June 2013 Moms

Anybody Else Weirded Out?

I think I've got issues. I actually am weirded out by the fact my DH is coming with me to my next Dr. appt which involves a cervical exam. So far, the only time he was with me when I was getting checked out under the hood was at the ER several months back, and I asked him to step out of the room. I know I've got to get used to this in time for D-day, but it just seems so vulnerable to have him in the room WITH the Dr. What is wrong with me? I better get used to it. Please say I'm not the only one...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anybody Else Weirded Out?

• He's been in the room twice now for exams I've had down there since this pregnancy began although never in direct view of the action. I find it more comical than anything it wierds him out but I also think it gives him a greater appreciation for all that I'm going through for this baby and as a woman!
  • I let my husband in the internals with dd#1 and during delivery I made him stay by my head, lol
  • Loading the player...
  • It doesn't bother me if he's in the room while I'm getting checked out, nothing he hasn't seen. I think it helps him appreciate all the things I have to go through while pregnant.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • hjk5000hjk5000 member
    Eh, I think I would be weirded out if he was standing right up in there with the doctor, but otherwise no. I'm really used to him being there for appointments though. Lots of vag cam monitoring by the RE for both of my pregnancies.
    PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DH has been in all of my appointments and since they were monitoring me closely for placenta / vasa previa he has been there for internals and lots of vag cams!

• Yeah, he did get me into this position to begin with so yeah, sure. He's familiar with the territory, shall we say. But it's just a whole other issue (I have to get over) when there's yet other company in the room. Just awkward. I don't know. But maybe allowing him to be there for this next internal exam will help me get over it later in the L & D room (of course I'm sure I'll be so in pain or out of it that I won't care at that point!) Oddly enough, the one thing that a lot of people are worried about-pooping while pushing-is not a fear of mine. Weird. ;p
  • hjk5000hjk5000 member

imagedlBinger61713:
    Yeah, he did get me into this position to begin with so yeah, sure. He's familiar with the territory, shall we say. But it's just a whole other issue (I have to get over) when there's yet other company in the room. Just awkward. I don't know. But maybe allowing him to be there for this next internal exam will help me get over it later in the L & D room (of course I'm sure I'll be so in pain or out of it that I won't care at that point!) Oddly enough, the one thing that a lot of people are worried about-pooping while pushing-is not a fear of mine. Weird. ;p

I don't think you're weird. Some things are just awkward and this is one of them. It will go right out the window when you're in active labor though, I promise. Don't even give it a second thought. :) 

PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I won't be weirded out at all. There's not much mystery to preserve in our relationship.
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageariaforte8:
    I won't be weirded out at all. There's not much mystery to preserve in our relationship.

Yeah, I feel the same way after DH came into the bathroom while I was bathing and told me to check out a pimple on his butt. Yeah, TMI. Thanks, hun. Mystery gone. At least he took care of it himself. Yuck! 

• imageariaforte8:
    I won't be weirded out at all. There's not much mystery to preserve in our relationship.

Yeah, I feel the same way after DH came into the bathroom while I was bathing and told me to check out a pimple on his butt. Yeah, TMI. Thanks, hun. Mystery gone. At least he took care of it himself. Yuck! 

• I wasn't weirded out, but my DH really was. It was totally different in the hospital though. I think the close proximity in the doctors office didn't really help.
  • DH has been with me for every appointment. He make inappropriate jokes when were waiting for the MW to do the internal but it doesn't bother me. I mean he's seen everything in full detail already.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • Nope.  We did IVF.  He's seen a team full of people all up in my vag before.
  • I'm sure you're not the only one.

Hopefully he doesn't make grossed out faces while standing behind the brand new resident as he checks your cervix. Just sayin'.

If he's gonna put his penis in me, he better be able to deal with being uncomfortable during exams bc it's nothing compared to how I feel.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBrassyClarinet:

My DH has been present for tons of checks, including the nine week u/s where they shove the wand up you-know-where.

I would think he's familiar with the territory considering you're here, but hey...

Seriously, it's okay to say vagina.

• imageHelgaFunk:
    imageBrassyClarinet:

My DH has been present for tons of checks, including the nine week u/s where they shove the wand up you-know-where.

I would think he's familiar with the territory considering you're here, but hey...

Seriously, it's okay to say vagina.

lol
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH has been to all of the baby related appointments so far including ER visits and has been in the room for t/v u/s and early on in the pregnancy, cervical checks.  I thought it would be awkward but he stayed near my head and it was OK.  
    Married 6/11/2011
    Jack Walden born 6/17/2013  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Forever and A Day (Life and Love in Los Angeles)  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our OB rooms have a little curtained area with a chair so DH could close the curtain... or just not look... if it really bothers you. But if you're having a vaginal delivery you're going to have to get over it pretty soon anyway!
  • Just have him stay by your head for exams. Birth will be a different story, you probably won't care. That's how I was at least.
  • I feel like you I just don't want him seeing my vag in a bloody state of horror, I feel like it will traumatized him to see it tearing.. Hospitals freak him out I am asking him to stay at my head lol
  • Well ... honestly it seems a little weird to me. :) Especially since he was involved in making the baby. It's not like it's something he hasn't seen before, lol.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • SO has been at every appointment. So he has now seen me: receive a pap and 2 transvaginal ultrasounds. Also, since I can no longer see my vagina, I have him look at it if I'm sore or swollen so I can have an idea of what is going on. We have no shame.
  • With DD I had to go to the hospital at 32 weeks for timetable contractions.  In triage they hooked me up to the machines to monitor and sent in the doctor to check me.  Poor DH was sitting in the only chair in the room, which happened to be at the foot of the bed.  So he was up close and personal for the whole cervical check.  I have no problem with him being there but I felt that might have been a little uncomfortable for him.
  • Faith7Faith7 member

Quite the contrary: DH is the only one I really trust to be poking about in there.  I feel much safer and more comfortable when he's in the room with me during an exam.  I really wish I could just have him deliver the baby for me.

• I guess I'm comfortable enough with my body and with my husband that it doesn't really concern me. He has a child with his ex wife and she made him stay up by her head but I told him I wanted him to see what was going on. I want him to see this life being brought into the world and to tell me what it's like. I'm 40 and this is the most important thing I've ever done in my life and I want him to experience it in all its glory.

• I love the confidence so many of you exude with your SO around. The cervical exam coming up will be a nice test of mine. (My confidence AND my SO.) But he's the type who usually remains cool in awkward/stressful situations, and even witnessed his own mother give birth to 2 of his 8 siblings when he himself was just a teenager. As long as he doesn't try to crack a stupid pun joke while the dr. is examining me we'll be fine. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"