February 2013 Moms

Nap Poll

Hi all,

I've been reading this board since my second trimester but haven't really posted (partly because I hate my screen name, which is left over from when I was on the knot years ago, and can't be changed!). Ryan was born February 18th so he is 11 weeks old this week, and I've been agonizing over naps, so I want to know what everyone else does. I know people keep saying babies shouldn't be up for more than 2 hours but my baby doesn't seem to know he isn't "supposed" to do this! He sleeps great at night and is relatively content most of the day, aside from his gas pains. He usually only takes 2 naps a day and they almost always take place right after breastfeeding. He's up for the day between 8 and 9, and then I hold him for his morning nap, usually around 10:30 and it lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Then I swaddle him for an afternoon nap around 2:00 and he sleeps in the RnP in the living room while I watch TV or do things around the house (I'm trying to work up to using his crib for naps and at night, but we're not quite there) and it lasts 2-3 hours. So total nap time on an average day is 3.5-4 hours.  But naps have been a battle this week. So my questions for everyone are:

How old is your baby?

When are they up for the day?

How many naps and for how long?

Where do they nap and what is the environment like while they're sleeping?

Do you dress them in anything special (sleep sack or swaddle) before they go down?

Anyone else's baby only nod off during the day after breastfeeding?

What time is bedtime?

Sorry if this is way too long!

Re: Nap Poll

• pinkyppinkyp member

Ha, we are birthday twins!

11 weeks old

One nap,30-45 mins around 10AM in my arms

maybe one short 30 mins nap around noon in my arms

Long 2-3 hour nap around 1, any where: on the couch, in the crib, in bed with me...

kid goes to bed around 6:30-7PM, gets up around 8:30AM, waking up 2-3 times to eat.

• My babe is also 11 weeks old. I don't do anything special for naps. He hates swaddles. I just make sure to have the radio on. It seems to help. One nap around 9 or 10 for 45 minutes. Number two is around 1 for an hour and a half. Number three is around 3 or 4 for an hour. Number four is around 6 or 7 for 30 minutes. We go to bed at 9:30 or 10. We've been STTN but sometimes he gets up at 3:30ish and we up at 6:30 to 7:30. Feedings usually amount to a sleepy baby and I don't try to keep him up.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • VespahVespah member

Feb 18 as well,  so 11 weeks

Up for the day around 6, but first nap starts about 1 hour after wake up. 

He takes 4 naps a day, a short nap is 45 min, but I usually get at least 1 nap that is 2+ hours. His awake time is almost like clockwork of 1 hour 30min. If he gets  to 2 hours he's guaranteed to be in melt down mode.

He naps in his Pack n play ( bassinette type), or his sister's crib, or Grandma's bed. Honestly I think I could lay him down anywhere. We have a very loud bathroom fan that is always on when he sleeps.

I swaddle in the large size SwaddleMe since he's about 15 lbs. 

I breast feed him before every nap. He pops off when he's done eating and I put him in his crib while he's awake but very drowsy. Breast milk has hormones that promote sleep, use Mother Nature!

Bedtime is around 7:30 ish, give or take 30 min. He'll wake up  usually once to eat at night, occasionally twice. But it's very quick and eat and back to sleep in 20 min.

Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

• How old is your baby? He is a little over three months old.

When are they up for the day? Right around quarter past five, lately. Brutal.

How many naps and for how long? 4-5 naps a day, usually between 30-40 minutes. Today he treated us to a two hour one.

Where do they nap and what is the environment like while they're sleeping? He naps in his swing, in the living room, it's not terribly bright but not darkened, with his white noise on.

Do you dress them in anything special (sleep sack or swaddle) before they go down? Not for naps. For bedtime he goes into the Magic Merlin sleepsuit.

Anyone else's baby only nod off during the day after breastfeeding? I FF, but the only bottle he falls asleep on is the bedtime one.

What time is bedtime? Routine starts around 6:30, and DS is down for the night by 7-7:15 if all goes well.

• How old is your baby? She'll be 14 weeks old tomorrow.

When are they up for the day? It really depends. Usually around 7:15 or 7:30 but she has slept later than that before.

How many naps and for how long? At least three naps swaddled in her crib. They last anywhere from a half hour to 3 hours.

