June 2013 Moms
Options

Self cervix exam different than sex?

I talking to my two friends yesterday (both due in June) and one mentioned she was going to start doing self cervix checks to see if she was dilated. Aside from many people believing that they are not really an accurate way to see how soon delivery will come, the other friend freaked out and said how unsafe it was and how it could give the baby an infection from pushing bacteria around. I honestly hadn't thought much of it, but I sort of don't see how different it is than having sex at this point... at least Friend 1 was going to wash her hands and use a glove, I'm pretty sure DH isn't going to bother soaping up before DTD!

I'm not super-interested in the importance of doing the exams or not (at home or at your midwife/OB office) but if anyone knows why they might cause infection if sex is still okay. Thoughts?

photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Self cervix exam different than sex?

• Options
    There is a much greater risk of infection because our hands are nasty. There are so many germs even after washing with hot soap and water. Also, she would need to use sterile gloves and not just regular medical grade gloves. Not only could she cause an infection she could also accidentally break her water.
    And while a penis has germs on it, there are far fewer than what could be found on your fingers. Also, our husbands aren't using their penis to feel around inside our cervix to see how open it is.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think PP covered it. I don't think I'll be participating in any home cervical checks.
    BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, it's not my cup of tea, and I'm honestly not even sure I could reach at this point if I wanted to, just curious! FWIW, she has sterile gloves, and my OB has used boxed gloves to check me in the past, so I'm not sure how much difference it makes.
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    skioskio member
    Ditto Britt. A guy's wang is not touching dirty doorknobs and ATM buttons and nasty keyboards and whatnot.

[lol, did anyone else just picture a dude touching all the things I just mentioned with his wiener? I'm twelve.]

Plus, a cervical check means actually inserting fingers into the cervix a bit to check dilation. Penises don't go into the cervix. Not to mention, if she does it wrong, she can bring on contractions and/or premature labor.

Self cervical checks are really dumb and irresponsible, IMO.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageskio:
    Ditto Britt. A guy's wang is not touching dirty doorknobs and ATM buttons and nasty keyboards and whatnot.

[lol, did anyone else just picture a dude touching all the things I just mentioned with his wiener? I'm twelve.]

Plus, a cervical check means actually inserting fingers into the cervix a bit to check dilation. Penises don't go into the cervix. Not to mention, if she does it wrong, she can bring on contractions and/or premature labor.

I totally pictured it and giggled. Just going to ditto you

CJ 05/29/2013

• Options
    imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    imageskio:

I totally pictured it and giggled. Just going to ditto you

Haha me too and it's the funniest mental picture! No self checks for me.
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye
  • Options
    BonjujuBonjuju member

imageskio:
    Ditto Britt. A guy's wang is not touching dirty doorknobs and ATM buttons and nasty keyboards and whatnot. [lol, did anyone else just picture a dude touching all the things I just mentioned with his wiener? I'm twelve.] Plus, a cervical check means actually inserting fingers into the cervix a bit to check dilation. Penises don't go into the cervix. Not to mention, if she does it wrong, she can bring on contractions and/or premature labor. Self cervical checks are really dumb and irresponsible, IMO.

I totally pictured it and the doorknob image cracked me up the most. 

• Options
    imageBonjuju:

imageskio:
    Ditto Britt. A guy's wang is not touching dirty doorknobs and ATM buttons and nasty keyboards and whatnot. [lol, did anyone else just picture a dude touching all the things I just mentioned with his wiener? I'm twelve.] Plus, a cervical check means actually inserting fingers into the cervix a bit to check dilation. Penises don't go into the cervix. Not to mention, if she does it wrong, she can bring on contractions and/or premature labor. Self cervical checks are really dumb and irresponsible, IMO.

I totally pictured it and the doorknob image cracked me up the most. 

Hahaha! Me too!

I used to check my cervix when TTC, but I'll leave checking dilation to the doc.

TTC#1 Oct 2010
    DS born May 2013
    TFAS Feb 2016
    EDD 07/29/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have never heard of someone doing her own cervix checks. That is insane. 

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options
    Who does that and what is it going to accomplish? Dilation isn't really a good indicator of impending labor.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageSouthSideDrea:
    Your friends are dumb.nbsp;

True story

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"