December 2012 Moms

Bed sharing guidelines

Ok so one more question about bed sharing. I keep reading posts that say things like "when it's done properly" and "when the guidelines for bed sharing are followed" that it is safe.
Just out of curiosity, what ARE the guidelines for bed sharing and how is the proper way to do it?
LO sleeps in his crib at night but usually ends up in bed with us after his early morning feed so we can get another hour or so of sleep. Thanks!

Re: Bed sharing guidelines

• I know the big one is no loose blankets and sheets, and put the baby on top of the blankets.  There's an Attachment Parenting board on TB that might have more answers for you.
  • I bedshare. Here's what we do. I sleep with 1 light blanket that I keep at my waist. I wear warmer tops. No excess pillows, I have 1 pillow. Baby sleeps in the crook of my arm facing me.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I very we'll could be wrong.... But I THINK at this age certain things are less of a factor. What's really important is:
    Parents aren't smokers. ::Don't flame me, this is a real warning::
    No drinking or drug use ::Benadryl, ambien, narcotics, nothing that makes you sleep "harder"
    If baby is rolling make sure they can't roll off the bed and put pillows on the floor in case.

At least with my LO...I've had blankets and pillows and no problems. However I'm such a light sleeper and so is she that if I barely move or she even twitches I or she wakes up. At this age she can move away from or push away a blanket if it gets too close to her face. I'm don't feel in danger of rolling on top of her. She lays rights next to me and we have a king bed so DH isn't close to her if I have to switch sides and she ends up between us, but I always tell him she's there and then i end up sleeping even light watching him.

There are a lot of resources online if you just google "safe co sleeping"
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Here's what I've found from my research:

Parents should be drug-free, non-smokers who are not obese.

Baby should sleep next to mom, not dad. It is usually suggested for baby to          sleep between mom and the edge of the bed with a rail on the bed so baby will        not fall out.

Do not use excessive blankets or pillows - nothing that could potentially                  smother baby.

Co-sleeping should only be done in a bed, not an air mattress or couch. 

This article has more info:

https://www.askdrsears.com/news/latest-news/dr-sears-addresses-recent-co-sleeping-concerns 

We co-sleep and LO is usually in the crook of my arm. If I roll over and face my hubby, I'll bring her with me (between us), but she is always in my arm, so my DH isn't going to roll over her. 

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Guidelines vary slightly depending on the source. The common ones we follow are:

Baby sleeps between mom and bedrail (not between parents as Dads don't have the same awareness)

Firm mattress with no squishy top (like soft foam or feather topper)

Thin blanket (no duvet or comforter) at waist level

No spare pillows, we have one each.

It is not safe when mom is overtired, taking medications that cause drowsiness, a smoker, or has been drinking. A bit more controversial, but some say its only safe with infants when BFing, because the mom has more protective awareness.

A great source is from the Mother Baby sleep lab at Notre Dame.

https://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/

• What I do is wrap my blanket tightly around me mummy style so it can't get loose and fall over her face. I have a guard rail but I think safest and recommended is mattress on the floor. Baby then me then hubby so that he can't roll on her or anything, they say baby never in the middle as only mom has that awareness of the baby. I actually have a wedge pillow I put behind my back for side lying so that if I were to somehow roll over in my sleep, it'd be onto my back and not over onto the baby the wedge pillow supports me laying on my side but so I am leaning back more than normal as if halfway between side lying and back lying if that makes sense.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJacqui105:
    What I do is wrap my blanket tightly around me mummy style so it can't get loose and fall over her face. I have a guard rail but I think safest and recommended is mattress on the floor. Baby then me then hubby so that he can't roll on her or anything, they say baby never in the middle as only mom has that awareness of the baby. I actually have a wedge pillow I put behind my back for side lying so that if I were to somehow roll over in my sleep, it'd be onto my back and not over onto the baby the wedge pillow supports me laying on my side but so I am leaning back more than normal as if halfway between side lying and back lying if that makes sense.

I do the same thing as u with the wedge but I use a blanket. Works well
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • i was thinking to post this.  tks for posting it!  We have hard time in putting lo into his crib and decide to co sleep with him properly starting from tonight.  He has been sleepung on daddy's chest  on the couch since day 1. he later on likes his pack and play but since he's over 15 lbs and getting squirmy, we took the top off and lo doesn't like the bottom anymore.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"