2nd Trimester

What to look for on U/S regarding gender?

I had an U/S at 18 weeks, the tech was able to see gender, however when we asked Baby had shifted position and she couldn't show us.

I'm having another U/S at 24w and again at 28w due complications, I'd love to see! 

I was going to be cheeky and ask them to show me, even though there is really no need as we're there to check Baby's growth and issues with placenta.

what should I look for?  

Re: What to look for on U/S regarding gender?

• Boy parts are pretty obvious from a bottom view, looks like a turtle head. Girl parts are less obvious and look like a hamburger.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • :::puts on flame retardant suit:::

People will accuse me of being a killjoy here and a big fat meanie head...

I have to ask, I'm sorry, but you are having complications and you are worried about the baby's sex? It just doesn't seem like your priorities are straight to me? If you want to look at the genitals then get an elective ultrasound. The tech and/or doctor is not there to mess around with figuring out the sex. The purpose is to make sure your kid is growing properly and you are not at risk for more complications. Why isn't this more important to you?

Also, you can request they scan but I'm not sure what that would do to the way it's billed for insurance. Depending on what state/country you live in they may charge you to look at something elective like that. A girl on our BMB has been fighting her insurance. So talk to your insurance and OB before you randomly pop the question during the ultrasound.

I know you are excited but those ultrasounds are to check on the HEALTH of your baby not what is between its legs.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Umm.. either a penis or vagina?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • You will have to ask but so you don't upset the tech, wait til the end. That's my job and it's really frustrating when that seems like it's the only thing people care about. 
    photo IMAG0561-002-Copy2-Copy_zps16abfae1.jpg
  • imageJoy2611:
    I'm sorry, but I totally agree with Prim.The fixation and downright obsession over the unborn child's sexnbsp;on these boards just does not compute with me.

Yes
    Especially with complications? Worries about growth restriction? Seriously, I side eye the mother that is more concerned about the sex than anything else. What the actual f.uck? How does this happen?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• imageAntipodean:

I had an U/S at 18 weeks, the tech was able to see gender, however when we asked Baby had shifted position and she couldn't show us.

I'm having another U/S at 24w and again at 28w due complications, I'd love to see! 

I was going to be cheeky and ask them to show me, even though there is really no need as we're there to check Baby's growth and issues with placenta.

what should I look for?  

I think you do understand what is more important, but you also would like a little happiness with the stress you have been facing, no big deal to me.  Just ask the tech at the end, and if she hesitates, just schedule an elective to see.  They will take time to show you the sex and it could be a more stress free scan for you to enjoy.

ETA: Boy is pretty obvious, little triangle sticking out, girl is three white lines.

• imageBlissBerry:
    Hold up. nbsp;Why is it that on the baby names board you are saying 2 was team blue and you were looking for boy names? nbsp;Something does not add up here. nbsp;ETA: https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/73844025.aspxnbsp;and your post about Gender Disappointment? nbsp;WTF?https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/73844053.aspxnbsp;Color me confused.nbsp;

I'm getting the impression that OP knows the gender... just hasn't seen her child's genitals with her own eyes but really wants to for some odd reason.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • imagelindsey61811:
    imageBlissBerry:
    Hold up. nbsp;Why is it that on the baby names board you are saying 2 was team blue and you were looking for boy names? nbsp;Something does not add up here. nbsp;ETA: https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/73844025.aspxnbsp;and your post about Gender Disappointment? nbsp;WTF?https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/73844053.aspxnbsp;Color me confused.nbsp;
    I'm getting the impression that OP knows the gender... just hasn't seen her child's genitals with her own eyes but really wants to for some odd reason.

Either its MUD or this woman is seriously seriously bizarre. If I had growth restriction worries and other complications then the last thing I would be worried about is viewing the kids genitals. In fact, I would be pretty much obsessed with the placenta and how its doing. You know, because the placenta keeps my kid alive.

