Breastfeeding

~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

Welcome! This is a check-in for moms who are/were on a dairy free and/or soy free diet due to their LO's intolerance. The check-ins will be posted every Monday morning on the Breastfeeding board and XP'd to the Food Allergy board. If you'd like to join the group, just post an intro here and dive in!

To check out the archive of our previous check-ins, please see the MSPI Moms Blog.

Since we have a lot of new faces lately, let's do a GTKY. Please share your MSPI journey: when did LO first have symptoms, what were they, how long did it take to see improvement, anything else you'd like to share?

Re: ~*~*MSPI Moms Weekly Check-In*~*~

• Tomorrow will be 2 weeks I've been dairy free.  DS was very fussy and gassy, hard to explain, I know gassy & fussy is par for course with an infant, but it was just different.  He strained to pass gas constantly, cried when he did, his belly was tight and bloated... after talking with the pedi at his 2 week appointment she tested for blood and it was positive.  I've seen a pretty dramatic improvement in those 2 weeks.  I've cut out dairy 100%, but I did not cut soy like she recommended.  So far so good.  We tested again 1 week ago and he still had blood, and we go in another week to test again.  
  • morrkimmorrkim member

DD is 6 months.  I didn't notice anything till she was around 4 months.  There might have been signs before then, but I didn't think about them.  Around 4 months I noticed some blood in her diapers.  I called the doctor and he suggested removing milk from my diet and if there was still blood the next day come in and get a stool sample.  The next day I called back to find out if I was supposed to bring her in or just a stool sample (dr. has a horrible accent so I had some trouble understanding him on the phone).  The nurse was not available so I left a message (Friday).  The nurse didn't call me back till Monday afternoon.  I am out of town for Spring by then.  She says I should take her to the doctor and I said we are out of town so it will have to wait till the end of the week.  She informs me I should take her where I'm at.  We decided to wait till we got back because we didn't want to mess with finding a different doctor, the expense of it, and it didn't seem like such a big deal since they waited so long to call back.  Also H didn't think it was a big concern because he hadn't seen any blood.    When we called to set up the appt they said he was out of town and didn't have any availability for a week.  We discussed it and ending up calling them back a couple weeks later and they said he was booked for a week again, but once I explained that there had been blood in her diapers on and off for three weeks they made room.  He had us do stool samples, which turned out positive for blood, and had me cut out milk and said to do the samples again in 4 weeks.  We just sent in the stool samples and are waiting for a call.  She has not been having blood in her diapers as much, but I still see it in a few including the diaper after sending in the samples.  

sorry its so long 

Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry for the P&R this morning. Here's our story:

DS started getting dark green stools just before his 2 month check up. They suddenly went from normal yellow seedy to green and loose. I talked to his pedi and she had me bring in diapers to do some stool samples. They tested for blood as well as some other viruses that might cause green stool. All was negative. She told me to cut out dairy, but she didn't really say all dairy, so I just cut obvious dairy at first. I started doing more research and decided I might have oversupply too, so I started block feeding. We went back about 1 month later and he was still having symptoms and she clarified that I needed to cut all dairy. I found this check in and started learning a lot more about MSPI and eventually had to cut out soy, then eggs and peanuts, then went back to the pedi when he had blood in his diaper a couple of times. She referred us to a pedi GE and she suggested I cut out wheat next (this was around 6-7 months old). That seems to have done the trick.

I messed up on dairy when he was around 9 months old and he reacted. I've messed up on soy recently and he reacted. I gave him some egg yolk a couple of weeks ago and he reacted, but I also messed up on soy the same weekend so I'm not sure if it was really the egg. I don't plan on reintroducing anything else any time soon. He is still nursing strong and enjoying his solids!

• imagemrscjmb9410:
    imagerocknrollfriend:

Since we have a lot of new faces lately, let's do a GTKY. Please share your MSPI journey: when did LO first have symptoms, what were they, how long did it take to see improvement, anything else you'd like to share?

DS is 14mo.

He had symptoms at 2wks. Started as green foamy poo, so block fed to rule out fore/hind milk imbalance. Then blood streaks in diapers sometimes. Cut dairy at 3wks, soy at 5wks, saw immediate improvement wrt DS disposition, took another 6 weeks to see marked overall improvement.

We failed our yogurt challenge last week (IMO), GP says its fine and continue with dairy since there was no blood in the diapers that she tested. I'm conflicted. 

I remember you said his reaction pretty bad, what happened? DS didn't have blood in his diapers the first 2 times they tested them, even though I had seen blood. So, I understand why you wouldn't really trust that.

• imagerocknrollfriend:

Sorry im late to the game on this but hopefully it will help some one if I still answer :)

I suspected an intolerance around 5 weeks. She had a full body rash (which was hard to tell right away since she also suddenly got her baby acne then), was extremely gassy, had very mucousy stools, and dark specks( blood). I did some research and her pedi wasn't super concerned and just told me to stop eating things so I took it into my own hands and googled away. It took me about two weeks to go completely dairy free and then we also realized it was soy as well (I ate some things and the next day she was screaming in pain and it seemed like she had stomach cramps). I would say it took another two weeks or so to see pretty dramatic improvement in her rash and stools. I struggled for the next few months questioning everything I put in my mouth and every fussy day my lo had thinking her tummy was upset and that I was causing it. We gave lots of gas drops and camomile to help her. 

