Natural Birth

Another question about NB

Before I got my epidural, I was moaning and screaming a lot from the pain of the contractions. I'm sure I would have been doing the same thing (and more so) as my labor kept progressing if I had not gotten an epidural.

Did any of you ladies make as much (or more) noise than I did while you were in labor? I'm all self conscious about it...but I want to have a NB next time, and I want to know if I'm not the only one...  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Another question about NB

• I surprised myself by being very noisy in active labor.  I moaned, yelled, and groaned.  When I was in triage there were several women who were getting induced or having scheduled C/S.  I know I scared the crap out of them because I was making so much noise.   When it came time to deliver I was even louder.  I screamed and flailed around like a crazy women.  I screamed for the OB to '"get this baby out of me."  At the time I did not care how much noise I made.  I was dealing with contractions and intense back labor.  I do hope that next time I am more quiet and zen like but if not oh well.
  • First and foremost, who cares if you yell???

I didn't make alot of noise except groaning through transition but that is because I knew yelling was not the optimal way for me to handle the contractions.  I focused (and I mean FOCUSED) on breathing and getting through each contraction.  You need to relax and not fight against your contractions.  Let them do their thing.  When you're yelling, you're using energy that can be used elsewhere.  The same for pushing.  I yelled when I felt LO decend and my OB yelled at me to focus.  He was right though.

For your second labor, youll have a ton of positions and ideas of how to deal with the contractions.  (I don't know how your 1st went down so I am assuming a bit here).  You'll have to remember everything you read and learned and stay calm.  Write a list if you must.

There's alot to read about how fear stalls/hurts labor and you should read up on that too.  Yelling often comes from that.

My labor was very very long and my water never broke.  It progressed slowly over 40+ hours that made it easier in some ways then a labor that goes from 0-60 in an hour.  Regardless of how your labor progresses, you can do it and no one cares if you yell.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • JKB1986JKB1986 member
    I was fine until I got to about 8-9 cm and then I was moaning and every once in awhile saying OW! It helped get the frustration out, don't ask me why. When I got out of the tub to get back on the bed I was 9.5 cm with a bulging bag and when laying on the bed the pressure was so intense that I was half yelling, half moaning. The nurse (my AMAZING nurse) reminded me to breathe in through my nose and out my mouth and that helped a ton. The doctor broke my water and I went right to a 10. While pushing I feel like I kind of shrieked in between pushes. I felt like I was being really loud but DH and the nurses said I wasn't really that loud so who knows. I was more pissed off at the pain then anything so when I yelled it felt good, like I said before, to release the frustration.
  • With my first I made very little noise until the very end, after pushing for a couple hours and waiting for a csection, which I knew by then I was getting. With my second I was very loud and made this awful feral growl or something. My throat was actually quite sore the next two days :
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  •  Do you think it was the contractions itself or do you think you got scared?  I only ask because with DD I hummed during contractions.  Her labor was a nice slow steady labor that was pretty peaceful.  With DS I arrived complete and DS was born in triage.  I was doing fine, went with DH to park the car walked into the hospital, refused a wheel chair, etc.  Still being vocal through contractions, but just moaning.  When my MW checked me she said with a surprised look on her face, "Your bag is bulging and the head is right there!"  Then all of a sudden I got scared.  I only pushed twice, but was screaming as I was pushing.  But I remember it wasn't so much the pain just fear.  It all just took me by surprise!  

You shouldn't be self conscious at all, you were having a baby!  That being said, if you felt like screaming was not helpful to you maybe you should consider Hypnobirthing.  It focuses on keeping you calm and breaking that cycle of fear.