If OP knows the gender then I think its seriously messed up to waste the tech's time or the high risk doctor's time to scan for it again just for funsies. Seriously, its not for your entertainment, OP. Its a medical procedure.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• imageBliss+Berry:

Hold up.  Why is it that on the baby names board you are saying #2 was team blue and you were looking for boy names?  Something does not add up here.  

ETA:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/73844025.aspx 

and your post about Gender Disappointment?  WTF?

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/73844053.aspx 

Color me confused. 

I got the impression from OP's post that the original tech WAS able to see the sex and told them as much, but OP wants to see for herself and have the actual parts pointed out by the tech the next time around.

Which makes it all the more ridiculous. You know the sex. If you want a tech to be at your disposal, pay for an elective ultrasound. They are looking for way more important things this time around, and wouldn't you feel terrible if they didn't have time to actually make sure your baby is growing properly and safely because you were distracting them with totally unnecessary questions? I think it would be perfectly reasonable, especially if the first tech seemed unsure about the sex, to say something like, hey if you have time/happen to notice/he happens to be cooperative, can you please confirm that it's a boy? That would be polite, unobtrusive, and show that you have your priorities straight. But the tech doesn't have time to walk you through your baby's genitals. That is what they invented elective ultrasounds for.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelindsey61811:
    Umm.. either a penis or vagina?

This was exactly my thought when I read the title. LOL

OP, why do you so badly need to see what the sex is? Do you think it will change if you can only see it for yourself?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm with Prim, Bliss and every one else who says you need to just accept that you're having a baby boy, and concentrate on his health, not worry about seeing his junk.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well dang, Prim and Bliss took the words right out my mouth.

Seriosuly, you have complications going on. There are bigger things to worry about over the sex of your child which I gather you know what you're having. Poor attempt at MUD or you're just an idiot.

• You know, because the tech who has been to school and trained to do this is totally wrong and well you looking the genitals is going to validate any more or less that baby is a boy so you can come back here and post an u/s pic to ask us whether or not the tech who again is trained to do this is wrong. 
    imageimageimageimage

• Damn you guys are nasty and hateful people. I am having a high risk pregnancy and I still am excited to know the sex. Such hateful people...I feel sorry for you guys. 
  • huntjulhuntjul member

imagelucianneD:
    Damn you guys are nasty and hateful people. I am having a high risk pregnancy and I still am excited to know the sex. Such hateful people...I feel sorry for you guys. 

Do you feel sorry for our husbands and unborn children too?  Then I could get out my Bump Bingo card.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • You know, to me it sounds like you want to see with your own eyes because you are holding out hope that your baby doesn't actually have a penis.
  • I am apalled at the responses on here!  BC of the fact she has a high risk pregnancy she is not allowed to marvel at all the little things that are miraculous bc YOU don't feel like its important.  Shame on you...you got to see your LO and whats "be their legs" as its so delicately put and enjoy those moments.  Let her enjoy those little things too bc she is going through a lot and deserves that...shame on all of you!!!!!
    After three miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy we are currently pursuing adoption. " Born not from our flesh, but born in our heart. You were longed for and wanted and loved from the start."
  • Sex. You want to find out the sex of your baby. Not the gender. Sex.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • a penis or 3 white lines.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Like a pp said, a penis or 3 white lines.

I don't see a problem with asking.. Having complications is stressful, so I don't think it's a big deal to ask for a quick look at the goods for fun while you're there. Worst case scenario, they say no. I'd want to see for myself too.. I wouldn't just want to take their word for it.
    DD ~ 8/30/09 DS ~ 10/13/13
  • blush64blush64 member

imageMySunshine213:
    Like a pp said, a penis or 3 white lines. I don't see a problem with asking.. Having complications is stressful, so I don't think it's a big deal to ask for a quick look at the goods for fun while you're there. Worst case scenario, they say no. I'd want to see for myself too.. I wouldn't just want to take their word for it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with women who have a high risk pregnancy wanting to find out the sex of their baby. They are allowed to have that little bit of excitement too. I was having issues with my pregnancy and I had to go for an amnio and one thing that helped was finding out the sex of the baby. It was something I could be excited about while I was scared about everything else. In no way was I more concerned about the sex of the baby than the health. However, from the sound of it OP is having other issues. 

