March 2013 Moms

vent: do people not know what sleeping baby means?!

Please tell me I am not the only one dealing with noisy people! Once you get the baby calmed down & down for a nap it seems like all of a sudden folks pop up making all sorts of noise. I try to nicely explain that certain noise or activities will wake the slumbering baby. The nice explanation went out the window real quick so now I threaten to leave the screaming child with who ever woke him up in the first place. 

I need to post a DO NOT list:

1. do not rattle paper or cellophane bags

2. do not RING my damn doorbell if you are visiting. TEXT!

3. do not call the house at 10pm at night. *ringer has been turned off

i could go on & on.... 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: vent: do people not know what sleeping baby means?!

• 4. Do not slam or close the door loudly
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • 5. Walk past my house causing my psycho dogs to go ballistic.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • One of the things I learned from working in daycares is that babies who learn to sleep in noisier environments learn to sleep through things like dogs barking, door bells, other kids crying or yelling, caregivers walking around doing things. Those who learn to sleepin quiet environments wake up at the slightest noises like a sneeze or mom walking in the room.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • imagePipSqueak0313:
    One of the things I learned from working in daycares is that babies who learn to sleep in noisier environments learn to sleep through things like dogs barking, door bells, other kids crying or yelling, caregivers walking around doing things. Those who learn to sleepin quiet environments wake up at the slightest noises like a sneeze or mom walking in the room.

This. My baby sleeps through the world and its awesome. I've never been one for silence when he's sleeping. I will say if he's overstimulated, I do seek out a quiet room to calm him to sleep. However, generally, there is no quiet baby sleeping rule in our house.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My cat likes to meow right by baby's head as soon as he starts to drift to sleep. *le sigh*
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Leni410Leni410 member
    My father lives with us and will yell for me across the entire house. His response when i ask him wtf hes thinking yelling when I'm putting the baby to sleep "ohh i forgot we had a baby"...We?! We had a baby... If you had the baby you get to try to fight her back to sleep dad! Jeeze...
  • Lex703Lex703 member
    imageLeni410:
    My father lives with us and will yell for me across the entire house. His response when i ask him wtf hes thinking yelling when I'm putting the baby to sleep "ohh i forgot we had a baby"...We?! We had a baby... If you had the baby you get to try to fight her back to sleep dad! Jeeze...

Lol! I would sit her right in his room one night when he wakes her up. I bet he would remember then!
  • imagePipSqueak0313:
    One of the things I learned from working in daycares is that babies who learn to sleep in noisier environments learn to sleep through things like dogs barking, door bells, other kids crying or yelling, caregivers walking around doing things. Those who learn to sleepin quiet environments wake up at the slightest noises like a sneeze or mom walking in the room.

DH cousin has EIGHT kids and she suggested not being quite around our LO during the day. So we have always had noise on during the day so he learns to sleep though loud noises. Our dog barks a lot, the TV is on, I am on the phone, etc. Since day 1 he has been able to sleep through loud noises which is wonderful. At night we keep it quite though so he knows that it is bed time and sleeps for a longer stretch. That being said I hate it when I just put him down for a nap and someone comes over and just wants to pick him up and wake him up that way ugh.

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• I get this but with an 8 and 7 year old there is NO quiet around here. Folwer fot used to noises in the NICU and they continue at home. I think he could sleep through anything!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • jmdahnjmdahn member
    Louder the better around here.  DS#1- we were quiet and now he wakes up if someone drops a tissue!  I encourage dog barking and people to make noise so that this one is a hard sleeper! I encourage this at all hours of the day- my DH is on midnights and I have him watch TV when he gets home in the room next to DS#2 to help him hear and sleep through it!
  • I know what you mean.  I keep it pretty noisy during the day...lots of tv, dish washer, dryer, doors closing...........but if I open a bottle of water and it cracks *game over*   LO thinks the sky is falling and is wide awake!!!!

• CougFanCougFan member

Keep some white noise (or music, TV, radio) playing near LO while sleeping so it will muffle random noises.

For me, half the problem is that I want it to be silent for a little while, LOL. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"