Breastfeeding

When to quit breastfeeding?

I had to stop breastfeeding LO when he was 10 1/2 weeks because I hit a low point in my PPD. I went on a pumping spree and got back somewhat of a supply back but now at 12 1/2 weeks my LO is so so on the breast.
I feed him during the night and I try to feed him the morning feedings. LO stays on for only the first letdown where he gulps down the milk like he's drowning but gets off soon after. He then is still fidgety. I end up trying to feed him again and he uses me to fall asleep. It's like he just "snack" instead of getting a full feeding. I've waited til he's starving and he doesn't want to wait til I get a letdown at all. Then I've caught him when he's just ready to eat and it's a hot or miss whether he'll actually stay on the breast or not. I end up pumping for the afternoon feedings because I'm that he's not emptying my breasts enough.
I just don't know when it's time to throw in the towel and quit. I want to keep breastfeeding but he doesn't seem to be staying on long enough to fill himself and he definitely won't eat off both breasts at any feeding, only one. I'm so tired of pumping, but breastfeeding at night is so much better than giving a bottle. And I love the bonding that it provides while also giving him the best I can.
He doesn't take bottle very well, barely 3 oz and that's a struggle to give him even.
When should I call this quits?

Re: When to quit breastfeeding?

• Would a weighed feeding with an LC reassure you how much he's taking at a nursing session? Because it seems entirely plausible based on what you wrote that he's getting plenty at the breast, and the reason he won't take the second breast or will only snack after the initial letdown is done is that he's filled his tummy.

How is his weight gain? Wet and dirty diaper count? 

• imagejess9802:

Would a weighed feeding with an LC reassure you how much he's taking at a nursing session? Because it seems entirely plausible based on what you wrote that he's getting plenty at the breast, and the reason he won't take the second breast or will only snack after the initial letdown is done is that he's filled his tummy.

This is what I would think, too. FWIW, my LO never fully "empties" my breast, and I never seem to run out of milk at a feeding, but he's been gaining weight like crazy. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO is 16 weeks today and whenever he gets a bottle he will only take 2 1/5 to 3 oz if thats and help
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I would see a lactation consultant. My LO gulps quickly in the beginning (I have an overactive letdown) and sometimes that all she'll take because the milk goes down so fast she thinks she's full. The LC helped me to slow her down so that she didn't feel full as quickly and was able to get more hindmilk. Also, if she's fidgety try burping longer and trying to feed a bit more.oo
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A 3oz bottle is within the normal range for a breast fed baby. How does he act after he's done with the breast. If he's content he's probably getting enough and is satisfied.

Around the three to four month mark babies get more efficient at the breast and will nurse for less time. My second baby started doing 10minutes at 2 months because of my over active letdown and just being more efficient. Some babies are also just snackers. They eat a little bit with frequent nursing sessions. As long as diapers are good and he's gaining weight you're probably doing fine.
  • imageRunaway22:
    imagejess9802:

Would a weighed feeding with an LC reassure you how much he's taking at a nursing session? Because it seems entirely plausible based on what you wrote that he's getting plenty at the breast, and the reason he won't take the second breast or will only snack after the initial letdown is done is that he's filled his tummy.

This is what I would think, too. FWIW, my LO never fully "empties" my breast, and I never seem to run out of milk at a feeding, but he's been gaining weight like crazy. 

Same here. I often feel like he doesn't fully empty the breast and my baby is in the 82nd percentile for weight, and doing well.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I give him the breast and he lasts 3 to 5 min then gets off. He constantly refuses to take anymore but when I put him on his chair, he gnaws at his hands, fidgety, and bubbling at the mouth.

He doesn't even make it through the initial ketdown
  • I mean 3 to 5 minutes. Doesn't even get through the initial letdown
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"