actually always been a really easy nursling, but now that she's older she nurses more quickly.   

I think that I have been able to lose weight because of BF but I've hit a plateau.  

We're going to Puerto Rico next week! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"