3rd Trimester

inductions scheduled for 41 weeks routine??

hey everyone, i'm 38 weeks pregnant and so far my dr. has said nothing about mandatory induction at 41 weeks but nearly every other pregnant woman i know who is having a hospital birth is having a mandatory induction scheduled for one week past their due date.  i'm really worried my doc will schedule one last minute and surprise me with it.

are any of you being required to get induced at 41 weeks? 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: inductions scheduled for 41 weeks routine??

• I was induced at 41 wks with DS1. It ended in a c/s.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • bongiibongii member
    that's what i'm worried about. i want to avoid the wave of intervention as much as possible.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • i was induced at 42 weeks, and they probably would have even let me stay pregnant just a little while longer, but i was not dilating and baby was not dropping
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • imagebongii:
    that's what i'm worried about. i want to avoid the wave of intervention as much as possible.

then it's your right to do so. most first time moms go past 41 weeks. if baby is doing well, there is no need to induce at 41 weeks. 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • They usually don't even start talking about it until you're creeping up on 40 weeks plus. He probably figures he'll cross that bridge if it comes to it. My doc didn't start talking about it until then; thank goodness I didn't need it. :D

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• imagebongii:

In hindsight I wish I would have waited, but my dad had just passed unexpectedly so I was a little emotionally dead on the inside, so I stopped bargaining with my OB & DH.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I'm a FTM too but around 28 weeks, my Dr mentioned that they would not let me go over 41 weeks.

I would talk to your doctor at your next appointment about your concerns. I really don't like the idea of having to be induced either.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • skioskio member
    Your doctor can't schedule anything for you without talking to you. If you don't want to schedule, don't schedule. You still have three weeks before that's even an issue; and if you'd prefer to wait until 42w, discuss that with your doc.

I'm a VBACer and even I already told my doc that I won't entertain the idea of scheduling anything before 42w barring medical necessity.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • I was induced at 40w 5d last time, but for medical reasons. I had gotten a series of infections, hadn't gained any weight in 2 months, and something else I am forgetting. For me, induction was the right choice. But, my doc only brought it up at my appt a couple days before. It was a conversation, not a mandate.
  • Definitely talk to your doctor about it. I had to bargain with my OB to go over 41 weeks with dd, he requested I get an NST to make sure baby and placenta were doing fine before he'd let me go to 42, and then he wouldn't let me go a day over 42. She came on her own at 41+1, exactly average for first time moms! We had discussed this long before it got to that point, as I included it in my birth plan I shared with him. 

This time, I'm with a midwife, and she doesn't even do routine NST's until 42 weeks unless there's reason to believe something else is going on.  

Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I brought this up at my last appointment because I'd seen so many people talking about it here, but did not know my doctor's stance. My doctor said she preferred not to go past 41 weeks, and explained her reasoning, but said that she would let me go to 42 weeks if I wanted, but that there would be a lot of appointments during that last week. We decided to play it by ear and see how I and the baby were doing if we went that long. Talking with her about it really helped clear things up and make me feel more comfortable.  

Jasper 

• imageskio:
    Your doctor can't schedule anything for you without talking to you. If you don't want to schedule, don't schedule. You still have three weeks before that's even an issue; and if you'd prefer to wait until 42w, discuss that with your doc.  

I was going to say the same thing. Your doctor can't force an induction on you.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My MW does not even discuss it until 41 weeks.  At 41 weeks there are nonstress tests and growth scans.  Induction will not occur until 42 weeks and then only if medically necessary.  They try to hold off as long as possible and just continue the monitoring.

Hoping we don't go that far.  Come on little guy, get out now! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My OB does not let you go past 41 weeks (which is common ? there are risks to going past 41. They can be managed, but some physicians feel it's safer not to). That said, she does not discuss induction until the 40w appointment.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageCRLSMC2011:

My MW does not even discuss it until 41 weeks.  At 41 weeks there are nonstress tests and growth scans.  Induction will not occur until 42 weeks and then only if medically necessary.  They try to hold off as long as possible and just continue the monitoring.

Hoping we don't go that far.  Come on little guy, get out now! 

Same here. 

• With my OB, there is a bit more monitoring after 40 weeks, induction between 40-42 weeks if there is a medical need/signs of placenta issues.  42 weeks is the magical number for eviction.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nope. My practice lets you go until late in 41w and then they do start encouraging you to induce. If you choose to wait, you have to go in a lot for monitoring to make sure baby's doing okay. I'm not sure how long they would actually let you go.

With DS1, as I neared the end of 40 weeks, my midwife suggested we make an induction appointment for 41w4d. I went ahead and scheduled it and crossed my fingers. I went into labor naturally at 41w and DS1 was born at 41w1d. Honestly, I think all practices should let people go over 41w before pushing to induce.

I'm hoping this kiddo will show up naturally at some point during week 40, if not sooner. Otherwise, I will probably start to get nervous again if he doesn't show up by 41w as I don't like intervention either.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told at my Lamaze birthing class that inductions at 41 weeks are still considered elective (assuming there is no medical reason). They recommended waiting until 42 weeks, which is what my practice does as long as there is no medical reason to induce before then. I am happy about this because I want to give LO as much time as possible to come on his or her own. Good luck!
  • i was induced at 41 with DS1 as well baby to comfy in there i believe there wasnt enough amniotic fluid in there for his growing body.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BIG BROTHER IS 4 and BIG SISTER is 2 in NOVEMBER
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"