I don't understand why someone would feel the need to view the baby's penis on the screen. Why would you not take their word? They have experience, training and schooling to be able to do what they do. The rest of us don't. I wanted to find out what I was having but in no way did I ever feel the need to ask the tech to show me on the screen. I find that odd.  

• imagelucianneD:
    Damn you guys are nasty and hateful people. I am having a high risk pregnancy and I still am excited to know the sex. Such hateful people...I feel sorry for you guys.nbsp;

She already knows, genius. No one is flaming her for wanting to find out. It's cool that she wants to know. She knows she's team blue and has known for a while. She's getting flamed for wanting to use her medical screening to check growth and condition of the placenta to ask the tech to look at her kid's junk just for fun. That's not what those appointments are for and the medical professionals performing the scans have more important stuff to do that entertain her. Her priorities are jacked. Maybe try actually reading the thread and processing the information before you spout insults and act like a twatnuggetty twit. Mmmmkay?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• imagedh13:

imageheaven22tw:
    I am apalled at the responses on here!&nbsp; BC of the fact she has a high risk pregnancy she is not allowed to marvel at all the little things that are miraculous bc YOU don't feel like its important.&nbsp; Shame on you...you got to see your LO and whats "be their legs" as its so delicately put and enjoy those moments.&nbsp; Let her enjoy those little things too bc she is going through a lot and deserves that...shame on all of you!!!!!

But the fact that she ALREADY KNOWS the sex of the baby, has posted about her gender disappointment, and asked for baby name suggestions.. And STILL wants to see the penis because why? Because maybe that tech might be wrong or maybe it miraculously changed? No. She has a baby boy (which one cannot even TRULY be sure of until birth) and is going through complications. Shame on the OP for being so concerned to the point of obsession of the sex of her child when there are women on here (including myself) who have suffered scary complications and even losses. Trust me, the bleeding I was having every day in my early pregnancy completely consumed me. I get being excited about the sex of your child (even if a tech has ALREADY told you) but PRIORITIES.&nbsp;Pay for an elective U/S if you're so concerned about staring at your baby's reproductive organs and other body parts.&nbsp;

Yes

Shame on you for trying to wag your finger at a group of people who actually have read this poster's history. It's obvious that you don't know WTF you are talking about. You are not our mother so take your admonitions and shove them where the sun don't shine. Mount up on your unicorn and farting glitter mobile to white knight elsewhere. Bye now!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Kfran84Kfran84 member
    Why don't you google boy ultrasounds at 24 weeks or whenever your next US is so you can know what to look for? I don't get how someone is supposed to describe what to look for. Just familiarize yourself with some examples so you'll know what you're looking at.

Also the health of your baby is more important than the sex and it's weird that you care about seeing it yourself when your tech has told you already, but whatever floats your boat.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FFS! Don't know why I even bothered asking ... Im feeling incredibly stressed out at the moment, nothing to do with baby's gender, everything to do with with the complications, so much so I had a panic attack in the middle off a shopping centre yesterday, I am an emotional wreck with worry over all the things that are going wrong.

Yes I did post regarding gender disappointment, no I don't wish It could change, that's ridiculous, Im trying to give myself something positive to focus on, like the birth of a healthy little boy.

I came here for support and I know you're entitled to think of me what you like, but thanks for nothing  

• Righto ... Who says I haven't, just not on this board you ***!

You lot have just proven to me that I what I think of Americans is true! I used to think you we're all a bunch of bigoted, racists, turns out that's me!

keep your nukes, keep interfering in other countries politics, keep wondering why the world hates you and stay the hell away from us! 

