February 2013 Moms
Options

Update to Rash from Heck! and eczema question

I wrote last week regarding a horrible rash my son developed seemingly over night on his booty. Skin peeled away, red, weeping sores and me being frantic to figure out what happened. I bought cloth diapers which caused him heat rash so we went back to his Kirkland disposables (which originally I thought was the cause of the rash that looked more like chemical burns). The first Dr. that saw him had no idea what kind of rash it was or how it happend, but the 2nd Dr. seems to have been able to figure it out. Looks like it wasn't the diapers, but the kirkland wipes that caused it. Once we stopped using them and switched to dry disposable "washcloths" and cotton balls which I just wet with water only his rash is nearly cleared up! The 2nd dr. I saw said they have seen a lot of babies in lately with similar rashes due to a possible change in Kirkland's formula. I had no idea the chemicals in wipes and how bad a rash they could cause! My son has horribly bad eczema as well that I'm still trying to get under control so I suppose it all just means he will have super sensitive skin. Just wanted to give an update to him and I hope no other moms have to go through what I did with my LO...

On a side note, anyone have any tips for dealing with eczema? I use aquaphore on it right now and have an herbal salve that smells horrible but neither seems to help right now :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Update to Rash from Heck! and eczema question

• Options
    Sounds awful glad you guys got it taken care of and baby bear on his way to being all healed up. I cloth diaper and recently started making my own wipes as well after reading that there are side affects in disposable wipess. I keep Huggies naturals on hand but really love my cloth wipes!

Also, are you going back to disposables or continue with the cloth diapers?
  • Options

Goodness, how awful! So glad he's on his way to recovery now. Poor baby.

I get dry/rough patches from time to time that are only treatable with shea butter... not sure if that'll work for you, but it might be worth a shot?  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Eczema - Cetaphil wash and lotion (the kind in the tub), Triple Cream, daily baths

Hydrocortisone on anything really bad - there is a new formula made for eczema that seems to work really well!  Cleared up LO's eczema patches in a day!

When they get older, I swear on Dial bar soap for baths instead of kid's soap. We all use it here (My DH, I, and both LOs have eczema!) If eczema persists into childhood, watch out for asthma!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    101Mims101Mims member

Your poor little guy!!

Our DS developed a similar rash overnight, was about 3 months ago now, and I swear it was so bad - it looked like a chemical burn and my Lord!! did he scream when I tried to tend to it. Ive never heard him like that before. 

Till it healed - about 5 days - at every nappy change I just had to give him a warm shower as I couldnt touch his poor bottom. Initially I used a bit of Germolene cream which is antiseptic and  has a mild anasthetic which soothed him. Then a day or so later I switched to some really thick butt paste, but I didn?t use wipes till he had completely healed. With our DS is was something he had eaten, and he had pooped during the night which he never does, so he had been sitting in it for a good 8hrs or more and the acidity had burnt his skinSad He?s all better now but I do check his nappy last thing at night if I can see on the monitor that he?s more restless than normal.

For the eczema - I?d stear clear of aquaphore cream or any of those parafin based creams where broken/red skin is concerned as, more often than not, it really stings when applied and in my oppinion, makes it worse. I?ve got psoriasis and eczema runs in the family and, after many years using aqueous cream on doctors advice, we dont go near it now. Drs in the UK no longer recommend that type of cream. It was actually invented as a soap to be used without water, and I know no one who wld use such harsh soap on eczema, so why people still use these type of creams is beyond me. Especially as babies often cry when it?s applied, and children tell their parents that it stings.

I?ve heard very good things about coconut oil, but other mummies had been given a mild steroid cream, and thats what I use for my skin now when it gets bad.

I?d get your little man back  to the Drs, and get his skin checked out as it can make them really miserable. Hope you manage to find something that works xx

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We also use Kirkland wipes and my DD1 has sensitive skin also, so I will definitely keep an eye on her.  Thanks for the info!  

DD1 also had/has eczema and the only thing that completely clears it is hydrocortisone.  We can generally maintain with the Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy lotion, but when it flares up we just use the hydrocortisone, it clears it overnight.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lbug09Lbug09 member
    Glad I'm seeing this! DS developed little red patches on his skin late this past week, which I'm guessing is eczema : I waited to call the dr because I thought they might go away after an oatmeal bath but now he has more. Did you all go to the dr first before trying any creams or remedies?
  • Options

imageLbug09:
    Glad I'm seeing this! DS developed little red patches on his skin late this past week, which I'm guessing is eczema : I waited to call the dr because I thought they might go away after an oatmeal bath but now he has more. Did you all go to the dr first before trying any creams or remedies?

Like I said previously, the entire family has eczema, but I did ask the pediatrician about Newbie's at the 2 mo check-up.  He's the one that told me it was okay to use hydrocortisone on it.  Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have used it since it's more of a "medication".  It worked great though.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Lbug09Lbug09 member
    Ok thanks for the info!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"