Breastfeeding

Nipple shield

My DD nursed with the nipple shield exclusively for the first 7 weeks. Yesterday I randomly tried nursing her without it and she latched right on! I was very excited. We haven't used it again since. However, since we stopped using it she doesn't seem to be getting as full and is wanting to nurse more often. She also isn't sleeping as well. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Should I start using the shield again? Will this work itself out soon? I'm just not sure what to do an an getting very discouraged. Any advice is welcomed.

Re: Nipple shield

• As someone who can't get LO off the shield, I say if you got off it, never bring it back! The rest may be coincidence. Technically babies should get more milk without the shield. I am trying hard to get away from it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry no advice but I am in the same. boat at you and I am so grateful you posted this question! Thanks! I thought it was great since she started to latch but it seems she is getting less : I put the shield back on, she ate and passed out :
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • When I transitioned off the shield, my LC encouraged me to 'support the tissue' (hold my boob just above the nipple and gently compress... Like a gentler version of the nipple sandwich you make when latching.  She said this was because with the shield, babies really only need to suck the milk out.... They don't have to work as hard at compressing and holding the breast as well - so there is a bit of new learning that needs to happen for our LO's.

congrats on making it off the shield!!

My LC also said to throw it away once y have had success off it, because women often undermine themselves with their BFing insecurities/challenges and go back to using it.

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • CAA0508CAA0508 member
    imageLulalala:
    When I transitioned off the shield, my LC encouraged me to 'support the tissue' hold my boob just above the nipple and gently compress... Like a gentler version of the nipple sandwich you make when latching. nbsp;She said this was because with the shield, babies really only need to suck the milk out.... They don't have to work as hard at compressing and holding the breast as well so there is a bit of new learning that needs to happen for our LO's. nbsp;congrats on making it off the shield!! nbsp;My LC also said to throw it away once y have had success off it, because women often undermine themselves with their BFing insecurities/challenges and go back to using it.

Thank you! This is really helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"