Where do they nap and what is the environment like while they're sleeping? She almost always naps in her crib. Occasionally she'll nap in my arms if we're out and about. The environment is dark with white noise playing.

Do you dress them in anything special (sleep sack or swaddle) before they go down? Swaddle. We've tried not swaddling but she's not ready for that yet.

Anyone else's baby only nod off during the day after breastfeeding? Nope. We do the eat-wake-sleep pattern so the only time she sleeps after BF'ing is at night.

What time is bedtime? Between 8-9 p.m.

OP- since you only have 3 posts, if I were you, I'd just create another account with a screen name you like better.

PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• a&s05a&s05 member
    12weeks
    Wakes up 8:30/9:00
    Nap 10/10:30 after nursing, sleeps 23hrs in swing
    Nap 3/4:00 after nursing, sleeps 12hrs with me or in swing
    Bath everyother day at 7
    Bedtime 8/8:30 after nursing, sleeps in swing till I go to bed or 12/12:30 comfort nurses sleeps till 3/4:00 comfort nurses sleeps till wake up
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • How old is your baby? 10 weeks

When are they up for the day? 5:00-6:00

How many naps and for how long? We don't have a set schedule. Yesterday he could not go down and took 4 naps for about 30 minutes each. Today he was sleeping for most of the day.

Where do they nap and what is the environment like while they're sleeping? His crib with shades closed.

Do you dress them in anything special (sleep sack or swaddle) before they go down? nope

Anyone else's baby only nod off during the day after breastfeeding? We stopped BF.

What time is bedtime? between 8:30-9:00

• How old is your baby? 8 weeks

When are they up for the day? 8 or 9 am

How many naps and for how long? 2-4 at 1-2 hours with catnaps in between

Where do they nap and what is the environment like while they're sleeping? Could be anywhere! My lap, her crib, her carrier or carseat, it could be quit and dark or loud and bright or anywhere in between while she is sleeping, but if it is too loud she has a bit of trouble going down.

Do you dress them in anything special (sleep sack or swaddle) before they go down? If I want her in her crib for a nap, I swaddle her arms in. It helps b/c she falls asleep in my arms and doesn't notice too bad when I put her down. At bedtime I will swaddle her arms out if it is cool and she needs the warmth. I only put her in a nightgown if its cold. We are really part-time swaddlers. It works for us.

Anyone else's baby only nod off during the day after breastfeeding? My baby hardly ever gets to sleep without breastfeeding!

When I know she needs a nap and I don't have time to let her nap on me I will swaddle her really well and let her BF until she is deep asleep then I will gently lay her in her crib.

I do the same thing without the swaddle to lay her in her carseat if we are going somewhere. If's she's not in a deep sleep for the carseat its okay b/c the car will put her back to sleep if she wakes up.

What time is bedtime? Bedtime is usually between 9-10pm but could be as early as 7 or as late as 11pm. We co-sleep and she doesn't eat much at night. If it weren't for her diaper changes I would feel like she slept through most of the time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Drea926Drea926 member
    How old is your baby? 3 months on Saturday

When are they up for the day? Usually anywhere between 6:30-7:30

How many naps and for how long? 4 - 3 are short (30-45 minutes) and one longer (about 2 hours)

Where do they nap and what is the environment like while they're sleeping? He sometimes naps in his room in the crib, or in his RnP, we do a lot of naps in the bouncy seat or in the carrier if we went on a walk or car trip

Do you dress them in anything special (sleep sack or swaddle) before they go down? I swaddle, though have been starting one arm out, I also always use the sleep sheep (I have a travel one) and offer a pacifier if he wants it. 

Anyone else's baby only nod off during the day after breastfeeding? I stopped nursing so I'm out for this one, though sometimes he gets sleepy during an afternoon bottle and nods off for a minute while eating!

What time is bedtime? 7-7:30

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• imagejocgymnast72:

How old is your baby? 10 weeks (11 on Friday)

When are they up for the day? Around 7-ish

How many naps and for how long? 3-4, around 45 mins usually. Sometimes a little shorter. Every now and then we get the random loooong nap (3+ hrs) but sadly, that's dwindling. 

Where do they nap and what is the environment like while they're sleeping? I'm trying to push crib naps these days to work towards transitioning there for night time. I try to make it darker , usually just close the blinds. 

