C-sections

Spinal Block Anxiety

I'm feeling queasy about the spinal I will have to get, can anyone reassure me that it won't be completely agonizing and painful? I'm thinking that at that point in my pregnancy it won't be bothering me as much and I will be just looking forward to having the baby.

Thanks!

Emily

Re: Spinal Block Anxiety

• I was scared of it too but wound up having an emergency c-section, so I didn't have time to panic the day of.  Honestly, it was so easy.  A little pressure, a quick stick, and then my legs felt warm and fuzzy.  Within a couple of minutes, I was numb.  I didn't wind up with any weird side effects/spinal headaches.  Easy peasy :)
    imageimage
    Me: 35 DH: 30 TTC since 1/2010 DX: 6/15/2011: MFI IVF with ICSI

IVF #1: Sept 2011: Beta 10/10- BFP!! 1st u/s 10/31/11 1 blighted ovum, 1 embryo 2nd u/s 11/14/11 stopped growing, no h/b D/C 11/17/11

IVF #2: FET 5/4/12 : Beta 5/16/12 BFN

IVF #3: ET 7/6/12 : 7/18 Beta #1 BFP at 246, 7/20 Beta #2 at 713, 7/27 Beta #3 at 9068. 1st u/s 8/7 with one lovely hb.
    Mabel is here! 2/17/13!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I have to say, the spinal block was no joy ride for me.  I had a section with my first, and I will be having another with this one.  I can tell you it does go very quickly, and it's not that bad!  Once the meds are in, you will have no clue what's going on from the waist down.  Keep in mind......You do NOT want to feel what they are doing.  SO, a pinch and a poke and you are down....  It's really not any worse than a nurse searching for a vein for the iv.  Try not to stress.  It's all going to happen quickly. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • CougFanCougFan member
    This was the part I was most nervous for too. Tell them and the nurses will keep conversation going as a distraction. It is a hard, dull pain...not like the bee sting I was expecting. And it goes away quick. You'll be fine!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • EmbilEmbil member
    Thanks for all the tips, I do feel better! It's the idea of a needle going into the spine that gets me, but it sounds like it will happen quickly.
  • Not that bad.  I was hoping they'd allow me to lean on DH (like they did when I had my epidural with my vaginal birth) but I was leaning on a nurse.  It was over and done in a couple of minutes and like the first poster, I had no negative SE's and no headaches that some get.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • salt78salt78 member
    They had to place my epidural twice and it wasn't even all that bad. The hardest part was sitting still.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I didn't have time to think about mine since it was an emergency but I don't remember it being bad. The worst part was the after affect I was shivering and it took a whole to stop. I had no clue that could happen so it made me really nervous.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tig594tig594 member

I was nervous about it, Honestly, it wasn't that bad and I got poked twice because there was a student doing it.  What was worse was trying not to toss my cookies because of the meds.  It sucks knowing you're going to hurl and being stuck on the OR table not being able to jump up and run for the toilet. 

• I was terrified of this!! But it really wasn't bad at all! The IV was worse for me. You'll be ok =] 

• It really isn't bad at all.
  • I honestly don't even remember it.

• To be honest them putting in IV hurt worse than having the spinal block done at least in my opinion
  • imagehugmonkey:
    I was scared of it too but wound up having an emergency csection, so I didn't have time to panic the day of.nbsp; Honestly, it was so easy.nbsp; A little pressure, a quick stick, and then my legs felt warm and fuzzy.nbsp; Within a couple of minutes, I was numb.nbsp; I didn't wind up with any weird side effects/spinal headaches.nbsp; Easy peasy :

Same here, but i didnt have time to be scared, since it wasn't planned.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• They had to search pretty hard for the right spot on my because of the way my spine is. After that the worse part was the morphine itch and the nausea I get no matter how I deliver. My incision doesn't even hurt that bad and its a week and a half post surgery for me. As long as you have a good hospital and good doctors you should do fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"