May 2013 Moms

Virtual Shower Update (long)

Last month I posted about my mom and sister wanting to host a virtual baby shower for me.  I got mixed advice.  A few had been involved in a virtual shower or two dualing showers in different locations connected via Skype. Some suggested traveling to Florida after the baby is born for a meet the baby.  A lot of people said it would be "gift grabby".  This is long, but I thought I would post and follow-up with what I decided and how it went. 

After reading all the advice, I had planned on telling my mom no, but she REALLY wanted to do it, and by the time I talked to her, she had already talked to my aunt who was also very excited about it and wanted to host the Florida portion of it at her house. 

DH and I kind of eloped, so my mom wasn't able to do anything for our wedding and I had no bridal shower, this is her first grandchild (and she is already in her 60s), and for various reasons I already declined her offer to come up to Michigan to help out with the baby. Because of that I decided to let her go ahead with it, but shared my concerns with her, and she agreed to keep it very small and focus more on showering me with "love" than "gifts".  In the invitations she suggested coming with a favorite scripture, blessing, word of encouragement or amusing story and that gifts were not necessary. 

I have to admit, I was still skeptical about the whole thing. Yesterday was the day, and I was crying on the way to the shower (we're in the process of moving, so I was dialing in from the new house which has the nursery, but we're not sleeping there yet).  I'm sure the tears were due more to hormones than anything else, but I was worried people wouldn't enjoy themselves or it would be awkward.

I shouldn't have been worried as it turned out very sweet. Four people dialed in from the hosting location in Florida (my mom, sister, aunt, and adopted grandmother) and then there were 4 people who dialed in virtually (from SC, AZ, TX, and NY).   We all connected via Google+ Hangout, which has one webcam image large and centered and everyone else's picture down at the bottom of the screen. 

As soon as I turned my web cam on I could see the faces of my family in FL light up.  When I stood up to adjust the camera and they saw my bump they burst into spontaneous applause since none of them had seen my since I started showing.

We chatted while everyone else connected, then opened with a prayer, everyone shared how they knew me, people told stories about nicknames they had as a kid or had for their own kids and then they tried to predict what my LO's nickname would be. They shared encouragement, stories, scripture versus, quotes, etc. I gave them a "tour" of the nursery.  Some people had mailed gifts in advance, so I opened those gifts and people ooo'd and aww'd over the cute baby clothes.  Then we wrapped up in prayer. 

It wasn't the traditional shower, there weren't a ton of people, and no silly baby games. Even though there were people from 6 different states it still felt small, close, and intimate. It was wonderful to be able to "see" and hear close friends and family from all over in one place, and I know that they were all happy to see and hear me as well.  It was nice to be loved on, and I know it meant a lot to my family and friends that they could do something for me and my LO. 

I would definitely say that a "virtual" shower would not work for everyone, but my hosts did a good job and there was nothing tacky or gift grabby about it.  Even my 85 year old "grandmother" had a good time and was just tickled pink by the whole thing.  The only downsides were that I couldn't eat all the yummy food they were eating and no exchanges of hugs.  But on the bright side I didn't have to worry about people wanting to touch my belly! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Virtual Shower Update (long)

• I forgot to say, thank you to all who posted previously with advice.  I really do value and appreciate all of you May moms and your advice.  Even those who said it would be tacky or gift grabby, I appreciate hearing that because it helped us to take precautions to keep it from becoming that. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • vic1011vic1011 member
    I'm glad it went well!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It sounds absolutely lovely! It seems like something if done like yours would be really nice. I'm glad you had a great time and thanks for the update!!
  • April!April! member
    That is really sweet! How wonderful for everyone. I'm glad it went well.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 9/5/2012 -- Born 5/20/2013 -- Welcome, rainbow baby!
    BFP #1 1/24/12 -- No HB 2/16/12 -- Misoprostol 3/10/12
    image image image
  • burkemsburkems member
    How sweet! It sounds really special. I'm glad it worked out.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage
  • LN1024LN1024 member

imagestar510:
    I forgot to say, thank you to all who posted previously with advice.  I really do value and appreciate all of you May moms and your advice.  Even those who said it would be tacky or gift grabby, I appreciate hearing that because it helped us to take precautions to keep it from becoming that. 

I gave some advice last time, but I just wanted to say that I'm glad it worked out and you had a great time. Sounds fun! 

• That sounds like a wonderful shower!!

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • blush64blush64 member
    That sounds really nice. It doesn't sound much like a shower but every bit as fun, and more intimate than many I have been to.
  • imageblush64:
    That sounds really nice. It doesn't sound much like a shower but every bit as fun, and more intimate than many I have been to.

This. I woukdnt call that a virtual shower, more like a "hey we want to see you and wish you well before baby comes!"

But glad it went well and you had fun.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • It sounds like the perfect way to celebrate with far away family and friends. I'm glad you had a lovely time.

View Full Size Image

• That's really nice, thanks for sharing :
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    It sounds like it turned into an event very tailored to your personality, and your family's values, which is awesome. I'm glad you and your 'guests' were able to enjoy it so much! 

I hope you do a virtual 'meet the baby' with the same people! lol. I bet they would love it!
  • imagekmcd23:
    I hope you do a virtual 'meet the baby' with the same people! lol. I bet they would love it!

This sounds like a great idea.  "Virtual Shower" by itself made me skeptical, but it sounds like it was a great opportunity to connect with others, and that they would love to see the baby the same way.

• Sounds like a wonderful event!
  • Sounds like you had a good time!
                              Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicphoto r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif
                            Anniversary
                           BFP#1- April 24th. M/c-April 30th. BFP#2-September 11th. EDD: May 25th. 
                                      It's a girl!!! (: Madison arrived on May 19th at 6:35 am (:
                                                               * July '15 January siggy challenge.*
  • It sounds like a great memory to hold onto and I am glad it went so well. I think you guys did it just right and am happy your family and friends got to participate.

bfp #1 10/15/2009 m/c 11/4/09 10 weeks Lily you are not forgotten
    bfp #2 4/5/2010 CP, m/c 4/12/10 5 weeks Baby Lo
    Diagnosed PCOS 10/10 RX 1500 mg Metformin/day
    bfp#3 4/5/2011 Missed m/c discovered 5/24/2011 (10w 5d) baby Asher stopped growing at 6 weeks
    I know he is playing with his siblings in heaven right now...

rx'd factor II gene mutation 7/11 prescribed 5000 units Heparin daily
    rx'd Sjogren's Disease 8/11

bfp #4 9-6-2012 RAINBOW Baby Ky born 5-9-13
    bfp #5 8-26-14  RAINBOW #2 Due 5-8-2015

baby development
  • It sounds really lovely! Glad it went so well!!

TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• imageBeckyTheEngineer:
    imagekmcd23:

This sounds like a great idea.  "Virtual Shower" by itself made me skeptical, but it sounds like it was a great opportunity to connect with others, and that they would love to see the baby the same way.

That is a good idea!  I was already planning on bringing my laptop to the hospital so the new grandma and grandpa could "meet" her, but it might be nice to let other far away friends and family "meet" her once things get less crazy. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • That sounds like such a sweet experience! I agree with the others, it doesn't sound like a traditional shower, it sounds much better :)
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • rebaannrebaann member
    That sounds lovely.  I'm glad it worked out so well.
    My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

This discussion has been closed.