April 2013 Moms

Burping

Is it necessary/important to burp a breast fed baby? My LO hardly ever burps and trying just wakes her up.... The LC I saw which we know was not a good one said it isn't necessary to burp a breast fed baby... Thoughts?
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Burping

• If I skip the burping then she cries and often chucks. Even with burping she's a windy kid, I'd hate to imagine if I skipped it all together!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • Not burping wouldn't even be a consideration for me, he'd spit up for sure if I didn't.
    CafeMom Tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it depends on your baby. Mine used to nurse without getting a lot of air and didn't need to burp, but now she squirms and swallows a ton of air, so burping is critical (and often very noisy!).
    Anniversary  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I burp him after each side, but only get a burp occasionally. For night feedings, I just sit him up with one hand on his back and one holding his chin. I don't part his back, just the position helps him burp but keeps him sleepy.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The LC we saw told us not to expect many burps when I asked about her lack of them. DD almost never burps, and I don't think she has ever burped when I've actually tried burping her. So now I don't even try. Looks like it definitely varies by baby though!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

BFP #1: 5/10/12; 5/22/12: pregnancy deemed not viable (probably CP)
    BFP #2: 8/2/12; Due date: 4/14/13, DD born 4/5/2013
    BFP #3: 11/2/14, Due date: 7/7/15
  • I can't for the life of me ever get my LO to burp..... And I get frustrated because she spits up a lot, but I am pretty convinced that's from over eating and not lack of burping. My LO is also breast fed and my understanding is also that breast fed babies won't burp as much!

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• I breastfeed as well and often have a hard time burping my son. However, I have noticed that sometimes when I don't burp him, he has a tendency to spit up, so I always try. I have heard that breastfeed babies really don't need to burp nearly as frequently as bottle fed babies, so if your baby seems happy and comfortable without burping, I wouldn't worry about it. If baby starts fussing later, you can burp then. 
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I always try to burp her, but if she doesn't burp after a few minutes I don't sweat it. I do find that she burps a lot more after getting a bottle than when breastfed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"