• HyalineHyaline member
    As my awesome LD nurse said when I apologized for making noise--"That's labor and delivery!"  You do what you need to do--for me, I was pretty quiet until transition, but that was just how I felt most comfortable.  
  • I am normally very shy and quiet, but I was very vocal in labor.  It's extremely common for laboring women to make noise.  Try not to feel self conscious!
    Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • imagesschwege:

Do you think it was the contractions itself or do you think you got scared?  I only ask because with DD I hummed during contractions.  Her labor was a nice slow steady labor that was pretty peaceful.  With DS I arrived complete and DS was born in triage.  I was doing fine, went with DH to park the car walked into the hospital, refused a wheel chair, etc.  Still being vocal through contractions, but just moaning.  When my MW checked me she said with a surprised look on her face, "Your bag is bulging and the head is right there!"  Then all of a sudden I got scared.  I only pushed twice, but was screaming as I was pushing.  But I remember it wasn't so much the pain just fear.  It all just took me by surprise!  

You shouldn't be self conscious at all, you were having a baby!  That being said, if you felt like screaming was not helpful to you maybe you should consider Hypnobirthing.  It focuses on keeping you calm and breaking that cycle of fear.

You know, I'm not sure what it was. I think it was mostly the pain, because DS had always been low in my pelvis before I went into labor (that's just where he was; I was 80% effaced about 2 or 3 weeks before I went into labor). I took classes and I knew exactly what was happening to my body, so it wasn't like I had no idea what was going on. I think I just needed to let it out, and I always thought those breathing exercises (the hees and hoos) were really weird, and I wasn't going to do them, so I think I was a little ill prepared in the fact that I wasn't sure how to cope with the pain, if that makes any sense.

• abell77abell77 member
    My first birth I made alot of noise.  It got to the point where the only way I could handle the contractions was to scream through them.  I know I was burning energy, but baby was OP plus I was given cytotec (long story) so my contractions were one on top of another.  It was rough.  Anyway, second birth was completely different.  Shorter and easier, no cytotec and no back labor.  I felt totally in control during my entire labor, and honestly did not make much noise until the very end.  So just remember that every labor is different, and don't worry about making noise.  Do what you gotta do!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Towards the end, I was vocalizing with my contractions, but it was not really yelling, it was more like a PP described of humming, which helped a lot.

When it came time to push, I actually started yelling, but it was not from fear or pain, but because my MW was telling me to 'push gently' (whatever that means! [:-p]) when I was pushing out her head, and yelling helped me to stop my body from pushing with everything it had. I barely even remember doing it, but it worked.

I think that if your sounds are helping, not hindering you, you just have to go with it. 

imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • When I was in active labor, I was moaning a lot. Nothing too crazy, just low, deep moans. When it came time for me to push? I went into banshee woman mode. I was screaming my head off, and I'm sure to the casual observer standing outside the birth center, it must have sounded like we were filming a horror movie. I wasn't screaming from the pain, per se, but more because I had no choice but to submit to my body. Whether I wanted to push or not, that baby girl was coming out and there wasn't a thing I could do about it! :) It really freaked me out, and I responded by screaming my head off. I actually lost my voice for a few hours afterward.
  • I vaguely...I was in this zone so it's hard to remember everything...moaning (that bordered on yelling) during my contractions. I remember going through this for a few hours and the midwife coming into the room I was in and said "What's all the fuss about". Man, if I had the energy I would have told her to F off. I was so over labor at that point and baby wasn't moving down/in the correct position. It helped me cope, it was controlled but I had to. I was in horrible pain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• No. Much to my surprise, I am very quiet in labor. When I was in labor with A., a relative came to watch J. (It was a homebirth.) I labored in our bedroom, which is just off the living room. The relative later told me she would have had no idea there was someone in labor in the next room (sometimes less than 10 feet from where J. was playing) were in not for the one yell I let out at crowning/ring of fire. 

