Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Rice Cereal

Did any of your LO's have runny explosive poo up to 8 times a day after starting rice cereal?  It started 5 days after we introduced it. So I am not sure if its that or he is just poopy. I know the guidelines on rice cereal so please don't post telling me that I should have waited until 4 months Thanks :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Rice Cereal

• I am just gonna throw it out there and say it might be because a 3 month old's stomach can't digest it well. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it could really have something to do with how old your LO is. Also could be dependent on how much  you are feeding, how often...etc. Could also be allergic. With the intro of solids to DD1 when she was 6 months, her poop got thicker, not thinner, so it could really be a reaction to the cereal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • no that's not normal.  If you haven't introduced anything else new its probably a clue that it's not agreeing with him.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like his tummy wasn't ready for rice cereal. I'd stop giving it, and see if it helps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I stopped giving it to him because I wasn't sure about it.  I put a call into my pedi.
  • I'm allergic to rice. I usually won't have a reaction unless I eat a large serving of brown rice or if I have white rice several days in a row. My reaction is really bad abdominal cramping, diarrhea, nausea, occasionally itchy skin

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • I mean, you seem to grasp that you didn't follow the guidelines yet you don't want people pointing out that in doing so, THAT is likely the issue.  The whole reason the guideline is four months is because their digestive systems need to be mature enough to handle solids.  You didn't wait and your did isn't handling solids well.  It was your call as the parent but you seem to want an answer that doesn't fly in the face of your choice, you know?
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imagej3nnyb:
    The guideline is to start solids at 6 months... 

That is not exactly true. You can start as early as 4 months IF the child seems ready. Most people wait until 6 months, but there is nothing wrong with starting at 4 months if your child is ready.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • It could be several things. Baby was not ready for rice, allergy, contamination, overfeeding....guess you will have to wait to see what the pedi says.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• You could stop giving him the cereal for a week or so and see if it stops, then you know it is in fact the cereal. Then if you're still intent on him having some sort of solids, you could do oatmeal cereal as a PP said. And if that causes the same issue I would take that to mean maybe LO just isn't ready yet and hold off for a few more weeks and try again.
  • Rice can actually have kind of a binding effect, so I'm guessing it's just not agreeing with LO.  My best advice would be to stop and see if it clears up.
  • Maybe a clue your child was not ready for solid food? Not what you wanna hear but likely the case. Guidelines are in place for a reason.
  • imageBettyCo:
    Maybe a clue your child was not ready for solid food? Not what you wanna hear but likely the case. Guidelines are in place for a reason.

Yep, this. Why would you give a three month old solids? The absolute earliest age recommended is 4 months. What's the rush anyway?
  • I didn't start trying cereal until 4 months. And when I did, it constipated her because of the ++ iron. :(
  • Update he has a stomach bug. Pedi said the cereal had nothing to do with it. After the bug clears up she said I can go back to the cereal.
  • imagepwyckhouse:
    Update he has a stomach bug. Pedi said the cereal had nothing to do with it. After the bug clears up she said I can go back to the cereal.

Your pediatrician sounds like they're working with bad info. Your Lo is far too young for cereal
  • imagemabenner1:
    imagepwyckhouse:
    Update he has a stomach bug. Pedi said the cereal had nothing to do with it. After the bug clears up she said I can go back to the cereal.

Your pediatrician sounds like they're working with bad info. Your Lo is far too young for cereal

I agree with mabenner. I don't get why feeding him cereal is so vital this young.
  • Although there is alot of debate with solids too soon my baby was perfectly fine and he started it at a few weeks old with a tablespoon per 4ounces in every bottle due to acid reflux... Dont beat your self up with all the negativity and just do what you see to be fit for your little one :) Whats good (bad) one week is the opposite the next... 
  • Wow, Really? Was there really a reason you had to be so rude? She obviously asked for help not to get put down...And as a matter of fact, it is okay in certain circumstances to give babies rice cereal! My son is just now 3 months and has reflux and his doctor recommended it. He has not had any problems! To the girl who asked the question, maybe try giving a little less cereal! People are just ignorant and have their own opinions...Its up to you if you keep giving the cereal its not anybody elses place to tell you your wrong or right, your the parent to your child not them! Good Luck!!
  • Oh and btw, my son started taking cereal in his bottle at 2 months because of reflux...His gastroenterologist recommended it! A stomach doctor!! I dont understand why people have to be rude when someone is obviously in need of help but everyone that doesnt agree has to be a complete about their own opinions. She didnt ask to be bashed for doing it!
  • imageLisalynn32:
    Wow, Really? Was there really a reason you had to be so rude? She obviously asked for help not to get put down...And as a matter of fact, it is okay in certain circumstances to give babies rice cereal! My son is just now 3 months and has reflux and his doctor recommended it. He has not had any problems! To the girl who asked the question, maybe try giving a little less cereal! People are just ignorant and have their own opinions...Its up to you if you keep giving the cereal its not anybody elses place to tell you your wrong or right, your the parent to your child not them! Good Luck!!

lolz 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were told to put rice cereal in our son's bottle when he was 2 weeks old bc he wasnt gaining weight per their regulations.  Go by what you feel is right, there is no right and wrong.  Each baby is different and are on different schedules.  Back when I was born we were started on rice cereal at 3 months, now they recommend 4 unless the baby isnt gaining enough.  Some babies are given it at 3 days old.  Follow your pediatrician's advice.
  • Our son has days of 5-9 poops and some of 1 maybe 2...he is just starting rice cereal again for the 3rd time (long story) and dr said its normal at his age.  Are you mixing it with breast milk or formula? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"