January 2013 Moms

Pacifier?!? (vent...)

I don't post much, but I had to get this off my chest...

I went to pick DS up at daycare yesterday after work, only to find one of the teachers trying to stick a pacifier in his mouth.  I'm not anti-pacifier, but my DH and I decided not to use one with our son.  We've never used one and he does just fine.

I just couldn't believe it!  I got there and I grabbed it out of his mouth and said "buddy, that's not yours!", and the teacher was just kind of shocked and said, "oh really?? He's had it since this morning.  I'm sorry about that." 

Am I overreacting to be upset?  I want to call the school today and make sure that they know he is not to have a pacifier, and I KNOW we had to sign and fill out paperwork which indicated that he does NOT use one.

The thing is, he's never used one AND who's pacifier was it??!!  Ugh, I'm just upset over it because it's been one thing we've been so strict on and just haven't used with DS....He took a 2 1/2 hour nap yesterday at daycare (which is not normal for him to go that long) and now I'm wondering if they gave him the pacifier to put him down??

Ok, end rant....thanks for listening, it's been eating me up all night long.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Pacifier?!? (vent...)

• Yikes!  Well, while I don't think it's the end of the world, I definitely wouldn't be pleased with the situation.  I think it warrants discussing with someone.  Can you just talk to the care provider(s) directly, or is it better to go through the higher ups?  I would definitely make sure you're on the same page about this. 
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Not okay!
    Here was one the other day about a kid bwi given another mothers breastmilk. Wtf?! Hat paci could've been covered in germs!!! Who knows since the caregiver had no clue. Din just talk to the workers. Go straight to the director and be sure your needs is being followed. And I'd pop in during a naptime now to be sure. They may have been giving the paci to get him down without your knowledge. Not okay. At all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Someone elses' breastmilk?! Yikes...it definitley could of been worse!

I realize that our LO's are going to be putting far worse things into their months soon enough (if not already!), I just felt like this was 100% preventable.  I'm going to definitley talk to the director, just to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Still so bummed about it, but know mistakes happen...let's just hope not again :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah I definitely would be pissed too. However, I think personally I'd feel like I addressed it with the teacher already and I'd be confident she'd get the message-- I probably wouldn't need to bring it to the director's attention at this point...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This made me LOL, seriously, I wouldn't be pissed or concerned.  But we all want what is best for our children, if you LO had a good day with paci, why aren't you willing to give it a try? Babies sometimes lead us to what might best suit them, so we shouldn't be so set in our ways, especially since its not like a paci does any harm.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageWild_flower25:
    This made me LOL, seriously, I wouldn't be pissed or concerned.nbsp; But we all want what is best for our children, if you LO had a good day with paci, why aren't you willing to give it a try? Babies sometimes lead us to what might best suit them, so we shouldn't be sonbsp;set in our ways, especially since its not like a paci does any harm.

Because someone else shouldn't make the choice. She's the mom.
  • imagezonagirlie:
    imageWild_flower25:
    This made me LOL, seriously, I wouldn't be pissed or concerned.nbsp; But we all want what is best for our children, if you LO had a good day with paci, why aren't you willing to give it a try? Babies sometimes lead us to what might best suit them, so we shouldn't be sonbsp;set in our ways, especially since its not like a paci does any harm.

I'm not "anti-pacifier", we've just never felt the need to try LO with one and he naps and goes about his day just fine.  It's more the fact that it was some other kids pacifier...he didn't come to daycare with one, so I guess I wouldn't expect them to just put one in his mouth.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageJewels02:

imagezonagirlie:
    imageWild_flower25:

I'm not "anti-pacifier", we've just never felt the need to try LO with one and he naps and goes about his day just fine.  It's more the fact that it was some other kids pacifier...he didn't come to daycare with one, so I guess I wouldn't expect them to just put one in his mouth.

Exactly. My boy chews a paci sometimes when his teeth hurt. I'm not a binky hater persay but if my kid was given someone else's pacifier or bottle, I'd be pissed. I have our own thugs for a reason and day cares need to be respectful of what you want. Just because kids get sick at daycare and close proximity of kids can harvest germs, but why should we let them have lazy standards of care?
  • imagezonagirlie:
    imageJewels02:

imagezonagirlie:
    imageWild_flower25:

Exactly. My boy chews a paci sometimes when his teeth hurt. I'm not a binky hater persay but if my kid was given someone else's pacifier or bottle, I'd be pissed. I have our own thugs for a reason and day cares need to be respectful of what you want. Just because kids get sick at daycare and close proximity of kids can harvest germs, but why should we let them have lazy standards of care?

I don't think they were being lazy, it was an honest mistake.  Isn't her LO relatively new to the daycare?  I forgot DD's paci on her third day and none of them really noticed, except that she was fussy and ate twice as much as normal (she just wanted to suck). 

If something helped my DD sleep for 2 hours, I would be mad it happened for like 5 minutes, bring it to eveyrone's attention, and then give it a try myself.  JMO

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageWild_flower25:

This
    2.5 hour nap? Sounds like a win to me.

• At the daycare I used to work at we would put the initials on each child's pacifier so there wouldn't be any mistaking who it belonged to...maybe they could try that there. I would be upset if I were you too. We try so hard to keep our babies healthy it's frustrating when other people make stupid mistakes and jeopardize their health.
  • imageJandK4ever:
    At the daycare I used to work at we would put the initials on each child's pacifier so there wouldn't be any mistaking who it belonged to...maybe they could try that there. I would be upset if I were you too. We try so hard to keep our babies healthy it's frustrating when other people make stupid mistakes and jeopardize their health.

Exactly this. Here are precautions hat should've been taken. Making excuses is ridiculous. I've worked in child care pretty much from day one of job one and a lot of day care workers are just too lazy. Just be careful. And you should always tell the director. Bringing things up to just the workers makes your child vulnerable. Be vigilant with your child's care.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"