Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding in public

On facebook, I shared an awesome picture of a woman dressed up as Wonder Woman nursing her baby with no cover. There honestly was not much to see as far as her breasts go.

My husband's cousin saw it, and is now starting a huge debate with me over covering up in public while breastfeeding. I don't think I should have to, while she says every mother should. Her reasons are that there are men who are uncomfortable and stare at the women.

Anyway, do you agree that women do not need to cover up while nursing in public? Why or why not? What would you say to someone that have these excuses for covering up?

1. "There are men who are very uncomfortable or pervy, and they would look at your breasts with 'hungry eyes'."

2. "You need to be modest" 

3. "Go in the bathroom/Mother's room to nurse your baby" 

Any other negative comments that you have a great reply to? Obviously, I'm for not having to cover up, but I'm too chicken to not cover up. I'm working on being braver though lol.

ETA: Another one of DH's cousins has started up bashing me for agreeing with NIP. These two girls are actually Mormon, and they both are very snooty about everything Mormon (from being modest to why Mormonism is the only way to go). I'm getting baptized in June as a Mormon, but I'm not going to cover up while nursing just to make someone else comfortable.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breastfeeding in public

• We used a cover or bottled bm for the first month while we worked out the kinks, I have big boobs so when he was little a lot would show I would simply lay a burp cloth on my boob or use my hand. By the time he was 3 months the cover gave me more attention as he would lift and giggle and flash me to the world so no cover was a better choice.

I haven't had many comments but had a few people avoid me or look a little uncomfortable while I fed in public but otherwise all good to be honest I see people show more boob when dressed than when I feed a baby. But also on the flip side I have had people come over to talk to me while breastfeeding to see the baby I think it's because they know I can't go anywhere lol. I had one Italian guy (Italians are huge family people) tell me I am doing an awesome job and that I should be a proud mother as kids are a blessing he made my day and I keep that comment for whenever I feel "shy" feeding in public

Now however I get the whole "your still breastfeeding, got to end that soon" comments as my son is 2 next month. But I no longer NIP unless he really needs it. It's simply for naps and bedtime. 

In short stick to your plan and your beliefs don't cover up because someone tells you too
  • Boobs are for food. If someone's being pervy, that's between him and God. If it doesn't bother you, I don't see what the big deal is.

As for being modest, I agree that a lot of women show a lot more skin fully clothed than feeding a baby.  

TBH, while I fully support NIP (cover or no cover), I personally prefer to cover. But that's just me.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I will be covered
  • PhoopyPhoopy member
    imageRunaway22:

Boobs are for food. If someone's being pervy, that's between him and God. If it doesn't bother you, I don't see what the big deal is.

As for being modest, I agree that a lot of women show a lot more skin fully clothed than feeding a baby.  

TBH, while I fully support NIP (cover or no cover), I personally prefer to cover. But that's just me.  

All of this. Exactly. 

• jb2rnjb2rn member

I have done both. My husband is in the military, and if I was on base, I used a cover, just in case I saw his boss or colleague. Just my preference.

Otherwise, I used a cover when he was little and was cold, outside, etc, but as he got older, he just tugged at it so I stopped. I did use a scarf, my coat, etc, if needed.

I have truly BF everywhere I think - on a train from Germany (where we live) to Paris with a nursing 14 month old, at the mall, airplanes, etc. No funny looks here in Europe, but I know in the states people can be weird.

And I never, ever would or did feed my baby in a bathroom. That is disgusting.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• blush64blush64 member
    imagejb2rn:

And I never, ever would or did feed my baby in a bathroom. That is disgusting.

Well, I have and there wasn't really a choice. It was not what I would choose to do if there had been anywhere else to go. (a car, bench, seat of any sort or even the grass outside had it not been below freezing) I could not feed him standing up. I don't think a woman should have to use a restroom to feed their baby but you sound judgmental with this. How great for you that you would never, ever, consider using a restroom because it's disgusting but my baby did get fed. My son is now 17 and he hasn't suffered from it. (each of my sons nursed until they were just past 2)

1. "There are men who are very uncomfortable or pervy, and they would look at your breasts with 'hungry eyes'."

1. Those men are still going to stare at your breasts. You can cover everything completely and men like that will stare. Plus, that's his issue. 