LOs mspi has been a blessing in disguise. I thought I ate pretty well before but I feel much healthier now and we as a family eat much better. I have found substitutes for all dairy items (and I like them better than the real thing now) except for cheese. All the vegan non soy cheese ive tried is absolutely nasty so I just do with out...and I dont even want it much any more. The only tough spots were when we would go out. Hardly any restaurants have allergen menus and I was always crazy worried that I would throw off LOs little system. 

LO started blw solids at 6 months and at 8 months shes a wonderful eater. We started to challenge her system by me eating hidden soy and she did ok I have had bits of dairy and she has done pretty well. No huge reaction just a little roughness/ eczema on her legs. I havent had large amounts yet but I consider it progress. I bought a little thing of goats milk yogurt to try on lo. Goats milk is suppose to be the most like human milk and yogurt is suppose to be the best way to intro since its easier to digest. Sooooo fingers crossed!!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrscjmb9410:
    imagerocknrollfriend:

We failed our yogurt challenge last week (IMO), GP says its fine and continue with dairy since there was no blood in the diapers that she tested. I'm conflicted. 

If you dont mind me asking, what happened when your LO failed the yogurt challenge ?

...we are doing one soon so I am curious.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DS is 5.5 months old. Our journey here is a little different from most because we don't have a doctor's diagnosis. As a matter of fact, the doctor doesn't even know we're doing dairy free yet.

DS always had exceptional gas, but it never really seemed to bother him. He wasn't fussy, he didn't really spit up a lot except when we supplemented with formula in the beginning (I think DH was giving him too much fearing he wasn't eating enough), his poops were all perfectly normal.

Around 12 weeks, I noticed the first green poops. Did some research and decided it was a hind/foremilk issue. Took steps to resolve that, but still green. Did some more reading and was finally satisified that he just had green poops because they were still seedy and he wasn't having any other symptoms. And, I was convinced it couldn't be dairy because I am a big dairy eater and had been eating tons of it since the day he was born. I figured it couldn't have deveoped that far in.

At his 4 month appointment, we didn't even mention anything to the doctor because neither DH or I saw a problem. About a week or two later, I noticed his stools getting looser and had some mucous. After about a week of this combined with some increased fussiness and some clear issues passing gas/pooping, I decided to cut dairy out for awhile to see if we noticed an improvement. He had also been cutting his two bottom teeth at that time, so we weren't sure what might be what.

After about a week, the fussiness and gas seemed better. Week two, his poops seemed more normal. Or, at the very least, they were not always green. We were seeing the mustard yellow/brown with still some green poops throughout the day. DH and I decided it was worth it to keep up since he seemed to be feeling better.

Of course, starting this past weekend, I've been noticing looser stools again and mucous again. I had not even accidentally eaten dairy; I've been cooking almost every meal at home and only eating out food that I know is safe. Now, I think he is getting a bit of a cold (cough, sneezing, itchy watery eyes), so that could be the cause of the current poops.

We go in for his 6-month appointment in two weeks and we'll discuss it all with the doctor then. Although, depending on how this cold goes and if his diapers keep looking the way they are, we might be in sooner.

Proud Doxie Mommy

TTC #1 since Sept. 2009 - DX unexplained IF March 2011 - "Surprise" BFP March 2012
    DS born via c-section 11/17/12
    TTC #2 (or, not TTA) Nov. 2013
    BFP #2 8/22/14, Missed M/C 6w2d, Discovered 7w4d/Official 8w6d, D&C 9/27/14
  • Hi ladies! I'm new here and hoping to join you. I actually don't have an official diagnosis either. Around 4 weeks, I noticed a rash starting all over LO's face, neck, and chest. I called our pedi and one of the nurses said it was likely baby acne and would eventually go away on its own. Over the next few days, LO's spitting up intensified, pretty much projectile spitting during and after all feedings. A few more days later, the mucousy, green poop began. I starting googling and discovered LO had other symptoms too. He was congested and had really dry skin. He had some fussiness too but nothing excessive. I brought him to our pedi and he suggested scaling back dairy and said LO likely had reflux. Since he had a great weight gain, was sleeping well, and didn't seemed pained, we took the wait and see approach. I cut all dairy immediately and saw some improvement in the spitting up. I then cut all soy, and LO's temperament showed a major improvement; those witching hours basically disappeared. We're soy free about a week now and hoping the eczema will decrease as well! I have a followup appointment with our pedi next week and this morning LO had his first yellow, seedy poop in what seems like forever!
  • imagemrscjmb9410:
    imagerocknrollfriend:
    imagemrscjmb9410:
    imagerocknrollfriend:

DS is 14mo.

