3rd Trimester

Pushing...

How long did you push for? I've heard/read women say they pushed for a few min. and others over an hour.

Does it make a difference how long you push if you have an epidural or not?

Re: Pushing...

• mel1987mel1987 member
    In my personal experience, I have had two children, no epidurals, and pushing took less than 5 minutes for each delivery.
  • With DD, I had no epidural, and pushed for an hour, but DD was posterior, so that wasn't going to be fast at any rate. It didn't seem excessively long, as I was focused on what was happening. I don't recall feeling particularly exhausted or in pain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • My friend pushed for 3 hours.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSarahinMD:
    With DD, I had no epidural, and pushed for an hour, but DD was posterior, so that wasn't going to be fast at any rate. It didn't seem excessively long, as I was focused on what was happening. I don't recall feeling particularly exhausted or in pain.

I am still debating between epidural vs. natural. I would LOVE to go natural. Did you have a good experience?

• With DS I got Nubain and although my time frame is fuzzy I think I pushed for about 2 hours.  With DD I showed up at the hospital and had her 40 minutes later.  I didn't get any medication and think I pushed 10-15 minutes.  She was 1/2 a pound smaller but DS was still just 7 lbs.  Not sure if her smaller size made any difference.

• I had an epidural with DS1 and pushed for maybe 30 minutes?  It felt like about 10-15 for me but my mom said it was more than that (she was in there).  I know I didn't push through too many contractions.  They say that you can push more efficiently when you don't have an epidural because you can feel what/where you're pushing to push better.  I could only semi-feel anything (my OB didn't have my epidural turned off during pushing) and I feel like I was able to push pretty well.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • With my first I pushed for 1.5 hours. I had an epidural, but it did not work that low. I couldn't really feel contraction pain ? I could feel the tightening, but not the pain ? but I could feel everything below my hips.

With my second I pushed for about 10 minutes. I had an epidural that I got at 10cm (didn't know I was complete) so it was working great and I couldn't feel ANYTHING. 

I think there are a lot of variables that go into pushing time. Baby's exact position, your anatomy, whether it's your first or not, the level of pain you're experiencing, figuring out the "right" way to push, etc. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • No epidural; over an hour. But I was a chicken and wasn't trying very hard until they threatened me with an episiotomy. ;D

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Three kids, three epidurals. DD1 was 45 min, DD2 was the shorter, but she was facing up and had the cord wrapped, so with the chaos, I don't really know how long it took. DS was 10-15 minutes maybe.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• imageCoreW12:

How long did you push for? I've heard/read women say they pushed for a few min. and others over an hour.

Does it make a difference how long you push if you have an epidural or not?

with DD I pushed for an hour. I had a med free birth (no epidural).  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I had an epidural with both my kids. I pushed with DS1 for over an hour. Pushed only 4 times with DS2.

• ceechieceechie member
    There really is no telling. I couldn't get my dd1 out and pushed for almost 3 hours. But my ds2 came within half an hour. And he was huge! I've heard if your taller and thinner it tends to be easier. I'm 5 foot 6 and about 135. So I guess I hit the average?
  • Used an epidural both times...

DS- was 45 minutes (tore pretty bad)... 7lb 7oz

DD- was 15 minutes (no tears at all)... 7lb 11 oz

There doesnt seem to be any way to tell.

• I had an epidural, but they shut it off for pushing.  I pushed for 2 1/2 hours and eventually needed the assistance of a "vacuum" because his head was so big.  It definitely did NOT seem like 2 1/2 hours, it seemed more like a hour, it's just such a surreal experience, it goes by pretty quickly.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No meds and pushed for 30 minutes.

BabyFruit Ticker 9/19/12: Miscarriage at 12wks due to Triploidy, D&C 9/24/12 - I will forever miss you my little angel
  • About two hours. Epidural didnt work
  • imageLaurendaMB:

imageSarahinMD:
    With DD, I had no epidural, and pushed for an hour, but DD was posterior, so that wasn't going to be fast at any rate. It didn't seem excessively long, as I was focused on what was happening. I don't recall feeling particularly exhausted or in pain.

I am still debating between epidural vs. natural. I would LOVE to go natural. Did you have a good experience?