2. "You need to be modest" 

2. It's quite possible to be modest and nurse in public uncovered but the important thing is to feed the baby. Breastfeeding is a normal, natural thing to do. Some women show off almost as much in regular clothes, is anyone going to tell them to cover up?

3. "Go in the bathroom/Mother's room to nurse your baby" 

3. Trust me, from personal experience, it's not comfortable to nurse in a bathroom. Would anyone else like to go eat in a restroom? You shouldn't have to remove yourself from everyone and every situation to nurse. Babies eating from a bottle don't have to leave the room. 

• imageRunaway22:

Boobs are for food. If someone's being pervy, that's between him and God. If it doesn't bother you, I don't see what the big deal is.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Boobs are for food.  If men are staring, then your cousin should have a problem with them being perverts, not with you.

Personally, I use a cover or duck into a fitting room or secluded corner.  But that's just because I'm very modest.  A woman nursing her child is a very beautiful thing that should be applauded.  Your cousin sounds ignorant.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imageYellowLilies:

I nursed In public with my first two.  I never used a cover.  I was discreet.  I didn't care what others thought.  No one ever said anything though I'm sure it made so,e people uncomfortable.  I would nip with my newborn but he refuses to latch soi am ep'ing.

i figure the only way society will become more open and accepting to nursing in public is to see it more often. 

I agree with this 100%.  FTR, I don't know of anyone personally who wants everyone to see their boobs while breastfeeding.  Most moms want to be as discreet as possible for their own sake.  I stopped using a cover once DS was good at latching on and it didn't take twenty minutes.  I never once received a comment.  I have nursed at work conferences, on airplanes, at the mall, etc.

When I was 8 and went to a museum, there were statues and pictures of exposed breasts.  I admit I was squeamish.  However, I grew up and realized boobs are no big deal and are a basic part of human anatomy.  Today I wouldn't even flinch if they were exposed on a woman who wasn't breastfeeding.  It is just a body part. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If women don't breastfeed in public, society will never change and will never learn to be accepting of it.  I used to use a cover, partially because I was worried about people seeing my boobs and partially because I was worried about what people would think, but now that DD is almost 7 months old, I never use a cover anymore.  When I do try to use a cover, she tries to bat it out of her face cause it bothers her.  She likes to be able to look around.  I've realized that the cover should be for me, not for other people and frankly I don't care what other people think.  I always wear a nursing tank top under a regular shirt, so I can pull the shirt up and the tank top down to pull out my boob, and people probably can't see much of anything since the baby's head is in the way, and as soon as she unlatches, I cover up again.

I've nursed in lots of places... restaurants, coffee shops, airplanes, airports, stores, outside in a playground, etc. and I've never gotten strange comments from people.  There was one drunk man once who made obscene gestures at me while I was nursing but I just shrugged it off as him being a pervert and didn't really let it get to me.  

I've also thought of what I would say to someone if I did get a strange comment... I think in a restaurant if someone asked me to cover up while feeding my baby, I would say something like, "Well if you'll cover your head with a blanket while you eat, then I'll cover her head too!"  or if someone asked me to go somewhere private to feed her, I might ask them to go eat their meal in the bathroom.  Where, when and how I choose to feed my baby is none of their business.

I also don't agree that women should have to go somewhere private to feed their babies--eating in our society is a very social activity.  People go out for coffee, go out to breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner.  People like to be around others when they're eating and I don't think babies should be required to go be by themselves when they're eating either.  

• If my areola wasn't so big I might consider not covering but I would be showing too much.
  • I refuse to partake in stupid debates.  I shouldn't have to explain WHY it is FINE for a woman to breastfeed *GASP* in public.  

Women HAVE to feed their babies, no matter where they are.  I'm so FUC**** sick of this argument. 

This argument is BULLSH**.  Women have the legal right to feed their babies in most states WITHOUT having to cover up.  So EFF everyone else and feed your babies ladies, without a cover if you so choose.  People need to GROW THE EFF UP.