He had symptoms at 2wks. Started as green foamy poo, so block fed to rule out fore/hind milk imbalance. Then blood streaks in diapers sometimes. Cut dairy at 3wks, soy at 5wks, saw immediate improvement wrt DS disposition, took another 6 weeks to see marked overall improvement.

I remember you said his reaction pretty bad, what happened? DS didn't have blood in his diapers the first 2 times they tested them, even though I had seen blood. So, I understand why you wouldn't really trust that.

Basically, he seemed fine...then we had a whole day of crazy poop. In cloth diapers! Out the legs, up the back, then went into sposies thinking there was some sort of sizing issue I wasn't seeing, same issues and the texture of the poop was gritty/sandy which is not normal for DS. and he was getting a bad rash almost immediately from every poop, even though I was changing within seconds! GP said maybe a virus. I think too coincidental with two teaspoons of yogurt less than 24 hours prior. He did fine with 1 tsp. SMH. I have no idea...

We will probably try again in a month or two.  

I agree with you... DH always tries to tell me "maybe it's a virus" but it's too coincidental with possible slip ups. I know we drive ourselves crazy sometimes with the guessing games but I think mommy intuition should be trusted.

• imagegingerjoe123:
    Hi ladies! I'm new here and hoping to join you. I actually don't have an official diagnosis either. Around 4 weeks, I noticed a rash starting all over LO's face, neck, and chest. I called our pedi and one of the nurses said it was likely baby acne and would eventually go away on its own. Over the next few days, LO's spitting up intensified, pretty much projectile spitting during and after all feedings. A few more days later, the mucousy, green poop began. I starting googling and discovered LO had other symptoms too. He was congested and had really dry skin. He had some fussiness too but nothing excessive. I brought him to our pedi and he suggested scaling back dairy and said LO likely had reflux. Since he had a great weight gain, was sleeping well, and didn't seemed pained, we took the wait and see approach. I cut all dairy immediately and saw some improvement in the spitting up. I then cut all soy, and LO's temperament showed a major improvement; those witching hours basically disappeared. We're soy free about a week now and hoping the eczema will decrease as well! I have a followup appointment with our pedi next week and this morning LO had his first yellow, seedy poop in what seems like forever!

Welcome! I forgot to mention in my post that DS also spit up a lot and was congested, and both of those symptoms, plus much of the gassiness, improved after I cut out dairy. I hope your LO continues to improve!

• Hi! I'm new here :)

My LO first had symptoms around 3 months when she had a patch of bad eczema on her cheek (oozing, bleeding, etc). Since then it has spread to basically her whole body but is worst on her neck, face, behind knees, fronts of elbow joint, and around her ankles. I asked her doctor about it and they said it was just dry skin! I should have fought them then and there... :(

Next time we saw the doctor at 6 months and her eczema had become much, much worse. They told me to try applying vaseline a few times a day to see if it helped (it didnt), and if not, just put hydrocortisone on it. I dont want to just cover up the problem so I started doing an elimination diet to see if it was food-related. I started doing some stuff I found on babycenter's babies with skin problems board.

We recently found out she is allergic to bananas (cause vomiting for many hours and she wont nurse).

We have been soy, dairy, and egg free for about a month and i also was not eating gluten, corn, peanuts/treenuts for most of that time.

We have seen some improvement but not much and are going to an immunologist soon for allergy testing.

LO is back to gaining weight, though! Her weight gain was stagnant for over 2 months, and in the last month she gained one pound.

I am having problems with losing weight - I have gone from 138 (5 pounds above pre-preg weight) to 126 in a month :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebubblewrapjk:
    Hi! I'm new here :)

My LO first had symptoms around 3 months when she had a patch of bad eczema on her cheek (oozing, bleeding, etc). Since then it has spread to basically her whole body but is worst on her neck, face, behind knees, fronts of elbow joint, and around her ankles. I asked her doctor about it and they said it was just dry skin! I should have fought them then and there... :(

Next time we saw the doctor at 6 months and her eczema had become much, much worse. They told me to try applying vaseline a few times a day to see if it helped (it didnt), and if not, just put hydrocortisone on it. I dont want to just cover up the problem so I started doing an elimination diet to see if it was food-related. I started doing some stuff I found on babycenter's babies with skin problems board.

We recently found out she is allergic to bananas (cause vomiting for many hours and she wont nurse).

We have been soy, dairy, and egg free for about a month and i also was not eating gluten, corn, peanuts/treenuts for most of that time.

We have seen some improvement but not much and are going to an immunologist soon for allergy testing.

LO is back to gaining weight, though! Her weight gain was stagnant for over 2 months, and in the last month she gained one pound.

I am having problems with losing weight - I have gone from 138 (5 pounds above pre-preg weight) to 126 in a month :(

Welcome! Sorry I didn't see this earlier and am responding so late. What a hard time you and your DD have had! I hope the immunologist can help you. Have you been on the Food Allergy board here on TB? You might find it helpful.

As for weight loss, I know, it is a problem. I think I am just now leveling off.. but every time I think that I lose a little more.. I know some mamas get help from a dietician. Given all your restrictions and rapid weight loss you might want to look into it. GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"