• I just find it really hard to believe that most women would be ok with not being able to SEE the baby's sex on screen.  Like if we all went to our a/s's and came home with no pic or had visual proof, I think most would be at least a little bummed.  I'm not saying I wouldn't trust the tech (although I have heard enough stories of techs being wrong), I just want to see!  As far as the OP, I don't know the backstory so maybe there's more to it, but I still don't get why it's a big deal to want to know the sex.  

Another thought, go for an elective u/s to find out.   

DD ~ 8/30/09 DS ~ 10/13/13
  • imageAntipodean:
    Righto ... Who says I haven't, just not on this board you ***!You lot have just proven to me that I what I think of Americans is true! I used to think you we're all a bunch of bigoted, racists, turns out that's me!keep your nukes, keep interfering in other countries politics, keep wondering why the world hates you and stay the hell away from us!nbsp;

Buwhaha holy hell, BSC! Pssst, not everyone who posts on these boards is American or from America.

This is completely unrelated to anything in your OP. You sound absolutely insane. Good job!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• shakesshakes member
    Well, I did kind of see that you were looking for a smidge of a silver lining even if your words weren't coming out right, and then you went all BSC. I am not American, nor do I live in America and I also think your priorities sound a bit skewed. But the Anti-American rant makes you a bigger douche then you feel like anyone else is being. No amount of stress excuses kunty behaviour. You ma'am have well crossed the line. It's kind of funny because after almost 6 years on these boards I have made it very clear that The Bump has changed my misguided opinion of educated Americans. I'm sorry for you that you're going to miss out on that. You suck OP.

• imageAntipodean:

Righto ... Who says I haven't, just not on this board you ***!

You lot have just proven to me that I what I think of Americans is true! I used to think you we're all a bunch of bigoted, racists, turns out that's me!

keep your nukes, keep interfering in other countries politics, keep wondering why the world hates you and stay the hell away from us! 

you're a gem. you insulted an entire damned country over a board that is INTERNATIONAL.

And when I quoted you, you used one of my least favorite words (f-tard)  

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • imageMySunshine213:

I just find it really hard to believe that most women would be ok with not being able to SEE the baby's sex on screen.  Like if we all went to our a/s's and came home with no pic or had visual proof, I think most would be at least a little bummed.  I'm not saying I wouldn't trust the tech (although I have heard enough stories of techs being wrong), I just want to see!  As far as the OP, I don't know the backstory so maybe there's more to it, but I still don't get why it's a big deal to want to know the sex.  

Another thought, go for an elective u/s to find out.   

lol, I came back from mine and the lady tried her hardest to point it out to me but it was like looking at sour cream flung at a wall... I could NOT see anything on baby b... so I guess I did go home with no "proof" and was okay with it  

imageimage
  • imageshakes:
    It's kind of funny because after almost 6 years on these boards I have made it very clear that The Bump has changed my misguided opinion of educated Americans. I'm sorry for you that you're going to miss out on that.

I am glad to hear this. dumb people always tend to get noticed quicker... 

imageimage
  • Antipodean, 

I am sorry you are under so much stress. I tried to ward off the haters with no luck. I hope you can find something positive to keep you going through these hard times.  

• shakesshakes member
    imagekatiebenes:

imageshakes:
    It's kind of funny because after almost 6 years on these boards I have made it very clear that The Bump has changed my misguided opinion of educated Americans. I'm sorry for you that you're going to miss out on that.

I am glad to hear this. dumb people always tend to get noticed quicker... 

It's very true. The U.S is painted with one huge ignorance brush and it's obnoxious. I can't tell you how happy I am to have met many of you who opened my eyes. I always considered myself a progressive and open minded person but I was quite ashamed when I grew to realize the majority are very kind and educated people. However, people like OP make me nervous regardless of where they come from simply based on her pissy flip out. Sucks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"