• imageJandACoffee:
    I'm sure I'll get a lot of crap for this, but I think women should use a cover when breastfeeding or at least be very discreet (not to the point of breastfeeding in the bathroom unless like PP stated there is no other possibility because that is just not a good place to feed by any means...) I know breasts are for food. That is what they are made for. BUT, in the society we live in they are associated with a whole lot more than that and while it would be great if that would change. Its not likely to anytime soon. My sister has EBFed all three of her kids. I EBF my 4 1/2 month old. All my friends that I can think of EBFed, my cousins have all EBFed, and ya know what? I have never seen any of their boobs. I honestly don't ever remember seeing a baby being bottlefed in my family growing up, but everyone just used a cover or left the room for a few minutes (I mean really, DD almost never takes longer than 5-10 minutes anymore). Maybe it is just the people I'm around and the way we grew up, but we just all use a cover and don't think anything of it. And personally, I would feel uncomfortable if someone was breastfeeding without one in front of me. And I would feel uncomfortable with my dad, sister, mom, cousins, friends, friends' husbands, etc... seeing my boobs! Even if they are for food. Some lady was wandering around Wal-Mart the other day when I was there with a kid breastfeeding him while just wandering around and I'll tell you, I had no interest in seeing that while trying to pick out produce.Especially since she wasn't using a nursing tank or anything so she was just wandering with her shirt up around her neck and covering one boob. Just weird.  Although to be honest, I saw a woman bottlefeeding her young baby laying down in the seat part of the cart a few days after that and did an Eww... then also because I just see Wal-Mart as one of the most germ-ridden places anywhere and wouldn't want to feed my child there by any method any more than I would want to in the restroom, but that is just my issue with Wal-Mart... Now, if you don't have a cover, and your baby needs to be fed, then you feed them, but at least go to the least public place possible and cover up as much as possible... I know many of you think that you shouldn't have to, but I think there is something to be said for respecting other people's comfort levels also. And that is just my unpopular opinion...

How about NO and SCREW YOU? Grow up.  

• Moms should do whatever they are comfortable with.

Just like women should dress however modestly or immodestly they are comfortable with in the rest of their lives. If another woman wants to wear a belly-baring shirt, she can. If someone wants to wear a hijab and cover her hair, she should. Doesn't mean I should.

I do what I want. You do what you want. She does what she wants. We are the bosses of our own darn bodies and I won't have it any other way. No one has ever said anything negative to me, and a few people have said positive things to me (or said them to people who later said them to me - like my friend said her friend commented on my nursing my 1.5 year old at the table of the church turkey supper. She was impressed at how discreet I was and how I didn't really even pause my conversation.)

• imageJandACoffee:
    imagemexicolombiana:

How about NO and SCREW YOU? Grow up.  

I told you I was going to get crap for this and that it is my unpopular opinion :) I wouldn't say anything to anyone that did breastfeed openly in public. I do believe its your choice just like I believe its your choice to do all sorts of other things that we probably don't agree on. I just find it uncomfortable and that there are usually other options. I do find your response a little immature though... I completely respect people's opinions on this subject, but I do find that those that are extremely pro-breastfeeding everywhere in public without cover are generally a little hostile towards other opinions on the matter. I really think the issue of breastfeeding openly in public is a cultural one (hence why in some cultures you would never see this and in some cultures they don't think twice about it). Like it or not, in the United States there are thousands of different cultures even among people of similar race/ethnic background, and not everyone is going to agree with openly breastfeeding in public. Like I said, none of my family or any of my close friends would ever do it, and we don't find it restricting or offensive at all that we are expected to cover up. I'm just one of them that isn't comfortable with it. So again, my unpopular opinion. I never said anyone had to agree with me.

There are unpopular opinions and there are there opinions that border on discriminatory.  Saying that you think a mother should move to a non-public place and cover up as much as possible? That's plain discriminatory.  Would you tell a black woman to move away from other people? Would you tell a mother bottle feeding her baby to move away from other people? Same thing.  This is exactly why breastfeeding needs to be normalized.  So people like you can get over your fear of seeing a woman's breast. 

I'm glad you would keep your discriminatory opinion to yourself and NOT dare tell a mother to move to a more secluded place or cover up a bit more while they are busy trying to feed their hungry baby.   That would not end well for you. This is why laws exist that protect a woman's right to breastfeed in public without covering. 

• Nope breastfeeding is who I am.  I was born with breasts to feed my babies. My baby needs to eat. Needs to eat or she will die.  Do you realize that babies NEED to eat? And that some babies are exclusively breastfed? Some mothers can't pump.  I do appreciate that you at least would never voice your opinion.

