February 2013 Moms

Anyone introducing cereal yet?

I know most of you still have rather young babes, but for those of us who went early and are closer to that 4 month mark, has anyone introduced cereal? Little Miss will be 4 months next week and I gave her a couple samples of single grain cereal after a couple of her bottles over the weekend. I watered it down really well so it was soupy.  She seemed to do pretty well with it eating and temperament wise (no gas pains or seem uncomfortable). I did notice she has had a couple more dirty diapers than usual and her gas and bm has smelled AWFUL!!! Her last BM was dark brown and a little thicker than usual. Is this normal reaction to cereal or do I need to stop immediately? FTM and I don't want to hurt her belly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone introducing cereal yet?

• I will be staring oatmeal around 6 months, which is what I did with my daughter. Maybe even later this time since it always means carrying around more junk. I don't think it changed DD's poop much either. Not until she was eating more of it.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jas9210jas9210 member
    I started DS on cereal around 5 months. I don't recall his poop changing at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't/don't plan on anything until 6+ months when/if he shows interest in it.
    Pregnancy Ticker image
  • I won't do any solids until 6 months. I will probably start with oatmeal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
  • I am going to try and hold off until 6 months before introducing cereal, but DS is eying my food up, so I am not sure if we will make it that long.  I haven't decided what type to start with, dd didnt do well with oatmeal, it really constipated her.  I don't care for rice cereal, so we shall see.  
  • Waiting until at least 6 months for solids, and will not be doing cereal at all.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Will wait until 6 or 7 months also, as recommended, and will probably skip the cereal this time.  I did cereal with DS1, but it really doesn't add much nutrition-wise.  I might do oatmeal though because DS1 was allergic, so it was probably good we did it by itself...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • You ladies are making my bad mommy anxiety even worse. Sad She is so little and I feel she is not getting enough BM from me. She's not fussy or acting like she wants more than what I can give her (I know that's a good sign). But she is still so tiny from coming early and I want her to be as healthy as possible. Our pedi keeps saying that preemies do catch up growing but Little Miss isn't doing it. She's keeps rockin' her below the charts curve. I know maintaining her curve is good and all; I am just a worried momma and I feel like I need to do something to catch her up. UGH...... ok crazy momma vent over Sad
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecal031686:
    You ladies are making my bad mommy anxiety even worse. Sad She is so little and I feel she is not getting enough BM from me. She's not fussy or acting like she wants more than what I can give her (I know that's a good sign). But she is still so tiny from coming early and I want her to be as healthy as possible. Our pedi keeps saying that preemies do catch up growing but Little Miss isn't doing it. She's keeps rockin' her below the charts curve. I know maintaining her curve is good and all; I am just a worried momma and I feel like I need to do something to catch her up. UGH...... ok crazy momma vent over Sad

Don't worry hun. My DD wasn't preemie but she was super tiny...in the 8-11 percentile range up until her 2 year check up which she jumped up to the 50 percentile and is now (at almost 3 years) at 90 percentile for height (still super skinny though). She had colic REALLY bad and I started her at 1 month with rice cereal in her night bottle of BM (per the pedi's advice) then thickened it into an actual "meal" at 4 months and she did really well. No issues and we started her on squash at 5.5 months. Many moms are choosing to hold off until 6 months with first foods but many (like me) still choose to do it early. Just remember if your concerned about weight gain, rice cereal isn't going to do it since its just a filler and has little to no nutritional value. Oatmeal is far better if your after weight gain. Just keep a close eye on your LO and she shows signs of discomfort, has any kind of reaction, or seems to be taking in less BM than usual after starting the rice, STOP. You want her to still be eating the same amount of BM along with whatever else you start them on. :)

• imagecal031686:
    I know most of you still have rather young babes, but for those of us who went early and are closer to that 4 month mark, has anyone introduced cereal? Little Miss will be 4 months next week and I gave her a couple samples of single grain cereal after a couple of her bottles over the weekend. I watered it down really well so it was soupy.nbsp; She seemed to do pretty well with it eating and temperament wise no gas pains or seem uncomfortable. I did notice she has had a couple more dirty diapers than usual and her gas and bm has smelled AWFUL!!! Her last BM was dark brown and a little thicker than usual. Is this normal reaction to cereal or do I need to stop immediately? FTM and I don't want to hurt her belly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Cereal has absolutely no nutritional value, so if you're worried about weight gain, it's not going to help and will only fill her up with empty calories. I dont know if you EBF or not, but you'd be better off supplementing with formula if you feel like she's not getting enough from you, since she's so little. And because she's a preemie, her belly might not be developed enough to even be able to handle solids, so I'd wait even longer to start them. Solids do absolutely change the poop, so that's normal. I EBF and won't be starting solids until after six months. We'll also be skipping cereal because there is no value to it. We'll start with thinned out avocado or sweet potatoes.

I wouldn't feed your DD solids right now and would call your pediatrician and discuss your concerns and see what the recommendation is. Like PP said, some babies are just smaller and as long as they're growing on their own curve, having enough wet diapers and meeting milestones, they're fine. My first DD was also in the 5 or so until she was almost 3.
  • imageSagen:
    There is more calories in BM than in cereal, the low calorie cereal will replace some of the more calorie BM, so personally I would stop cereal it if you are worried about weight gain. As long as she is having 4-5 wet diapers, meeting milestones, seems happy I wouldn't worry. Some people are small some are big, same goes for babies. Hang in there, and don't feel worried if she seems happy!

This!  If you have some weight gain worries, focus on the BM, not cereal.  Good luck!  You're doing great!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"