I had an AWESOME experience with a natural childbirth (in a hospital, no birth centers around here). I do think it takes a lot of preparation and education--think of it like preparing to run a marathon: sure, some could just do it on their own, but you're way more likely to be successful if you learn about how to train, what to do, and really talk with people who have done it before. We used the Bradley Method (read books, didn't do classes) and my husband was a great coach. Rather than being a very medical experience, it was a great bonding experience for us. After the birth, I had to receive an IV for BP that got high right at the end (had to do with me being lazy and gaining more weight in 3rd Tri than I should have) but otherwise it was just amazing.

Everyone is different, and everyone's support system and personality is different, but personally, I felt strongly that this was the decision best for me, my baby and family. Everyone weighs different things though. The Natural Birth board is a great place to learn more about people's experience, and I'd be happy to share more about mine if you're interested. Good luck! 

• Epidurals can make some moms push longer, however the average push time for FTMs is 1-2 hours.

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • JaimeCHJaimeCH member
    My experience: had an epidural (but could still feel the need to push), and pushed for 45 minutes. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Pushed for 3 hours with epi, but it was turned down so I could feel everything. My son was posterior so I was in a lot of pain and it took forever. I wish I would have opted for a c-section because I still feel pain down there 4 months later, but every delivery is different. 
  • Epi for both - ds pushed for 3 hours, dd 20 min.  You really can't tell...
  • lisamoelisamoe member

I pushed for about 20-25 minutes.

My labor was 26 hours (I was induced, though). 

• 3 children.

1st, epi, pushed 17 mins

2nd, epi, 12 mins

3rd, med free, less than 5 minutes 

Mrs. 5/03*DD 2/07*DS1 5/09*DS2 7/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I pushed for 2 hrs. I did have an epidural. It may have been faster if I hadn't gotten one, who knows...but I'm really glad I did because it was just so much calmer than it would have been if I hadn't.
  • Close to 3 hours. I had an epi and while I felt a ton I do think that had a lot to do with it. DD was also sunny side up, which didn't help matters. 

It also DEFINITELY slowed my labor. I checked into the hospital at 4cm and 2 hours later was at 8, which was when I got the epi. DD didn't arrive for another 6 hours. 

I'm hoping to avoid that nonsense this time around.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Had a botched epidural, pushed for over 2 hours, DS still wouldn't descend, so I had a c-section.
  • 3 hours and ended in a cesarean.

I did have an epidural but it wasn't place correctly so I ended in a general anesthesia cesarean.

I have known women without an epidural push for an hour while others push for 2 seconds and vice versa. 

• imageBelhurstBride:

It also DEFINITELY slowed my labor.

Agree with this. I ended up needing low doses of pitocin to stabilize my contractions because the epidural made the inconsistent.

I personally am all for removing all medical intervention you possibly can now but my experience has brought me to that place.

• I went natural and pushed for three hours.
    BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I did not have an epi, pushed for 3 hours. I believe my situation was mostly about simply not knowing what I was doing.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• 2.5 hours - epidural must have worn off - i felt everything. Her head was sunny side up - hitting my pubic bone. So it took longer.
    TTC #1 April 2009 Dx with PCOS September 2009 TI w Clomid x3 = BFNs IUI w Clomid = BFN TI w Clomid = BFP! August 2010 We are blessed. TTC #2 TTC on our own August & September 2012 = BFN x 2 (so I thought) Appt w RE Oct 2012 and got a BFP that day! Thank you, Lord. Nov 23 7 week u/s - so far so good. Jan 3 12 week u/s - still going strong. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't have any meds and pushed for 2.5 hours - ended up with a vacuum delivery and a 2nd degree tear.  I definitely preferred the pushing part of labour to the dilation part; the contractions once I was dilated weren't as intense.

• I pushed for 3 hours. He was stuck in my pubic bone, sunny side up, and over 9 pounds. I just zoned out the whole time.
  • I pushed for about an hour with DD1 and did not have an epi.  She was really high up though, so a lot of the pushing was to get her down the birth canal.

• I pushed three or four times which was between 10 and 15 minutes. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Two children, epidural with both and pushed for 15 minutes both times.  
  • I had an Epi, DD was posterior and I push for about 25 minutes with minimal tearing (although she was born with her hand by her face and her finger nails scratched the crap out of me on her way out so there were some stitches and healing from that!)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had an epidural with DS and pushed for 15 min.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I pushed for 3 contractions, 5minutes max and DD was out.

I had an epidural but by that point I could feel everything.

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"