Breastfeeding

Fenugreek: does it really work?

So my 3 month old has been EBF since birth. My husband is deployed (about to be home) so I haven't worried about birth control until now. I started on a mini pill a couple weeks ago (and was assured it was safe for baby and breast milk supply) but seem to have a decrease in supply. I'm sure the best choice would be to not take the pill and use condoms or something else, but two problems- neither of us like condoms and I really don't want to get pregnant before LO is about 3 or 4 since I had a rough pregnancy and delivery. So now I'm looking for a way to boost my supply and still be able to take the mini pill. Does anyone have experience with fenugreek? I keep reading that can work wonders but haven't gotten a first hand account. Any other milk booster suggestions are welcome too! Thanks in advance :) 

Re: Fenugreek: does it really work?

• eav2ceav2c member
    I do think it works. However, I could not stand the smell from my urine. It had me nauseated. Water, eating healthy and regularly, along with lactation cookies are my go to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've been using a tea from https://www.breastfeedingherbs.com and it has increased my production a lot. Like several ounces per pumping. Have you asked a doctor or lactation consultant if herbs will work when your milk supply drops due to the birth control pill? I would check first.
  • Loading the player...
  • ObLaDiObLaDi member
    I've been taking it for about a month and honestly, I think it makes marginal if any difference. Some women certainly see a meaningful change, though, so it's worth a shot.

I just ordered domperidone and am keeping my fingers crossed it helps a bit more.

FWIW, my supply seemed to dip around three months also, which did not coincide with a change in birth control for me. The mini pill may be unrelated.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks all for the insight! I think I'll try it. Maybe do the lactation cookies too. I forgot about those! 
  • I used to take fenugreek, and it really did work for me! It will lower blood pressure and/or sugar, so it's not the best thing if you're diabetic or have blood sugar or pressure problems.

ETA: Also, as far as the smell goes, I smelled like maple syrup, which was okay I guess. I'd rather have a lot of milk and smell like maple syrup than low milk supply. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"