Do you dress them in anything special (sleep sack or swaddle) before they go down? I never used to but have been recently...just this week I think I started swaddling for naps. Sometimes arms in, sometimes out. 

Anyone else's baby only nod off during the day after breastfeeding? Yes, some days more than others. 

What time is bedtime? Usually start my last feeding around 8 and cross my fingers that that will put her to sleep :)

ETA: if we go anywhere shell sleep during that trip. Whether its in the car or in her stroller for a walk, etc. and I count that as a nap.  

• My son didn't used to take naps AT ALL during the day until we got a swing. And not just any swing, a swing that worked.

DS is 13 weeks.

He's up for the day around 10am. Or, well, at least that's when I finally surrender.  

He JUST started napping, and I don't know for how long, or for how many. It's still very new and strange to me. But when he's not gassy, I can get him to nap in his swing for many hours throughout the day.

If he's in his swing, he doesn't need to be in jam-jams or a swaddle, but I swaddle him at night when he's not in his swing.

Sometimes after BFing he'll fall asleep, but since he's not in his swing or swaddle, he wakes up within minutes.

I usually start trying to get him to go down for the night around 7pm, but it doesn't usually work until midnight. Evenings are the most difficult, and I think that's just normal. 

• Ha, I hate my screenname too.  Wish I could change it!

Baby is 12 weeks.

Up for the day around 9am.

One hour nap around 11am, 2.5 - 3 hour nap around 2pm, 45 minute nap around 6:30pm.

First nap is in his stoller (on our morning walk), second nap is in his PNP, third nap is in his swing.  Environment ranges from quiet to moderately noisy.

Baby sleeps in swaddle in PNP.  We are in the process of moving him to a sleep sack.

Mine nods off at almost every BFing session.

Bedtime is between 9-10pm most nights.

Sounds like we have similar nap patterns.  If I didn't put him in the swing in the evening, there would be no third nap.  He usually stays pretty happy anyways, but I too was concerned that he was up so much, so I just added that one in.  He loves his swing so it was easy.  If what you are doing works for you, I say keep doing it.  He might be having a growth spurt/wonder week this week (we did last week), so don't fret too much!  Wait a week and then see if maybe he goes back to normal.  I know it is hard!

• How old is your baby? 13 weeks

When are they up for the day? 7:30am

How many naps and for how long? Varies! About 4 45 min naps

Where do they nap and what is the environment like while they're sleeping? Naps in crib. It's dark with a noise machine on. Sometimes though she will nap in the swing. It's usually quiet in the house.

Do you dress them in anything special (sleep sack or swaddle) before they go down? Swaddle with one arm out. We're working on unswaddling.

Anyone else's baby only nod off during the day after breastfeeding? Yes, sometimes, but I usually try and wake her up by sitting her up and talking to her. I try to feed her right after her nap so this doesn't happen!

What time is bedtime? 7:30-8

Don't stress too much about naps--just focus on following his cues. I was stressing over my daughter's 45 minute naps, but it was making my days miserable. Naps aren't everything and eventually it will work itself out :) I do try to do the eat, activity, sleep routine, so we have some kind of routine, but I don't hold to it strictly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker

~I have a baby in heaven 3-20-12~
  • How old is your baby? 3 months tomorrow

When are they up for the day? 6:30am

How many naps and for how long? For the past three months she has barely napped--usually 10-20 minutes 3 times a day.  This week, however, she's been amazing.  She's taking 4 hour-long naps (sometimes longer) a day.  I sure hope this sticks!

Where do they nap and what is the environment like while they're sleeping? I started last week putting her down in her bedroom with the blackout curtains pulled and the lights out.  I do a shortened version of her bedtime routine too.  I think this may be why she's sleeping better.  Routine is change, bottle in rocking chair, and then into her RnP, then turn the lights off.

Do you dress them in anything special (sleep sack or swaddle) before they go down? Last week I tried swaddling, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone else's baby only nod off during the day after breastfeeding? I EP and she only falls asleep during/after a bottle or in the car seat after a walk/drive.

What time is bedtime? We start putting her to bed bertween 7:00-7:30 and she's usually asleep by 8.

