Baby Names

Thoughts on Henley

Henley has been on our short list of names for our upcoming little boy. The one thing we don't like about it is that there's no "one syllable" nickname other than Hen. We don't like Lee, either. But as a whole, we love Henley. We've even considered using Ben as a stretch nickname. (Hey, if William can be Bill, can't Henley be Ben?)

What's your take on it? We know it's a style of shirt, and are familiar with "Henley on Thames" but aren't really concerned about things like that. 

Re: Thoughts on Henley

• That's my niece's name...
    What would the middle name be?
  • I assumed from the title Henley would be about a girl. Ben would be a stretch.

Have you thought about H as a nn? The characters on CSI Miami always call Horatio, H. I kind of like it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Isn't Henley a kind of shirt?  Maybe I'm making that up, but it sounds familiar somehow.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeeeah I know Ben's a stretch. ;) We probably wouldn't ever do that, just thinking broadly!

It seems almost any name is used as a girl's name nowadays. We've crossed many off our lists because girls "stole" them! lol.. Henley is still pretty rare, though. But I can see it becoming popular. I'm also curious on how many get the "girl" vibe just upon hearing the name. 

We think Henley is a great fit for a boy and fits a variety of personality types.

• imageJoy2611:
    Bill is a nickname for William because of a looong ago pronunciation of the name in Gaelic.nbsp; You can do whatever you want, but Ben as a nickname for Henley makes no sense.Henley isn't my style last name as a first name Don Henley trendy but I do appreciate that it's going on a boy and not a girl.

I agree.
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Why does it have to have a nickname? If you want to name your son Henley, why not just call him Henley?  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagesnuggle+monkey:
    Why does it have to have a nickname? If you want to name your son Henley, why not just call him Henley?  
    We are abbreviators by nature.. lol. It's just nice having the different options in a name, which is our only gripe about Henley.

Surprisingly, I don't hate the idea of just calling him "H" for short! 

• I don't like Henley or Ben as a nn.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTGP March Siggy Challenge
  • macska3macska3 member
    It's a local elementary school. Dislike.
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • cjm724cjm724 member
    Henley is NMS, nor do I think Ben could be used as a nickname.  But, if you are in love with it... go for it!  I just think it's very feminine sounding, and I wouldn't want that name if I were a boy.
  • I feel like it doesn't need a nickname, if you like the full name. Why force a nickname? Just call him "Henley".
  • SevenR7SevenR7 member

I assumed that Henley was a boy name when I read the post title.

Even though I work with young children and hear lots of names, I can't think of a Henley that I know. I like it for being different.

As far as using the nickame Ben, I think it could work.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My instinct was that it was a girl name.  Also, a two syllable name doesn't really need to be shortened IMO.  
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• Kfran84Kfran84 member
    I would think that if a little boy told me his name was Henley, I would assume he was saying Henry with a speech impediment. Why not Henry?

Also, it's Dexter's shirt.

If you want to call him Ben, name him Benjamin.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my first thought was Don Henley and my 2nd was a type of shirt.

not a child of either sex

• BLPL101BLPL101 member
    REALLY dislike for either sex.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I only know a girl named Henley. It's just 2 syllables, I don't think a NN is necessary.
  • imagemagsugar13:
    my first thought was Don Henley and my 2nd was a type of shirt.not a child of either sex

Yup. Dislike.
    Birthday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagekaswanson:
    My instinct was that it was a girl name.  Also, a two syllable name doesn't really need to be shortened IMO.  

Ditto...plus, if he talks with any sort of lisp or quietly it will sound like Henry.

I honestly thought it was a girl's name you were asking for opinions on.  Henley does NOT read boy to me.

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• I think it's terrible.
  • I think it ties too closely with the '-ley/leigh' ending trend for girls. If it were something like Riley/Bradley/Charlie it wouldn't, but Henley just doesn't really...work for me, for lack of better words.

I have to say, I would HATE it on a girl though.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • From your title, I thought you were talking about a girl name.  It's really, really bad for a girl or a boy.
    PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Wow, you people have harsh opinions on Henley. lol.. we still like it regardless, we'll see how it fits on him when we get in the delivery room!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"