May 2013 Moms

Odd Interview Request

I'm headed off to another interview this afternoon and my confirmation e-mail states that the company can ask for a recent college transcript or a previous pay stub at any time.

While I think the college transcript is ridiculous - I graduated over 7 years ago and I'm pretty sure none of the classes I took will impact my job; I find the recent pay stub a huge invasion of privacy.

Have you ladies seen this before??

BabyName Ticker

Re: Odd Interview Request

• I always have to send a copy of my college transcript since I am a teacher. To me that isn't ridiculous. However, I think a recent pay stub is absolutely an invasion of privacy. Plus what about those who have been unemployed for an extended period of time. It just seems rude to me. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • MrsRKJMrsRKJ member
    The transcript is probably to tell them that you in fact went to the school that you claim to have gone to, received the degree you claimed that you earned and graduated.
    Welcomed our baby boy Henry on March 15, 2013 (7 weeks early!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTA until 2014

• Loading the player...
  • My husband just recently got a new job. The background check company requested his 1st and last pay stub as proof of employment. We didn't think of it as invasion of privacy. 

• The transcript I find routine. They'll often ask for that here especially if what you studied is applicable to the job. However, a pay stub seems very intrusive to me. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I can see the transcript, depending on job requirements, but the pay stub would leave you with less negotiating power. I never share my past salary.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member

imagejerseygirl81:
    I can see the transcript, depending on job requirements, but the pay stub would leave you with less negotiating power. I never share my past salary.

My thoughts exactly. 

• imagejerseygirl81:
    I can see the transcript, depending on job requirements, but the pay stub would leave you with less negotiating power. I never share my past salary.

Totally agree.

My little bug, Madeline. Born June 2, 2013.

• The transcript doesn't seem crazy, depending on the type of career you have. The paystub thing seems slightly odd I have never heard of that before.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • rsage53rsage53 member

imagejerseygirl81:

I agree with this.  However, I wonder if that is the reason they might ask for it. If someone did disclose how much they made at a previous job, it might be to verify they were being honest?!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • KLJ3KLJ3 member
    College transcript: completely normal.

Pay stub: seems strange at first, but the application for every government job I've ever applied for has requested previous wages or salary info. My current job requested a pay stub to verify previous employment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I understand giving them a transcript.  The reason I find it silly these days is most employers don't care what you went to school for, they care that did go.  I used to work for a bank in the internet banking department and my 3 coworkers had degree's in English, Dance, and Pre-K teaching.  Not even close to the job they were doing.
    BabyName Ticker
  • If they're just verifying previous employment, then isn't that one of the things they do when they call your references?  And if they do require the pay stubs, any way you can just black out some of the info with a sharpie?  
  • imageLC827:
    If they're just verifying previous employment, then isn't that one of the things they do when they call your references? nbsp;And if they do require the pay stubs, any way you can just black out some of the info with a sharpie? nbsp;

Good idea. I'd do this.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagersage53:

imagejerseygirl81:

I agree with this.  However, I wonder if that is the reason they might ask for it. If someone did disclose how much they made at a previous job, it might be to verify they were being honest?!

This was my thought. They probably dont want to be offering a ton over what u were getting paid, so they ask for it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"