Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Help with scratching the face

So I cut my LO's nails but even then he still manages to scratch himself and I actually accidentally cut his lil finger when cutting his nails and i was sort of traumatized so i started to bite his nails off thinking maybe the edges won't be sharp or something if i bite vs cut but it still happens. I usually have socks on his hands but he's starting to really use his little hands to grasp and bat and I want to be able to have them off. 

Any tips of how to get his nails so he cant scratch himself?

Pregnancy Ticker Owner & Creator of www.GreatestKidsGames.com

Re: Help with scratching the face

• Have you tried a nail file? Otherwise, do your best to keep the short but its inevitable that LO will scratch her face.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For cutting his nails, have you tried when he's asleep? We have the best success then. Also, try using a little nail file to smooth them. I used that when I was too scared to cut his when he was super new.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly you're not going to be able to keep him from scratching unless you put mittens on his hands. Babies skin heals pretty quickly so I don't think it's that bad if they scratch themselves from time to time. Be careful biting them off though because if he has a cut it could lead to infection.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • CellisCellis member

imagelifewrite:
    Honestly you're not going to be able to keep him from scratching unless you put mittens on his hands. Babies skin heals pretty quickly so I don't think it's that bad if they scratch themselves from time to time. Be careful biting them off though because if he has a cut it could lead to infection.

This. DS will still scratch his face sometimes and I clip his nails pretty often, but it doesn't seem to bother him and he heals quickly. I have read that you shouldn't bite their nails because of bacteria in our mouths. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • There really isn't too much wrong with them scratching their faces...they heal so quickly at this stage because they are growing so fast that cell turnover is lightening fast.  We were actually advised by our hospital and pedi not to put mittens on our LO's hands because that is how they learn about their world. 

Nicking their little fingers sucks, but it's okay.  Every mom does it.  I just did it today.  (It does make you feel bad, though.)  :-(

• When DD has meltdowns she will scratch herself till she bleeds (always in the car when I can't help her). The first time I clipped her nails, I clipped her finger. So did DH. But now it is easy. I just do it while she is BF or deeply asleep. I turn the clippers up to avoid her finger and just get the nail. Then I buff them with the emery board (she hates the emery board) just enough to smooth them. Its good for about 3-4 days then I have to do it again. Usually she'll scratch herself before I can get to her manicure. If that happens I put some breastmilk on her scratches. She had a really bad one that was gone in a day! I just rubbed the BM in every time she got some on her chin or every time my nipple dripped. Idea

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"