Can you imagine a world where YOU were allowed to make the laws and women were forced to leave public areas for breastfeeding in public? A world where a woman was forced to cover up OR she would face a jail sentence or fined for feeding their hungry baby? That is the world that you would want? That is the world that would exist if your discriminatory opinion was popular opinion.  

As far as not seeing them and breasts making you uncomfortable? I have an excellent solution. Never leave your house again, because this is what you are expecting when you wish to isolate women who breastfeed in public.  Or of course, much simpler.  Look away.

And your comparisons don't work because defecating or urinating in public are not allowed, breastfeeding is. 

• I think every mother should do what is most comfortable for her and the baby. If there's a nice nursing room with good chairs and a pillow for me to use and space for DS1 to play without me worrying, I'm going there! If there isn't, I'm nursing wherever it's easiest even if its the bench at the playground or an airplane seat. I typically cover a bit just because that's how I'm comfortable but I don't go out of my way for fear of offending someones delicate eyes. There eyes are their concern and my concern is the hungry baby in my arms. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageYellowLilies:
    I nursed In public with my first two. nbsp;I never used a cover. nbsp;I was discreet. nbsp;I didn't care what others thought. nbsp;No one ever said anything though I'm sure it made so,e people uncomfortable. nbsp;I would nip with my newborn but he refuses to latch soi am ep'ing.i figure the only way society will become more open and accepting to nursing in public is to see it more often.nbsp;

I agree with this. I've never used a cover to nurse either.

I find that people who are so outspokenly negative will not listen to any argument. It's not even worth my effort anymore.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imagemexicolombiana:

Nope breastfeeding is who I am.  I was born with breasts to feed my babies. My baby needs to eat. Needs to eat or she will die.  Do you realize that babies NEED to eat? And that some babies are exclusively breastfed? Some mothers can't pump.  I do appreciate that you at least would never voice your opinion.

Can you imagine a world where YOU were allowed to make the laws and women were forced to leave public areas for breastfeeding in public? A world where a woman was forced to cover up OR she would face a jail sentence or fined for feeding their hungry baby? That is the world that you would want? That is the world that would exist if your discriminatory opinion was popular opinion.  

As far as not seeing them and breasts making you uncomfortable? I have an excellent solution. Never leave your house again, because this is what you are expecting when you wish to isolate women who breastfeed in public.  Or of course, much simpler.  Look away.

And your comparisons don't work because defecating or urinating in public are not allowed, breastfeeding is. 

Your comments have been making the most sense to me! Thank you for your responses.

Thank you to everyone else who responded as well. 

• imageJandACoffee:
    Oh and just for the record. I do EBF and DD doesn't take a bottle, so every feeding is straight from the breast and we get out almost every day in public. I've just never breastfed in public without a cover because I'm uncomfortable with it and that is my opinion and my choice. Again I'm not trying to change anyone else's opinion or behavior just because it doesn't match mine...

I'm glad you're able to cover and feed your baby.  Good for you.  I actually cover a bit too when I BF in public *GASP*. But many women can't cover, nor should they need to.  And I remember distinctly that you said you think women should MOVE to a remote spot and cover as much as possible- this is discriminatory to me.  

A woman can do whatever they want.  You keep talking about different cultures, I am a very cultured person and have traveled to many different countries and know and understand and respect different countries and cultures.  Would I breastfeed uncovered in Saudi Arabia? Nope I'd probably get arrested.  But this is AMERICA woman.  AMERICA the land of the free and the law protects women who choose to BF in public.  I know and understand you have a different opinion, but I think your opinion is dangerous.  The danger is that forcing women to leave public places and not allowing them to mingle with others while they BF will deter women from breastfeeding at all.  I know many women who are afraid to BF in public because sadly man people still can't accept the basic necessity and simplicity of a baby breastfeeding.   I'm done here I have to run to court.  

• Look PP very specifically said women should not be allowed to be seen in public while breastfeeding uncovered.  This bothers me.  I agree I shouldn't get so riled up and for that I apologize.  
  • imagemexicolombiana:

Nope breastfeeding is who I am.  I was born with breasts to feed my babies. My baby needs to eat. Needs to eat or she will die.  Do you realize that babies NEED to eat? And that some babies are exclusively breastfed? Some mothers can't pump.  I do appreciate that you at least would never voice your opinion.

