Baby Names

My LO's name - pronunciation question

Hi ladies,

My LO's name is Nicklaus.  He's named after DH's grandfather, who was Austrian.  How would you say it?  I know that the proper way to say it is similar nick-LOUS (DH calls him 'Klaus" (kind of rhymes with 'house", I call him Nicky).  Anyways, when people ask me his name, I usualy just pronounce it like Nicholas.  I feel weird doing that though, since that's not technically his name, but feel weird pronouncing it the "right" way.  Am I being silly?

Re: My LO's name - pronunciation question

• Too funny.

There's a character on the television show named Nicklaus. Everyone calls him Klaus, except his family members, who use his full name.

DH and I were JUST talking about the name when we were watching the show this week and I said how I really like the name Nicklaus, even better than Nicholas. I would embrace the correct pronunciation. It's a great name.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would have pronounced it correctly having seen it written out. I feel like if you tell people his name is "Nicholas" they are going to eventually spell it that way, which would be incorrect, and could cause him problems in the long run. Obviously as a baby that isn't going to happen yet, but for the future. I think you picked a great name and you should embrace it! But if you call him Klaus or Nicky, you can always introduce him that way too, as kids as often introduced/called by their nicknames. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I pronounce Nicklaus to rhyme with house. It's a great name!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I pronounce Nicklaus to rhyme with house also, like the character on the Vampire Diaries.

Yes, I think telling people the incorrect pronunciation of your child's name because you are "embarrassed' is silly.

• imageBlondangel:
    I pronounce Nicklaus to rhyme with house. It's a great name!

I do too. There's a similar sounding last name in my extended family so I know that -aus is pronounced like (h)ouse. 

Anniversary
  • You're being silly Stick out tongue Nicklaus pronounced correctly is an awesome name.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think it's bizarre you don't feel comfortable pronouncing your son's name correctly. If you didn't like the name, you should have named him something different. What about when he's older? Are you still going to mispronounce it then? What message will that give him about his name? That he should be embarrassed or ashamed of it? I think it sets him up for the future.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagestarshineamator:
    I would have pronounced it correctly having seen it written out. I feel like if you tell people his name is "Nicholas" they are going to eventually spell it that way, which would be incorrect, and could cause him problems in the long run. Obviously as a baby that isn't going to happen yet, but for the future. I think you picked a great name and you should embrace it! But if you call him Klaus or Nicky, you can always introduce him that way too, as kids as often introduced/called by their nicknames. 

This. I'd pronounce it like Nick-KLAUS (rhymes with house).

That is his name. It may take some explaining when people ask (i.e. explaining the roots of it, spelling, ect) but it's a lot less explaining than when people assume his name is Nicholas.

And I also think it's fine for you to call him Nicky in when people ask. Klaus, I think they will assume is his actually first name and never know what his true first name is. Nicky, people will naturally assume is a nickname for something.

Suprise BFP: 8/17/11 (previous relationship)
    Natural m/c: 10/17/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Me (Katie)
    DX:PCOS
    DH (Adam
    Married 10/11/12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 since 3/12
  • amie444amie444 member
    My name is Amie pronounced Ahmay. And my mom got tired of correcting everyone. So I am just 'Amy'. I wish she had stuck to her guns.

• I wouldn't say it just like Nicholas. But I'd def say "Nick - Loss" instead of "Nick - Lous" as in House... but I totally understand the latter is probably proper.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebrooksidebride:
    I wouldn't say it just like Nicholas. But I'd def say "Nick Loss" instead of "Nick Lous" as in House... but I totally understand the latter is probably proper.

NickLoss is how I would pronounce it also.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would introduce him by the proper pronunciation, nick-LOUS. I always introduce my oldest by his full name even though I mostly call him Theo.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imagemrsmcdonald:
    I think it's bizarre you don't feel comfortable pronouncing your son's name correctly. If you didn't like the name, you should have named him something different. What about when he's older? Are you still going to mispronounce it then? What message will that give him about his name? That he should be embarrassed or ashamed of it? I think it sets him up for the future.

This.

• ZimgerZimger member

I love the name Klaus.

If you pronounce it Ni-klaus then I see no reason to pronounce it Nicholas. I think that would be confusing for others and for your son when he gets older. If it bothers you to say it this way then I would just introduce him by Nicky or Klaus.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It sounds like you don't like your son's name and you gave in because of your husband's family ties. It's his name now and I think you should introduce him with the correct pronunciation or Nicky, but not Nicholas. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTGP March Siggy Challenge
  • I guess I shouldn't have typed "Nicholas", I actually say it closer to Nick-loss (like the golfer), but didn't know how to describe it late last night when I wrote the post.  I love the name Nicklaus, and I'm going to embrace the "ous" pronunciation, thanks ladies!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"