Pre-School and Daycare

4 days or 5?

DD1 will be 5 in October.  She will finish her 2nd year of preschool this month.  Since she will miss our district's birthday cut-off for Kindergarten, I signed her up for 4day/wk Pre-K at the same school.

Today they announced a 5day/wk Pre-K option.  It's the same hours per day, 2.5.  On one hand I think it would be a better prep for all-day Kinder the next year.  On another, I like the idea of another year with a "free day." WWYD?

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
PgAL/PAL Welcome
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 4 days or 5?

• I think it depends on your family and the school district. Around here I would say at least twice a month kids only go 4 days a week due to grading, etc. so it would still give you time for the family stuff. As far as a kinder benefit I don't really see anything major, but if you feel you would like the extra time and your DD would benefit go for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • KL777KL777 member
    I would do the 4. They have the rest of their shcool aged life to be in school.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Loading the player...
  • I think it depends on the child. My oldest loves school and getting to play with friends, so he would want to go 5 days a week over 4 days. But it wasn't a choice for us. Where we are, everyone goes 5 days a week.

I don't see anything wrong in pulling them out to do fun things when they pop up. But if the school day is only 2.5 hours, you can easily fit in outings after school gets out as well.

Hawaii
  • imageKL777:
    I would do the 4. They have the rest of their shcool aged life to be in school.

I agree with this, unless he/she has a preference of their own or you think they would feel left out knowing most of the other kids are together on that extra day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Honestly I do not think there will be any difference in her prep for full day if she is 4 half days or 5. But is it two different classes? I would not want her in class where some kids are there 4 and others 5 because she will miss something. That said if she will be with you or DH the other day and it is all 4 days a week I would take the day with her that you will never have again.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • jlw2505jlw2505 member
    Given that she will only be going for 2.5 hours, I would do the 5 day a week option.  Going to kindergarten is a huge adjustment and my kids did full time daycare/preschool and then full time PreK at the elementary and my older DD (just finishing kindy) still struggled the first few weeks of school.  Its a huge adjustment to have the full day and a lot more learning going on throughout the day even with lunch, recess and the extra's tossed in.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I would only do 4 days. That free day is nice to have for 'field trips' to the zoo, museum, etc. on non-weekend, less crowded days. Obviously you could sign up for 5 and just miss a day here or there, but honestly, it won't make a difference in readiness for Kindergarten. Also, remember, if you do 5 days, that is 5 days of pick-up/drop-off for just a short preschool day. That just sounds completely unfun as well. I don't like to feel 'overscheduled' and 5 days of preschool just sounds too busy.

It's a huge adjustment from preschool to K and all kids have issues with 5 days in a row and longer days, etc. 5 half days of preschool just can't compare in any way.

My 4 yr old son is only going 3 mornings this year. I have a bible study with childcare provided that he has gone with me to on a 4th morning. So he's had socialization with kids for 4 mornings per week most weeks. I have loved having that other weekday morning as a free time with both boys!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"