Working Moms

Random working mom guilt..

Does anybody else have days when they feel awful working mom guilt? I love my job, but about once a week I get hit with this terrible feeling of how much I wish I had the option of staying home with DS. Just wondered if I'm alone in that one.
Visit The Nest!

Re: Random working mom guilt..

• You are not alone.

We have guilt that we're not home more with the kids.

then we have guilt for not wanting to be home all the time with the kids because we like our jobs and getting out in the real world.

Basically, guilt is the #1 requirement for a working mom :)

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

• I usually feel it when she's not feeling well and I wish I could just keep her home a day or two. Of course when she has a fever, or puking she stays home but just those other in between days. 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • You're absolutely not alone. I wish so badly to have the freedom to stay home more.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Of course!  But I think guilt is just part of being a mom so it would happen either way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are definitely not alone.  In fact, if I only feel that way one day a week, I consider it a good week.  ;)
  • I feel this way every now and again. There's always those days when I'm sitting at work and I feel like I'm just taking up space, rather than being productive because there's just nothing to do. Those are the days that I feel like I should be home with DS instead of "working".
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Yup.  I've been having a hard time the past couple of weeks.  Really the only thing keeping me going is the fact that summer is almost here and I will be home with DD.  (I'm a teacher.)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I do freelance work but am home all day with LO. I still feel guilty somehow that I'm not doing enough. I think as moms we just set up lofty unrealistic expectations and when we can't meet them we feel guilty.
  • No.  Guilt is pointless. I do wish I had more time with DD occasionally, but most of the time I'm happy to have a fulfilling career that keeps me sane, happy and healthy. 

I would feel guilty if I didn't work and contribute financially to my family though.  I would not be able to do it. 

• Yes, and I had one of those days today.  I think it's totally normal!  I think I would also feel a little loss of identity if I stayed at home all day.  We also can afford certain things because of being 2 incomes... things I remind myself when I'm feeling guilty.  Hang in there, mama, you're not alone :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I definitely do- especially near the end of the week. I feel like I have just been gone from the kids for so long. Financially, I need to work full time- plus I do like my job. A few things that help me out is having a routine- we do pizza night every Friday and Saturday is family day. I also try to take a random Monday or Friday off once a month to spend with the girls- It's a hard balance.

• I feel guilty about work ALL THE TIME. Lately, my manager has been scheduling me closing shifts, which means I'm at work past 11 pm. My husband gets up around 5:30 every morning and our DD is usually awake till one in the morning. If he watches her while I'm at work, he ends up losing sleep. We also only have one car, and I take it if I'm working late. My husband does whine A LOT, but it makes me feel guilty when I can't be at home to cook dinner or he feels stuck at home because I have the car. Most nights my mom takes the baby. Then I feel guilty about making my mom babysit till 11:30 or later. It's just a crappy situation right now. 

I do not love my job, but I've been with the company for 15 years and can't afford to go elsewhere. Sometimes I feel like it's totally NOT worth it to work, but then reality hits and I realize I HAVE to. My husband's job is getting better, though, and I've been thinking about transferring to another department which has more flexible hours. Some days aren't as bad as others. I'm just grateful for the time I do get spend with my little family. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"