February 2012 Moms

anyone else still nursing?

So, I don't offer DD to nurse anymore... she goes to bed without it and is sleeping through the night (FINALLY! YAY!)  But, once a day or so, she will climb on me, pull at my shirt and freak out to nurse.  I'm at the stage where I know DH thinks it's weird to nurse and I'm kinda ready to be done.  Anyone else in a similar situation? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: anyone else still nursing?

• jja0812jja0812 member
    Still nursing 3x a day here. My SIL has commented that tugging at my shirt means he is too old for it. We just rolled our eyes. She has no kids, and while that doesn't mean she can't have an opinion, you definitely won't see me taking her advice on this matter.

If you and your husband are ready to be done, that is up to you to decide. I wouldn't let him push you into it though if you aren't ready to stop.
  • We just stopped on Sunday.  DD really only wanted to nurse once a day, but she would do it for a few seconds pop off get distracted, come back, rinse and repeat.  I was getting frustrated so Sunday I didn't nurse her.  She pulled at my shirt a few times this week, but I distracted her with patty cake, the wheels on the bus, or a sippy cup.  So far no tears, so I guess she was just ready.  GL, I know weaning can be very emotional and stressful.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm still nursing some and at nights lately since he is getting molars and his sleep has gone to helll.  He just started pulling on my shirt within the last few days/week tops.  I know H says he is too big, but I don't want to force him to wean during teething.  He usually only wants to nurse before bed and now sometimes when he wakes at night but usually he is okay with just getting his paci.  I will do more to wean him over the next couple of weeks probably but it doesn't bother me really.  
  • n8swifen8swife member
    We're still nursing 2-3 times a day. We just recently dropped the before bed session. I'd like to be done but Asher still demands it in the morning and before nap.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Still nursing 4x a day. I could easily make it 3 but why bother when this is working for us. I don't mind and she gets some awesome breastmilk so it's a win-win in my book. I'm not ready to be done, and I have no idea if she is or not. She nurses so she must be into it at least somewhat, right? :) She has never in her life "asked" to nurse as far as I can tell, other than maybe crying as a newborn. Some days a couple of the sessions are really really quick, probably 2 minutes or so of actual nursing total but it's still worth it to me right now. Due to them getting that short though, I almost cut it to 3 sessions a few days ago but I've decided to keep with the 4 sessions until 15 months which was my original gameplan. I will just deal with super short sessions if that's what it means to keep 4 around, it's not that big of a deal to me. I would like to move her to morning and evening only at 18 months, and then IDK after that but I would like to be done once she's 2. FWIW, nursing is almost her sole source of liquid throughout the day, she drinks next to nothing from her sippy on an average day. 

ETA- DH doesn't seem to care one way or the other if I nurse or not.

• We quit a week after Seth turned 1. He was only nursing once a day and was very distracted anyway. I was really just doing it because I wanted to beat some kind of record in my mind. Pin a medal upon my chest.

We quit so my milk would dry up and I could get a mammogram for a lump in my breast. But now I am pregnant so no mammogram. Oh well. The ultrasounds are coming back as non cancerous anyway. 

• suiternsuitern member
    We are also still nursing.  We nurse 2-3 times per day, but are slowly dropping sessions.  I plan to wean him over the next few months since he doesn't seem too terribly attached any longer.  For the last week we have been doing the first thing in the morning and before bed.  He seems attached to the morning one, but today he popped off and asked for a banana instead. So perhaps we will be done sooner than I think.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• We are still nursing 2-3 times a day. I want to be done, but Connor is being so stubborn about it. DH does bedtime routine so now he is weaned from nursing before bed. Its usually just in the morning and right when I get home from work, when DH isn't around to distract him. I try and offer anything else but my kid is determined to keep nursing :( 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Cordelia is still nursing.  I am ready to be done though.  I nursed my DS until he was 16 months and we weaned then because I felt done then as well.  Trying to wean her slowly now....but she has a cold and I feel bad when she isn't eating much food.  So hope that we wean soon.
  • Natalie is still nursing! Several times a day, but not nearly as often as she did before solids ;)

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • On work days its 3times a day. On my days off its 4 or more. My h thinks she needs to wean soon but we aren't ready.
  • Glad to hear other moms are still nursing!  It doesn't bother me to continue to do so,  but I think H's opinion of it is definitely influencing me.  Thanks for the input!
  • We still nurse twice a day- first thing in the morning, and at bedtime. He definitely still asks for it. I'm fine with this schedule as long as he wants to keep going.
  • Traci09Traci09 member

imagelaura.noel:
    We still nurse twice a day- first thing in the morning, and at bedtime. He definitely still asks for it. I'm fine with this schedule as long as he wants to keep going.

This is us, exactly.  He's recently mastered the "milk" sign, so now he asks by doing the sign, which is super cute.  Occasionally he will ask during the day on the weekend, and we'll nurse then too.  Not sure when we'll wean, but DH and I are talking about doing IVF again this fall, so it would have to be before that.

TTC #1 since 4/09 w/ MFI
    IVF #1, 7/10: Cancelled due to dominant follicle; IVF #2, 9/10: c/p; FET #1, 11/10: c/p; IVF #3, 4/11: BFN; FET #2, 6/11: BFP! Beta #1 = 118 (11dp2dt), Beta #2 = 1975 (16dp2dt)
    DS born 2/17/12

TTC #2
    IVF #4, 11/13: BFN; IVF #5, 3/14: BFP! Beta #1 = 59 (11dp2dt), Beta #2 = 406 (15dp2dt)
    EDD 12/19/14

BabyFruit Ticker

• We're still nursing 3-4 times a day and not ready to stop. My minimum goal is 2, so that's what I'm trying for. 

It doesn't matter if your husband thinks it's "weird", this is about you and your LO. If you're ready to stop, that's fine, but don't let him convince you that yu are if you aren't.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker someecards.com - Your personal anecdotal evidence is so much more relevant than this legitimate scientific study.
  • Still nursing three times a day here! I'm letting my daughter self wean.
  • Whoops! Didn't mean to post yet. She actually signs for it. I don't know when she will wean herself, and I am okay with it right now. It is still working for us, and I am happy with it. 
  • Yesterday was 2 weeks since we weaned completely.. I miss the cuddles, but overall happy to be done.

• Yes.. Like 5-6 times a day. I'm in no rush to stop.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"