I hate that sensation with a fiery passion. FWIW, it isn't painful to me. It just an incredibly uncomfortable feeling. So I yelled. Frankly, I don't care who heard. If I am pushing a baby out, I will make whatever noise I deem necessary. 
  • mm&esmm&es member
    I am generally a very quiet, polite person, and I was LOUD during both my labors.  I even yelled at my OB to "get your hands out of me!" I don't know what she was doing, but it made me uncomfortable, and I wasn't afraid to say it!  Don't even think about it.  Everyone reacts differently, and the nurses have seen everything.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • JJ_13JJ_13 member
    My doula said I "found my voice." I was insanely loud. I realize now that was not the best use of my energy, but it was what I did to deal with the pain. That said, I was induced with pitocin (long story that I won't go into) and my contractions were insanely intense for several hours with no breaks and I had tremendous back pain. I'm really, really, really glad I didn't get the epidural, but my labor was crazy. I have no idea if people in other rooms could hear me, but I can't imagine how they didn't.
  • My first birth I was very quiet and only grunted during pushing but my second labor I moaned through contractions for about 4 hours. It was the only way I could process the experience. I wasn't getting more than 30 seconds to a minute to rest and the power of each contraction was so strong that I had to release some of it. 

I actually commented to my husband around 7 cm that I was shocked at myself for being so loud and was glad there wasn't anyone else having a baby that night so they wouldn't be scared.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had big plans of relaxing and breathing through contractions, which worked until about 10 hours into my Pitocin/cytotec induced labor. At that point I was having back labor and awful contractions almost on top of each other. Mostly I was moaning pretty loud and breathing noisily. When it came time to push, I had gotten a break because I had given into the epidural, so I was back to being a little more focused. I had it turned down, because I wanted to feel what was going on to some extent, but it wasn't crazy painful. No ring of fire, but LO was 5 pounds. I did this weird loud grunt/growl thing through them.
  • I'm a FTM and my doula says that women who are loud during sex are more likely to be loud during labor. I am a screamer so I wonder how true this is....lol
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
  • I was pretty quiet in early and active labor.  I was stuck in transition for about 4hrs so after a couple hours of that, I was getting very tired and overall just tired of being in labor and I started moaning.  I didn't scream at all really--I thought I did when she crowned but when I watch video I just got a little louder.  You might not of been as vocal as you think you were :)

• For my first birth, 17 and a half years ago, I didn't make much noise. But, my mom and I had gone to a pretty good lamaze class so I knew what to expect a bit and was able to focus a bit more then than I was able to this time. I also had a nurse that was able to snap me back out of my small moment of hysteria. She got in my face and gave me simple directions that snapped me back into the room.

For my new baby who is 2 weeks old, I was doing really well about not making too much noise until the last 10 minutes. I was doing deep breathing and using a focal point pretty well. But, when she checked me at 1150, she said I was dilated to 6 and everything got crazy really fast. 9 minutes later, my big screaming baby was born. In those last 9 minutes, I grunted, I yelled, I hummed, I dropped the f-bomb, and I even shook the bed by the guard rail a couple of times. I freaked out my hubby and my teenaged daughter, but fortunately it was over with quickly so neither one ran for the hills. I think the big difference was that we took a really crappy prep class. I really should have taken the time and made the effort to take a better class or at the least read a book about techniques for natural birth- because I found myself on the bed having contractions and pushing while running through techniques I had "learned" from watching A Baby Story and a few choice popular movies on child birth, like Knocked Up, The Back Up Plan, and What to Expect While You're Expecting. My hubby agrees with me about the class having been crappy and we both wish we had taken more time together to actually prepare for the labor process.

ETA- This recent birth was a pitocin induced labor at 40 weeks 1 day (dr was appropriately concerned that baby was large). Other than the pitocin, I did not have any pain meds, although in those last 9 minutes, I was yelling for them to bring the drugs fast! "Little man" was 9 pounds 13 ounces, and 23 inches long. Pitocin was started at 730 am and little man was born at 1159am, so it was a relatively short labor, which got really intense really fast at the end!

• I had similar experience, pretty vocal. Apologized at one point, and the nurse said she's heard much worse. Even kept saying 'Jiminy Cricket!' After the bad ones. I guess I didn't want to be so negative w a curse but had to say something. Lol!

What I learned helped was the low gutteral moaning. It relaxes the pelvis. Try it! You can feel the connection!
    That helped a lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"