I get what you're saying and mostly agree with you, but this is a bit extreme.  Your baby isn't going to die if you take an extra second to put on a cover or find a secluded spot.  I'm not saying that you should do that because I think moms who NIP cover-free are awesome, just pointing out that it's a bit dramatic. 

Breastfeeding is not who I am.  It's something wonderful I do for my kids, but it definitely doesn't define me.

I get what you're trying to say, JandA.  You're allowed to feel uncomfortable.  Not sure why you're being flamed.  It's not like you said women shouldn't be allowed to.  All you said is you think they should cover up.  I feel uncomfortable when I'm around women who are dressed provocatively because I'm a modest person.  I think they should cover up, but that doesn't mean I think they should be forced to.  Thinking something and acting on it to restrict another's rights are two different things.  Thinking something is an opinion.  Acting on it is discrimination. 

I don't feel uncomfortable around moms who NIP without a cover, not sure why.  But I can see where you're coming from.  It's just an opinion. 

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• I have the opinion that paragraphs greatly enhance an argument's readability.

I wish you would respect that, JandA.

• imagetokenhoser:

I have the opinion that paragraphs greatly enhance an argument's readability.

I wish you would respect that, JandA.

This. Holy walls of text, I didn't even bother to read them so I don't know why you judge NIP nor do I care. I'm of the school of thought, you do what you want, and I'll do what I want. I choose not to use a cover because it makes things 10X more complicated, and why should I have to anyway? If that makes you uncomfortable, your problem, not mine.

• In response to the whole "you should be discreet and cover or go somewhere else so no one sees your boobs" argument (that has happened on here nine million times), I would just like to say, here is a picture of me nursing my son without a cover when he was two months old:

I'm so sorry you guys had to see that. I know it's an obscene photo. Hopefully no one was scarred or corrupted by the sight of boob... oh wait... 

• So... I didn't read the "walls of text" as someone else put it because it made my eyes cross.  I got the gist though.

I think it's each individual's choice whether to cover or not.  It doesn't phase me either way.  I've fed in public twice so far, once in a restaurant and once in a movie theater.  I covered in the restaurant, I didn't in the theater.  

I don't cover at home at all, I figure anyone who is comfortable enough to stay long enough that he needs to be fed is comfortable enough to see me feed him.

It irritates me that someone would try to enforce their opinion on others.  If YOU feel the need to cover, by all means do so.  Don't be prudish and try and enforce your opinions on others.   (o) (o)

• I support a mother's right to choose how she feeds her baby and what is comfortable for her whether that is bottle or breast, covered or uncovered.

I NIP fairly frequently and most of the time use a cover because I am more comfortable that way. That being said, I will also go coverless if I feel like it or need to for some reason.

That being said I actually find I get less looks and noticed less without a cover.

It is not my problem if someone wants to look or not look. I am feeding my baby. It is no different to me than giving a bottle or even solid foods in public.
  • The beach must just be hell for you, JanACoffee. And I assume you never go to a bar!

I see boobs. Just not on breastfeeding women, generally. I work on a university campus and I see plenty of skin... with no babies in sight. 

• imageJandACoffee:
    imagegreeneyed_bride:

In response to the whole "you should be discreet and cover or go somewhere else so no one sees your boobs" argument (that has happened on here nine million times), I would just like to say, here is a picture of me nursing my son without a cover when he was two months old:

I'm so sorry you guys had to see that. I know it's an obscene photo. Hopefully no one was scarred or corrupted by the sight of boob... oh wait... 

By the way, this picture in my opinion is discreet... I have absolutely no problem with this at all. I can't see your boob so I'm perfectly happy. 

That was my point, but apparently the sarcasm didn't work out. My point is that you see less boob when a woman breastfeeds than you do when you walk by Victoria's Secret, or when a woman wears a low cut top, or if you go to a swimming pool. I've seen a lot of women breastfeed, and none of them have ever whipped out their boob and then left it hanging there in plain sight for 45 minutes while they prepare to latch their baby on. That picture of me breastfeeding? That's what most women look like when they're nursing in public.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"