• How old is your baby? 3 months this Saturday :(

When are they up for the day? She takes her morning bottle at 5AM but usually falls asleep right after. Her "up for the day" is between 8 and 9AM

How many naps and for how long? She takes 3-4 naps throughout the day ranging from 1-2 hours each. I do go out a lot so sometimes her naps are interrupted from being put in and out of the car seat and moby but her nap times are fairly consistent. 1 nap before noon, 2-3 naps before bed time

Where do they nap and what is the environment like while they're sleeping? At home she naps either in the moby or in her pack & play in the living room or on her boppy on the couch (with me next to her, of course) when we're out she'll nap in the carseat/moby, or on a blanket on a couch when we're visiting family (my parents and both sisters all live within a 5 minute radius so we visit almost everyday).

Do you dress them in anything special (sleep sack or swaddle) before they go down? No, I usually just cover her with a light blanket

Anyone else's baby only nod off during the day after breastfeeding? I do the Eat-Activitiy-Sleep routine as well so she only falls asleep when it's time for bed

What time is bedtime? Immediately after her last bottle of the day which usually falls between 9 and 10 PM

• lbonga1lbonga1 member

How old is your baby?

11 weeks today.

Usually around 8:30, but then down for a nap shortly after she's changed and fed, usually around 10. 

This seems to vary. Probably around 4, ranging from 30 min. to an hour. Sometimes we'll get a random 2-4 hour nap. I just look for cues...rubbing her eyes, yawning, or if she's being fussy and I've already fed and changed her and she's been up for a while.

Mostly in her swing but occasionally in her crib. She also usually sleeps in the car on our way places, and sometimes naps in the stroller. Her swing is in our room, and I keep the blinds closed with the door cracked so I can hear if she starts crying. 

Do you dress them in anything special (sleep sack or swaddle) before they go down?

Nothing special. If she's being super fussy I'll swaddle her. 

My LO only sometimes falls asleep after breastfeeding now. Maybe once during the day, then she nurses to sleep at bedtime and during MOTN feedings. 

What time is bedtime?

It was 9, but we moved it to 8 because she was being really fussy at night. Now she seems a lot more content and easier to put down for the night. 

• How old is your baby? 3 months

When are they up for the day? Usually I wake her up between 5 and 730am. She sometimes gets up on her own around these times.

How many naps and for how long? It depends who is watching her. We try to give her one nap in the morning and one in the afternoon. DH is not good at putting her down for naps. She catnaps here and there in between sometimes.

Where do they nap and what is the environment like while they're sleeping? in the stroller/car seat if we are out and about, her PnP, or cuddling on the couch.

Do you dress them in anything special (sleep sack or swaddle) before they go down? nope

Anyone else's baby only nod off during the day after breastfeeding? yes, she always did this. I think it shows that she's satisfied!

What time is bedtime? she is usually asleep by 9, but bathtime and our routine starts around 7

• Well this is discouraging!! DD doesn't nap with any kind of consistency at all:

How old is your baby?

11 weeks this Friday 

Between 6:30 and 9, depending on when I give up trying to get her back to sleep after feedings 

Anywhere from 1 to 8, they can be 10 minutes or 2 hours, though let's face it they are NEVER 2 hours. Usually 25 minutes. 

Either on me/on the boppy in front of me after nursing (I'll just watch TV while she sleeps-regular volume), or for the last two weeks I've been earnestly trying to put her down in her crib. It works about 1/4 of the time. 

I've been trying to swaddle her while she nurses the second breast so I can just put her down like at bedtime. It...doesn't work.

Nothing works, I just keep trying. 

Pretty much the best way to get her to sleep. Once, we put her in the crib drowsy and turned on her mobile and she fell asleep after fussing it out-and that has not worked again no matter how many times I try it.

She sleeps in the carseat in the stroller when I go on walks, and in the ergo at the grocery store. So I guess that counts? 

What time is bedtime? We start our routine around 6:30, but she doesn't ever fall asleep before 9. Usually around 9:30

BabyFruit Ticker
  • How old is your baby? 2 months +

When are they up for the day? 8-9

How many naps and for how long? 2-3 for 45mins - 2 hours. 

Where do they nap and what is the environment like while they're sleeping? Not always. 

Do you dress them in anything special (sleep sack or swaddle) before they go down? Not anything special except a sleeper at night. 

Anyone else's baby only nod off during the day after breastfeeding? Not breastfeeding. 

What time is bedtime?8-9 pm. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"