June 2013 Moms

Perineal massages (gulp)

OK, I'll be honest. I hop over to everydayfamily.com as well and for their 33 week checklist, they mentioned trying perineal massages for especially FTMs. I read the instructions and I have to say I'm not sure I can perform one on myself. I'm pretty sure I don't want hubby trying it on me though. Have any of you tried it yet and if you are a STM, did you have success with it and not tearing with your first? And is it really all that uncomfortable? In the article, it says it should sting with the stretching exercises you do. At least the first few times. That doesn't sound like a walk in the park to me, but neither does tearing. Pros/Cons...or is it all bull? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Perineal massages (gulp)

• ehnastoehnasto member

I'm a FTM as well but have already talked to my doctor about these. I expressed my desire and almost need to not have an episiotomy (sp?). She said doing perineal massages with food grade mineral oil starting at about 33 or 34 weeks would help decrease the chance of being cut and should decrease tearing. She says it helps and does work.

She did say it won't necessary eliminate all tearing complete but will decrease it and of course if cutting is a medical necessity then that will be done.

• jynxxyjynxxy member
    imageehnasto:
    I'm a FTM as well but have already talked to my doctor about these. I expressed my desire and almost need to not have an episiotomy sp?. She said doing perineal massages with food grade mineral oil starting at about 33 or 34 weeks would help decrease the chance of being cut and should decrease tearing. She says it helps and does work. She did say it won't necessary eliminate all tearing complete but will decrease it and of course if cutting is a medical necessity then that will be done.

All of this, plus I'll add: you can buy a sex toy called the "dilator", which is helpful for reaching. I got mine on amazon for 20 on my hypnobirthing instructors recommendation. I find it does help with bring able to reach, but my hubby does a better job at the massage. I plan to continue both methods :
  • Loading the player...
  • It's hard to say about effectiveness. Didn't do it before.  Not planning on it this time. 

I had a quick labor with DD1 which usually means lots of tearing.  I had a 1st degree tear that only took one stitch. SIL had a 27hr labor, had been doing massage, and had a 2nd degree tear with 3 stitches. 

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm curious about massages as well but my main problem is that I cannot comfortably reach my vagina at this stage - at least not enough to do an effective massage. And my husband won't even help me shave my legs - there's no way he's lubing up and doing this with/for me.
  • imageLuthien1015:
    I'm curious about massages as well but my main problem is that I cannot comfortably reach my vagina at this stage - at least not enough to do an effective massage. And my husband won't even help me shave my legs - there's no way he's lubing up and doing this with/for me.

I can reach it, but not sure if I'll be stretching it in the right place. I feel dumb for even admitting that. 

• sheacoxsheacox member
    I'm not doing this... My dr Said honestly... If you are going to rip, you will probably rip no matter what. 

TTC since 03/2011
    BFP#1 spontaneous conception! 4/28/12 natural MC on 5/9/12
    IUI#1 with clomid and trigger on 9/12/12
    BFP#2 on 9/26/12 EDD 6/5/13
    Beta #1 143 14dpo Beta #2 343 16dpo Beta #3 920 18dpo
    Please, Please, Please stick baby!

Baby Mackenzie born 5/28/2013!

BabyFruit Ticker

• There is a lot I'm willing to do to prepare for labor but this is not one of them.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm also a FTM but am trying perineal massage.  I found it's easier for me to reach myself if I have one foot propped up.  It does sting a little bit but I started with just a minute or two the first few days and gradually added time to 5ish minutes each day.  My H has helped with it, too.  Just be sure your/your partner's nails are short and without any snags.

Good luck!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• My doctor recommends it...but I haven't tried it yet. I had a friend (who had this same doc for both of her deliveries) tell me that she (the dr) actually does them on the patient before you deliver if there is enough time. I'm debating on trying it...HAHA, I'm on bed rest for 1-2 weeks, so what the heck else will I have going on?!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I did nothing last time and didn't tear. The midwife was oiling and gently stretching while I pushed so I suppose that probably helped quite a bit.

• I'm planning on doing it however I was told not before 37 weeks as it can possibly send you into early labor.

I can still reach with a little maneuvering. I plan to use organic coconut oil. I hear olive oil is good too
              image image

• Funny story, when I was in labor with my daughter almost ten years ago, I was 19. The nurse, with no warning, sticks her fingers inside, rolling around, massage, and stretching. Of course I'm like "So, what are you doing?!" She explains she's massaging my perineal so I will be less likely to tear. Which lead to my response of "Oh sweet! Thank you, carry on!" We giggled and after delivery I only needed two tiny sutures. Bless her heart!
  • imageiggles09:
    I plan to use organic coconut oil. I hear olive oil is good too

Couldn't you just use some PAM? Stick out tongue

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• imageJinglesChic:

imageiggles09:
    I plan to use organic coconut oil. I hear olive oil is good too

Couldn't you just use some PAM? Stick out tongue

"gotta admit, it's a valid question."

• OK, so it sounds like most of us are just on the fence about even trying it in the first place. I haven't jumped off the fence yet. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"