Breastfeeding

I love the Side Eye that I get from Co Workers

DS is 11 months old and everyday I leave to go pump a few times. All of my co-workers know that I breastfeed, obviously, and know that when I leave the office with a big black purse- I'm going to pump. Yesterday when I walked in, one of my supervisor's said "Ok, who's going to ask her?" and another Airman started laughing and said, "Ok, I'll ask, how long are you going to breastfeed your kid?". Everyone started laughing, and making jokes that I'm pinching pennies and my kid's going to be 2 before I'm done breastfeeding. I love the ignorance that surrounds me everyday.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: I love the Side Eye that I get from Co Workers

• That is so disgusting to me.  Sorry you have to deal with that. 
  • imagemexicolombiana:
    That is so disgusting to me.  Sorry you have to deal with that. 

These are all people that don't even have children of their own, so it doesn't phase me one bit. Thank you!

• Loading the player...
  • Man...if a supervisor said to me "you must be trying to pinch pennies" I'd have a hard time not asking "are you feeling bad about how much you pay me?"  Glad to hear you have a good attitude about it though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ugh... your co-workers sound so ignorant! Free is a nice bonus of bfing, but it's not about "pinching pennies" it's about giving your child the best nutrition, what nature intended for them.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this ridiculousness at work, keep up the great work mama!

• imagejasminelorraine20:

imagemexicolombiana:
    That is so disgusting to me.  Sorry you have to deal with that. 

These are all people that don't even have children of their own, so it doesn't phase me one bit. Thank you!

Good for you.  I have to remember that people w/out kids just straight up don't understand.  And many people really don't understand how breastfeeding and pumping works.   

• imagebelladonna11307:
    Man...if a supervisor said to me "you must be trying to pinch pennies" I'd have a hard time not asking "are you feeling bad about how much you pay me?"  Glad to hear you have a good attitude about it though!

Well I'm in the Air Force, so he has no control over my payroll! That would've been a good one though!

• MBush4MBush4 member
    I close my office door whenever I pump (usually 3X/day for at least 30 minutes each time) and while they tease a little that I do it to get out of work, they've all been very supportive. One of the older gentlemen in my office (I'm the youngest, except for the receptionist, by about 15 years but most are in their late 50s-early 70s) was telling me about how they should let me bring my baby to work so I could feed him here and how the students (we work at a university) could get over it. Haha

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• litzo27litzo27 member
    Well I would counter with "I'm going to wean eventually but y'all will be ignorant jerks forever".
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I used to get, "Are you STILL pumping?"  I stopped pumping right at the 15 mo mark.  I work as a teacher and had to go to the office to get a key to the closet each time I pumped and dragged my huge pumping bag with me.  They always looked horrified!  And both of them EBF their own kids! (Who are grown now though.) I always just said, "Yep!" and shrugged it off.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The military is not full of highly sensitive individuals.  That being said, getting some inappropriate jokes from coworkers is one thing and I'm guessing you can probably handle that.  Having a supervisor initiate it is another.  You might want to talk to the supervisor one on one and just explain you're trying to do what's best for your child and don't appreciate being the topic of conversation and subject of their jokes.  It's concerning that this person doesn't get that they're being inappropriate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"