Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

Honey Do list

Figured I would change it up a bit. The wife's shower is in two weeks and all her friends are coming down so I have quite the honey do list. New ceiling fans, the crib and babies room setup. New lighting, cleaning out the hot tub etc. Anyone else have a list to share?

Re: Honey Do list

• Options
    I read this as you have a need for a wide variety of melons.

• Options

Well I do like melons...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageKentuckyboy76:

Well I do like melons...

Ba-zing!

My list consists of...

Kill weeds

Watch them grow back the following day

Kill weeds again

Mow lawn

Rinse and repeat until it gets too cold for the weeds to grow...sometime in October. 

• Options
    PrimePrime member
    My mother-in-law just moved out here and she is going to be helping around the house so my honey do list has shrunk.  My stuff is generally outdoors at this point.  All kinds of landscaping to be done.

• Options
    imagepolooo26:

Story of my life. At least our yard is starting to look better than a lot of neighbors, but there are plenty of houses that only have nice green grass and that makes my jealous. Oh, and my wife usually does a lot with the weeds during the day. I probably shouldn't take much credit.

There's a guy down the street from me that manicures his lawn.  I've seen him lying on his grass with a pair of hand shears, creating a curved edge to his lawn.  You know you're an adult when you get jealous of grass.

My neighbors all use Tru-Green so while their lawns are flawless (Read: No Dandelions), I'm out there every day with a bottle of Ortho just trying to stem the yellow tide.

• Options
    PrimePrime member
    I believe its a lawn care service.

• Options
    imagepolooo26:
    imagefutant462:
    imagepolooo26:

Story of my life. At least our yard is starting to look better than a lot of neighbors, but there are plenty of houses that only have nice green grass and that makes my jealous. Oh, and my wife usually does a lot with the weeds during the day. I probably shouldn't take much credit.

There's a guy down the street from me that manicures his lawn.  I've seen him lying on his grass with a pair of hand shears, creating a curved edge to his lawn.  You know you're an adult when you get jealous of grass.

My neighbors all use Tru-Green so while their lawns are flawless (Read: No Dandelions), I'm out there every day with a bottle of Ortho just trying to stem the yellow tide.

I'll have to look Tru-green up. Or you could tell me about it. Why don't you use Tru-green if it's working for your neighbors?

It is a lawn care service.  A van stops by and sprays your lawn with chemicals.  Your yard stays greener longer and it is highly effective against dandelions and crabgrass.  My wife doesn't like the idea of all those chemicals in the lawn and leaching into ground water.  Plus we just can't afford it.  Their plans start at nearly $200/year.

• Options
    imagepolooo26:

Thanks for the clarification. That's something to keep in mind. You could rationalize the cost by saying you won't have to buy anymore Ortho. Then you could research if the chemicals actually do cause any harm. It may not be enough to matter.

I really want to get into a neighborhood where everyone takes care of their grass. And then I'll just do whatever the neighbors do.

Honestly I don't like the idea of spraying pesticides all over my lawn that could get into ground water and affect local wildlife.  I'm not some crazy environmentalist but I don't like the idea of carcinogens in the chemicals being used on the grass that my son will be playing on.  I'm starting to become the stereotypical "concerned parent."

• Options

When I was doing research into fertilizer options during the winter, I came across this website:

https://www.refusetousechemlawn.org/report

The dangers exist because of the types of carcinogens and harmful chemicals in their product combined with the sheer amount they use on your lawn multiple times a year.  It's way more extreme than just applying a couple bags of Scott's Weed n Feed on your lawn or spot treating dandelions with Ortho.

Knowing that I plan on playing outside a lot with my son, I don't feel that having the greenest lawn in the neighborhood is worth taking the chance that the chemicals may be detrimental to his health, or the health of local wildlife.

• Options
    WulfgarWulfgar member

We don't have the cash to do a lot of the fixing up that we need to do.  We also don't want to go into further debt to do the fixes since they don't effect the use of the house.

As for my lawn, I mow it the least in my neighborhood and have some weeds but since I keep the grass taller it helps keep the weeds down.  I usually stop mowing my lawn sometime around the end of June or early July and don't mow again until we get enough rain towards the end of August this helps to keep it greener a lot longer and only places that get a lot of sun does it go brown.  I have been doing this for about 5 years.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"