Parenting

Cleveland 911 Call Taker

https://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/07/18109569-should-the-operator-have-stayed-on-the-line-911-call-concerns-some-pros?lite

When I first heard the call, I was taken aback a bit by how meh the call taker was. And then she didn't stay on the line. I have been in the Communications area where I work when they have taken emergency calls, and we usually stay on the line until police arrive at the location.

I mean, its not like she was calling about being held against her will or anything.

Any opinions?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cleveland 911 Call Taker

• I'm sure they are investigating but I wonder how many hoax calls they've dealt with over the past 10 years. I believe I read there was one just last year with someone pretending to be one of the girls? So maybe he wasn't sure if it was the real deal or another fake. But regardless, I do think he should have sent a car right away instead of saying they'd wait until one was open and stayed on the line with her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Normally, every call is treated as if it is real, regardless of how many hoaxes. Maybe because I work with them, I noticed a difference. And she should never have hung up as quickly as she did. IDK, I guess alls well that ends well, but that PCO would have been written up in our department.
  • Loading the player...
  • While they should have stayed on the line, I have no problem otherwise. 

This is an unbelievably hard job.  You are dealing with people during their worst moments, and you never know what you are going to be dealing with at any time.  I also agree with PP that there have been many hoaxes on this case.

The three brothers are the suspects here, and people should not be associating the horror of this case with the dispatcher in any way.  

• imageferris0906:

The three brothers are the suspects here, and people should not be associating the horror of this case with the dispatcher in any way.  

+1 

• I actually thought the same thing. The 911 operator just seemed so preoccupied and I don't think treated it like a true emergency. And the fear in the girl's voice would've made me think it was the real deal. But maybe there was a high volume of calls at that time and didn't want to miss a call concerning another emergency?? I don't know...
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • imageeddy321:

imagePfft:
    I don't see a problem with the dispatcher's tone.

I don't either.  Sure, she rushed the end of the phone call and should have stayed on the line, but I don't think she should lose her job over it.  You have to admit it'd be a pretty outlandish call to receive, and I'm sure they've gotten plenty of fakes in the past.  She got help out immediately and managed to get the most important information, so I'm not sure why this is such a huge to-do.  Simply tell the woman to stay on the line next time and move on.

I don't think she should lose her job over it, either. I don't buy the hoax argument. It doesn't matter if every other call was a hoax regarding this case, you still have to treat each call as if it is the real deal. Unless she was the only call taker on that night, she shouldn't have rushed off the phone so quickly. We are a smallish agency, and we stay on the line with important calls like this one. There are times we have only three call takers, and it isn't an easy job. I still think this one lacked empathy and hung up too quickly, IMHO.

• I believe the dispatcher is a man despite the sound of his voice BTW. I know this is important to the discussion. <---sarcasm

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/60/2a/1e602a4261a90b9c761ebe748b780318.jpg    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/2c/07/472c076006afed606241716dd0db828a.jpg 
  • Was she on the street or in Ramsey's house when she called? I remember the dispatcher saying the call looked like it was coming from a different address than the one she was saying (which was just across the street). I think Ramsey said he called 911, too?
  • imageMrsGoodkat:
    Was she on the street or in Ramsey's house when she called? I remember the dispatcher saying the call looked like it was coming from a different address than the one she was saying (which was just across the street). I think Ramsey said he called 911, too?
    I think they both called around the same time.  In the recording of his call, he says something like "She's on the phone right now." 

I'm with acaudill.  A dispatcher is supposed to treat every call like the real deal, regardless of previous hoaxes.  It's definitely a stressful job, but that's the nature of the beast.  I am still friends with dispatchers I worked with for ~5 years, and they all said the dispatcher may be subject to discipline for not following SOP (namely, hanging up before ensuring that the victim was safely with LE).  Although, to be fair, they were comparing the SOP of Columbus to Cleveland, which may have a different one.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• I heard the 911 call and thought the same thing.  She should have stayed on the line.  Especially since Amanda Berry clearly didn't want her to get off the phone.  I mean, just stay on the line and comfort the person until the police are there.  Is is that effing hard? 
     Lilypie - (gu1R)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• You know when you dine out and the server is polite and reasonably prompt, but not all that friendly and doesn't do anything to really impress you?

I feel like the 911 call taker was a bit like that. B-/C+ service. Not like "Oh my god, she was awful! but not impressive either.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • imageLoisLayn23:
    imageLuckyDad:

You know when you dine out and the server is polite and reasonably prompt, but not all that friendly and doesn't do anything to really impress you?

I feel like the 911 call taker was a bit like that. B-/C+ service. Not like "Oh my god, she was awful! but not impressive either.

I can only imagine the lawsuit that comes if someone was waiting on hold for 911 with chest pain and they die of an acute MI because the dispatcher didn't pick up the other lines.

She can't win.

QTF.  It could be an UO, but I really wish they didn't release 911 calls to the public.  It makes me feel squicky, especially when the call results in someone losing their life.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• FTR, I don't think she should lose her job. If there was a buttload of calls coming in that night, and the department was understaffed, then she (or he) did what she could with the resources available to her. Otherwise, depending on her department's protocol, her supervisor should probably have a talk with her regarding the rushing through the phone call.

Our department writes you up for being a minute late in dispatch, so that is where I am coming from. I will ask one of our dispatchers what they think (a professional opinion) and report back.

• I can only imagine how hard it is to be a dispatcher in a city compared to a small town...how many calls are coming in at once that you're trying to get to, etc.

I agree that I don't understand why 911 calls have to be released, either. Or like how 2 hours' worth of police radio tapes from Sandy Hook are on YouTube. = 

• hmp1hmp1 member

My problem with it is that Amanda sounds like a little girl. The dispatcher never asks her how old she is and never asks her if she is in a safe place/feels safe. She said she was at the neighbors' house but she also said she was held for 10 years. She didn't know the neighbors, she probably didn't feel safe with anyone. She sounds terrified and doesn't sound like she wants to get off the phone. 

The dispatcher should not be punished (unless she did break protocol), she did get the police to her. But I think there is a lesson to be learned. If someone (especially someone that sounds like a child) is obviously terrified and requesting police, the dispatcher should offer to stay on the line until police arrive. 

I know I was always taught growing up to stay on the phone with 911 until the police arrived. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• imageMrsGoodkat:

I agree that I don't understand why 911 calls have to be released, either. Or like how 2 hours' worth of police radio tapes from Sandy Hook are on YouTube. = 

I believe this is all part of the Freedom of Information Act. Basically, anything that is paid for with public money and doesn't have a pressing need to be classified is available to the public. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • imageLibby1978:
    I heard the 911 call and thought the same thing.  She should have stayed on the line.  Especially since Amanda Berry clearly didn't want her to get off the phone.  I mean, just stay on the line and comfort the person until the police are there.  Is is that effing hard? 

+1

It wasn't so much the dispatchers tone, but when a person tells you they are free from a kidnapper who held them for 10 years and you say, "mm k. police will be there when a car opens up.." and the person CLEARLY seems to be grasping to stay on the line... You should probably stay on the line to comfort the person if nothing else. IMO

ETA: I also agree with who ever said they wish these calls weren't made public. Dispatcher sucking or not is NOT what's on trail or should be on trail.

• I had the same reaction. Working in EMS myself, I am fully aware that is NOT how to take a 911 call. From what I understand, they are investigating the dispatcher, but what's done is done. Very poor judgment on the dispatchers part. I was appalled by the 911 transcript
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"